If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Non-stop Buffering on Samsung TV

I'm willing to deep dive this issue with whoever is up to it. The Plex app is literally useless on Samsung - I'd have to turn the quality practically all the way down to get it to work to where it's unwatchable.

I can start a movie on Samsung with it buffering all over the place and then stop and go to the bedroom TV and start Plex on the FireTV and it works flawlessly. Plex also works on...all phones in my home, all laptops, all desktops but the one I'd most rather have it on is the big, nice TV.

Let me know what kind of information I can provide on my end. Packet logging, Plex server/client logs, etc.

TV: Samsung UN55KU6290 version1206.1 // WIRED connection
Home internet: Gigabit
App: Samsung PLEX app
Server: Dual Xeon E5-2699 v3 / 384 GiB DD4 RAM / 40Gbps burstable, 1Gbps sustainable
Server Plex version: 1.9.4.4325

Best Answer

Answers

• sonsinsonsin Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have exactly the same issue. My tv is a Samsung UN49MU6100. All other devices works fine and my tv has no connections problems with other services.

• adhocadhocadhocadhoc Posts: 13Members ✭✭
    edited October 2017

I'm willing to provide any type of logs, information, debugging, etc. Whatever anyone wants. I'm assuming it's software since I can't find anything that would cause this bandwidth or transcoding wise along with them both being seriously overkill and the fact that it plays just fine on every other client in my apartment.

This isn't a new problem - it's been like this on the Plex Samsung App since I've gotten the TV last year. The only thing that's changed is my media server got upgraded as well as the home network/connection. Samsung app forever stuttering all the while. I've seen enough unresolved posts to know that this isn't just me and that this isn't new and will only likely continue until I give up and forget about watching it on my Samsung TV because I don't see any light at the end of this problem.

If someone from Plex is reading this and you've ever thought "ugh, this issue again. we just can't fix everything with so many variables" and that this is a large enough impact to your userbase, I live 15 minutes away from Los Gatos. PM me and I'll send you my LinkedIn or something so it's not entirely creepy or w/e. You can come over and tear away at everything.

Found a firmware update for the TV (2016 UHD Smart TV (KU6 Series)) that was available but not yet pushed automatically (released October 16th) to the TV, had to update via USB. This brought the TV from version 1180 to 1206.1

Update log states " 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices"

Applied the update no problem, hard cycled the TV and Plex is still buffering ;(

• hit playhit play Posts: 68Members ✭✭

@adhocadhoc said:
    Found a firmware update for the TV (2016 UHD Smart TV (KU6 Series)) that was available but not yet pushed automatically (released October 16th) to the TV, had to update via USB. This brought the TV from version 1180 to 1206.1

Update log states " 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices"

Applied the update no problem, hard cycled the TV and Plex is still buffering ;(

Is your media on a Network Attached Storage? or local. The former will cause issues most of the time depending on server activity. I've never been able to get my devices to stop complaining about these things until I made all my media Direct Play compatible. Saves a lot of headaches..

Server OS: Windows 10
    Server Setup: Direct Play
    Storage: 3 TB D-Link Share Center
    Client Devices: PlayStation 4 - Apple TV
    Other Devices: Sky Q 1 TB - Sony 49" TV

• ea_ramboea_rambo Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem here.
    I'm trying to watch a movie using my Tizen-based UE60KU6072 Samsung tv and it just keeps on buffering.
    The TV is wire connected to a local Windows 7 pc, and the media is stored on the computer HDD.

A new Tizen app version maybe?

edited October 2017

doubleposted for some reason

@hit play said:

@adhocadhoc said:

Is your media on a Network Attached Storage? or local. The former will cause issues most of the time depending on server activity. I've never been able to get my devices to stop complaining about these things until I made all my media Direct Play compatible. Saves a lot of headaches..

It's a remote server (Dual Xeon E5-2699 v3 / 384 GiB DD4 RAM / 40Gbps burstable, 1Gbps sustainable) on version 1.9.4.4325. Server is overkill for transcoding on the fly - ALL other clients in home can receive from the server with 0 buffering issues at original quality / max Mbps. I know about moving to local storage (I have a 2nd server that's local but that one is fine) or converting to direct play but what I would really, really like is for the app to work as advertised. Or, at least know why Plex can't get it to work.

@ea_rambo said:
    Same problem here.
    I'm trying to watch a movie using my Tizen-based UE60KU6072 Samsung tv and it just keeps on buffering.
    The TV is wire connected to a local Windows 7 pc, and the media is stored on the computer HDD.

A new Tizen app version maybe?

Maybe --- it'd have to come from Plex in beta updates which I believe is PlexPass only and then on top of that I don't know if you can just sideload apps on the TV if it's not available in their store to update. This isn't new though this has been for me personally over a year now and longer for others...just want to know what is wrong with it. Imagine you're in the same situation where Plex works on every client besides your Samsung TV too?

• AnimaleyezAnimaleyez Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For those TV's specifically it has more to do with the sub-par parts that Samsung uses on the 6100 up to the 6290. Samsung's focus begins at the 6300 for 4k. The one common factor is the lack of the One Remote support.

What actual % of processing/memory is required to stream a video when a remote server is doing all the heavy lifting? A quad core processor based TV can't stream video? It streams other high-bandwidth video just fine

And then, if that is correct, why wouldn't Plex put a disclaimer against certain model TV's? I still don't think it's because it's sub-par

• yesternowyesternow Posts: 145Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Quick check, do have remote quality set to original (its under Video in settings)? It should at least minimise transcoding, ignore this if you've done that already. My 2017 UE49MU8000 doesn't suffer from any problems from remote or local servers.

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,479Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I've setup a 2017 UN40MU6300 today. The device is on a gigabit LAN and playing media back from a local DS 1515+. There's no network or contention for resources on the NAS.

During Direct Stream of BD remuxes I too see the ... display. The remuxes are direct streaming in order to transcode DTS to AAC. The server CPU load is still neglible, same with the network. It's the device.

After enabled DTS (DCA) in the Plex app settings: Settings > Audio the file direct plays. The buffering is also gone. I have to look back through history to determine why the DTS setting isn't enabled by default. @adhocadhoc have you enabled DTS as well?

During Direct Play the device is free to request arbitrary binary ranges of the video from PMS. During Direct Stream the device is forced to buffer variable size segments. This makes some devices buffer more frequently when their buffer size cannot fit at least two segments.

PMS typically creates the segments based on data in the video. A segment is one GOP to another. Regions with more action/pixel variance generate larger segments.

The Plex for Samsung application is already instructing PMS to ignore the GOP boundaries and instead generate smaller segments. But, with the behavior we're seeing it appears probable the segments aren't small enough.

I'm working on a Samsung update. I'll look a little deeper.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,479Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@adhocadhoc you could try something. Play a video which buffers distracting. Then in Settings > Video disable Direct Play and Direct Stream. This will cause PMS to transcode. The segments we generate during transcode are teensy, the device should not buffer as it would during Direct Stream.

If your videos are direct playing and you see the buffering then it's a network or device issue. My money would be on the latter.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

• KydeXKydeX Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Following. I've got the same problem with my 2017 MU6175. I have PMS on a seperate computer and media files on a Netgear Readynas Ultra4. With files that are higher than around 12 Mbps average, I get buffering. I try the stuff you are suggesting, Matt. I don't think it's a network issue, because other clients on the same network does not have problems. But if I disable Direct Play and Direct Stream, what will the PMS transcode into? Will there be a loss of quality doing this?

• sonsinsonsin Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

On my side I usually use external subtitles, so it'll be direct streamed every time I activate it. Transcoding to burn in the subtitles is not an option for me.

• fc0712fc0712 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Every time i put subtitles on. It constantely buffers and sometimes the plex app completly freezes. It works fine on web app and ios app.

Do you guys think my problem is in the same bug as others have described?

• KydeXKydeX Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Ok. Now I tested with a HEVC 10bit X265 movie just now, with a bitrate of 67 Mbps. It also has a 7.1 DTS HD MA audio track. This movie starts buffering after a little while. I guess it was maybe expected, but everything direct plays on the Samsung to my surprise. I am just wondering now, is it my network, or is it the Samsung TV that's not adequate? I've got a wired connection, but what I don't know, is the Samsung NIC 100 Mb or 1000 Mb LAN? Also, is the buffer memory on the Samsung TV large enough to buffer enough of this file?

• SE56SE56 Posts: 2,185Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From a quick look at Samsung forums and alike TV's it's 100mb not Gb. It's disappointing, the only way around the issue is a high end Receiver with a player that supports Gb network. So Smart Tv's are still dumb and dumber.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• EpicKauEpicKau Posts: 19Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

100Mbit is still enougth for 4k streaming. So that shoudn't be the problem.

I get the same issue on my samsung uhd tv with tizen plex app. When the bitrate gets over 50Mbit/s the buffering starts randomly (nativ 4k direct play, DTS Atmos / AC3).

But when I start a youtube or netflix 4k stream the bitrate is no problem... (65Mbit/s +)

• max_plexibilitymax_plexibility Posts: 167Members ✭✭

we have two samsung "smart" TVs and are plagued by the plex performance on both of them. while amazon and netflix run fine, plex runs horrible. I don't know who to blame and it wouldn't fix a thing. so I bought a fire TV stick and it does the work. such a shame that plex runs like garbage on the native samsung plex app. btw: ps4 cannot even run HEVC directly, but the fire TV can. what a bummer that my 30 dollar stick outperforms my "power" gaming console at just showing a movie. lol!