If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server Unresponsive - deadlocks on 1.9.2 and 1.9.4

SystemSystem Posts: 223 Plex Employee
This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows PMS not responding - Help Please.

Comments

• T&JPlexT&JPlex Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 10

Hello, This sounds like an identical issue that I am having. Is this something that you can look into for me as well? I have logs from today 10/10/17 that I grabbed after the server went unresponsive. (This happened between 11:15am and 11;55am) I am running the latest server version 1.9.2.4285 in a Windows 7 computer. This happens daily and the only way to get everything working again is to do exactly what gbehrent is doing. Except I do in in the form of rebooting the whole computer that runs the server. When the server is unresponsive, it is unresponsive both within my network and remotely. I cannot access the Server>Help>Download Logs when this problem happens. Please let me know if I can provide any additional info. Also, "Enable Plex Media Server debug logging" is checked and has been checked since install. And thanks in advance for your help.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,820Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited October 10

@T&JPlex said:
    Hello, This sounds like an identical issue that I am having. Is this something that you can look into for me as well? I have logs from today 10/10/17 that I grabbed after the server went unresponsive. (This happened between 11:15am and 11;55am) I am running the latest server version 1.9.2.4285 in a Windows 7 computer. This happens daily and the only way to get everything working again is to do exactly what gbehrent is doing. Except I do in in the form of rebooting the whole computer that runs the server. When the server is unresponsive, it is unresponsive both within my network and remotely. I cannot access the Server>Help>Download Logs when this problem happens. Please let me know if I can provide any additional info. Also, "Enable Plex Media Server debug logging" is checked and has been checked since install. And thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the log which show the server getting into a deadlock after Oct 10, 2017 11:33:27 with no requests being processed leading to error 503 being return from 11:46:07

For such issues we need to get a process dump as well as the logs and would also be helpful to get the returned info from a specific url

Your issue which may be similar symptom to what is in this topic, is actually different

A number of deadlock bugs have recently been addressed and resolved but obviously there is still another problem leading to this

If this issue repeats itself and is reproducible, please could you get the following diagnostics

• First upgrade to 1.9.4 Plex Pass release
    • Then find out the server security token as it will be needed for a specific request that needs to be done when the issue arises. See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204059436-Finding-an-authentication-token-X-Plex-Token
    • Download SysInternals Process Explorer and unzip and have ready to use later. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
    • Ensure debug logging remains enabled on the server and restart the server to get fresh logs set created
    • When the lockout occurs, do the following
    • Open browser on the server and set the url to http://localhost:32400/connections?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the server security token string. Copy the returned output to a text file and save to send later by Private Message to me
    • Force a Process Dump of the Plex Media Server.exe process - first try with Process Explorer creating a full dump of the process. If there is an issue with that, use Windows Task Manager to create a process dump
    • Zip the process dump(s) and upload to Google Drive or Dropbox etc and get a link to send to me by PM
    • Obtain all the server logs - either through Settings / Server / Help / Download Logs after restart or manually by copying out the logs folder and zipping contents

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

edited October 10

sa2000, Thank you for a very quick response. I have read and hopefully I understand all that is being asked of in the event of another deadlock issue, so that we don't have to wait again for it to happen again. Ha The first step you kindly provided says to upgrade to 1.9.4 Plex Pass Release, however, when I sign into plex.tv with my account info, which I am a Plex Pass subscriber, and click the toggle for plex pass downloads, this version (1.9.4) does not show up as an option. I am running Windows 7 Pro. Can you please advise if there is something that I am missing?

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 28,820Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited October 11

@T&JPlex said:
    when I sign into plex.tv with my account info, which I am a Plex Pass subscriber, and click the toggle for plex pass downloads, this version (1.9.4) does not show up as an option. I am running Windows 7 Pro. Can you please advise if there is something that I am missing?

It should show on https://plex.tv/downloads - i cannot check now as there is an issue with plex.tv at the moment

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@sa2000 said:

@T&JPlex said:
    when I sign into plex.tv with my account info, which I am a Plex Pass subscriber, and click the toggle for plex pass downloads, this version (1.9.4) does not show up as an option. I am running Windows 7 Pro. Can you please advise if there is something that I am missing?

It should show on https://plex.tv/downloads - i cannot check now as there is an issue with plex.tv at the moment

I do see that now today. I was only showing the version that I have installed. I have now installed the version 1.9.4.4325. No issues so far. I will report back if the deadlock happens again. Thanks again for the information.

sa2000, I believe that I have experienced the deadlock again. Unfortunately I am unable to provide exact time. I have pulled all info requested, and am wondering how you would like to proceed from here. Thank you in advance.

edited October 12

@T&JPlex said:
    sa2000, I believe that I have experienced the deadlock again. Unfortunately I am unable to provide exact time. I have pulled all info requested, and am wondering how you would like to proceed from here. Thank you in advance.

I need /connections output and process dump and logs following steps in my earlier post http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1534552/#Comment_1534552

I will send google drive link in Private Message.

edited October 13

@T&JPlex

Thanks for the logs and process dumps and /connections output

It shows a deadlock and the evidence is being referred to the development team

edited October 13

The problem has been identified and this deadlock is DVR / LiveTV related.

Thank you for the complete set of diagnostics which helped identify the cause

A fix will be Incorporated in a future release - at this point I have no further information