If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

High Sierra and Plex Home Theater

tonywastonywas Posts: 29Members ✭✭

I'm still using Plex Home Theater on a Mac Mini because the new Plex Media Player has been too troublesome. I am interested to know if there are any incompatibility issues with PHT with High Sierra. I don't want to install and find out it breaks PHT. If no one knows, I'll clone the hard drive, then do the install and if it breaks I'll revert.

TIA.

Best Answer

Answers

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 2,050Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Out of curiosity the original PHT or OpenPHT?

• tonywastonywas Posts: 29Members ✭✭

The last PHT, version 1.4.

Thanks.

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 2,050Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tonywas said:
    The last PHT, version 1.4.

Thanks.

Latest version of OpenPHT https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/264209/release-openpht-1-8-0#latest work on High Sierra 10.13.1Developer Beta

• mrbofusmrbofus Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Home Theater seems to work fine for the most part for me. I upgraded to High Sierra the day it was released (I think September 25?) and the only issue is that videos will freeze randomly for about 5-7 seconds, but the audio will keep playing, and then the video will speed up to catch up and then it will be back in sync. If I jump back 7 seconds or more, that will fix the issue too.

It's not consistent though. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all, sometimes it happens 2-3 times for one file. And it's not the file itself, because I can stream from the Plex app on an Apple TV just fine. Or across the network, I can open the file via VLC and it plays back just fine. Or I can open Plex on my iPhone and stream anything with no freezes. It is only when playing back via PHT that I have any freezing issues.

Plex Home Theater is running on a late-2014 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB Fusion Drive. Most recent version of macOS and PMS and PHT installed. All media is on a 5TB external USB 3 drive connected directly to the Mac mini.

I would like to avoid going to PMP, since I think the interface is horrible. Browsing through hundreds of movies in PMP is so much more tedious than on PHT! And you can only have poster/folder/list view for ALL libraries. I want my movies library to be in "poster" view while my other libraries to be in folder view. PHT does it just fine, so why can't PMP?

• Ray33Ray33 Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited January 2

Having the same problem as mrbofus - the latest versions of PMS, PHT/OpenPHT on High Sierra cause random video freezes (audio continues then the video skips ahead to sync back up). I notice Kodi users have also been having similar problems. I've have gone back to older PMS versions and tried the latest version of OpenPHT also without success.

Anyone come up with a fix other than downgrading back to Sierra?

I have begrudgingly tried using PMP and have had mixed results. Previously, under PHT, the video would pause while the audio would continue, and then after about 5 seconds, the video would fast forward to catch up to the audio. Now, under PMP (running the beta channel), I have had the audio go silent while the video continues, with the audio coming back in about 5 seconds later. Today, I watched one movie using PMP and had no issues.

I even bought a new hard drive to transfer my movies to, because I thought maybe upgrading my previous hard drive to APFS when High Sierra came out was the cause of the issue. So I formatted my new hard drive as HFS+, but ran into the issue of the audio going silent yesterday.

Under preferences in OpenPHT I've disabled Hardware Acceleration and while CPU usage has increased there's been no more freezing/stuttering.

I am still testing (haven't had much time to watch movies/TV in the past couple days) but so far PMP seems to be working. I haven't had any video freezing nor audio silence since that first occurrence.

• tonywastonywas Posts: 29Members ✭✭

I deleted all my PHT preferences from ~/home/Library and started over. My problems all went away, except that now the up and down arrows on my Apple Remote were remapped by Apple in High Sierra. Need to work on a fix for that and will try Candelair first.

• BulldogWiBulldogWi Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i don't know what PHT is but I'm using High Sierra (if that makes any difference)?

Problem (video freezing) came back even with HW acceleration disabled - for now my fix has been to go back to Sierra.

• Essential-InfoEssential-Info Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having this issue on a MacMini, using PHT (because I prefer the ease of the interface). TV Shows are on a Synology NAS, that is wired via LAN back to MacMini that has the Plex Server software. Video freezes, audio doesn't ... then video races ahead to catch up. Occurring 2-3 times per show.

• sebasbosebasbo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having the same issue. PHT on High Sierra, it started after the upgrade and video just freezes while audio continues for a few seconds and then plays fast till it catches up. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when/why it happens.

Would love for someone from Plex to come comment on this thread.