If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Plex UI - Apple TV Soon?

Joelseph01Joelseph01 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone know if the plan is to bring the new Plex UI (found in the Plex Media Player) to the Apple TV? I kinda dig it and was never really a fan of the current Apple UI. If I could voice my opinion, I'd appreciate this sooner than other platforms (e.g. Roku, Fire TV). It feels like forever since the Apple TV Plex app got some love.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 747Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can't stand the new PMP, and while the ATV could use some tweaking, I don't want to see it go in the direction of PMP...

@BastardSheep said:
    No plans anytime soon. They've chosen to go with the Apple standards / guides instead.

Thank goodness because I find apps that don't do that (or do it well) on the ATV jarring.

• HanterdroHanterdro Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, apps should always follow the defaults of the OS

• damienguinetdamienguinet Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If I had to choose, I’ll go with the current UI.

But I would change the default start-up screen. Something like the Plex Web home page (Continue watching / next episode on the top, recently added movies, recently added series, random selection by genre for inspiration). Doesn't seems to be a lot of work (I’m a developper, I know what I’m talking about) as all those pieces exist in the current code.

And of cours, I could personalize the section (no music and pictures for me, news on top, etc.).

• Joelseph01Joelseph01 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also, maybe redo the Plex Home screen (make it more like the Netflix Profiles Screen)...

@damienguinet said:
    But I would change the default start-up screen. Something like the Plex Web home page (Continue watching / next episode on the top, recently added movies, recently added series, random selection by genre for inspiration).

Huh. Maybe it's because I'm running the beta version on ATV but that's exactly what it does look like though "on deck" is just above recently added stuff and recently added tv is above recently added movies).

And of cours, I could personalize the section (no music and pictures for me, news on top, etc.).

Yes, definitely this.

• romrom Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just want the option to turn off that stupid sidebar. Otherwise i don’t mind the interface much, it’s got hiccups and annoyances but none as ridiculously annoying as that stupid sidebar.

• camncharcamnchar Posts: 201Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Love the sidebar for getting me to the home screen quickly when I'm buried 8 levels deep in search or filtering by genres or decades etc.

Would prefer same UI with tweaks like fan art and more customization. Hate the sidebar? Click this box and get rid of it! Want to hide playlists on the home screen? Click this box. Etc etc.

• ersanersan Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 20

I just switched from Roku and I much prefer the new unified UI to the Apple TV one - Sling TV uses their unified UI on Apple TV and it works just fine.

Things I miss from the Roku interface:

• There's no onscreen controls
    • Information about what you're playing popping up when the video starts (i.e. show name/episode name/movie title)
    • The button on the far right of the OSD that shows you upcoming items in your playlist
    • You can't delete items (easily fixable)
    • As far as I can tell there's no option to skip videos forwards or backwards in a video playlist
    • Subtitles have to be selected before the video starts playing - you can't do them on the fly
    • The "Reload" button at the top really shouldn't exist
    • There are less filtering and NO sorting options for media

I'm sure there are more little quirks, but I certainly miss the old interface, I switched to Apple TV because of all the other features it offers as part of the Apple ecosystem, but Plex absolutely 100% feels like a downgrade.

I will say the new News interface is fantastic, better than the Roku/Unified UI - I may actually start using it on ATV

• Karl BlixtKarl Blixt Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 20

I don't understand how people can think the current UI is enjoyable.

• 3 different "upper" levels when swiping up

• Pressing the menu-button in search sometimes takes you home and sometimes takes you to the appleTV menu if you're not paying attention.

• Forget about sorting movies after critics score which arguable is the most useful sorting...

• Multiple-version implementation is horrendous.

• Making/adding movies to playlists is impossible because reasons?

it looks nice, but really, some of these things really make the whole thing feel like it was pushed through when it was 90% done. and these are just some of the things that I could think up on the fly.

@Karl Blixt said:

Because use is a very personal thing, we all use Plex differently, even on the ATV.

I can't quite figure out what/where this is?

• Pressing the menu-button in search sometimes takes you home and sometimes takes you to the appleTV menu if you're not paying attention.

Definitely a bug but I so rarely use Search (like nearly never).

• Forget about sorting movies after critics score which arguable is the most useful sorting...

Personally, the last thing I care about is what critics think.

Not something I've ever had to deal with.

At this point, I couldn't even figure out how to create a playlist on the ATV for any media type. I'm not sure this is even implemented.

it looks nice, but really, some of these things really make the whole thing feel like it was pushed through when it was 90% done. and these are just some of the things that I could think up on the fly.

Not sure but you may be an edge-case user ;) (BTW, this isn't to downplay ANY of your issues, merely to point out that I like the ATV UI because it works for me. It obviously doesn't work as well for you.)

• Karl BlixtKarl Blixt Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@darcilicious

in the "home screen" you have the upper level with search and playlists etc etc and then under that you have the middle-upper level with a lonely awkward update button and below that you have the library menu.

• Personally, the last thing I care about is what critics think.

sorting by imdb rating is really useful. but then again I might be using my Plex more as a discovery/rediscovery platform than you.

I can also add to my previous notes that most of the times in the beginning of a viewing a movie the message "this server is not powerfull enough to transcode this"... I have a 8.6k passmark processor with 8GB RAM so i seriously doubt that.

Yes, the re-load button needs to go. And if there wasn't a side-panel (which many people would like to give rid of, though not me) then the horizontal/top nav would be a necessity... I think users should be able to choose one or the other.

Re: discovery -- that could very well be -- my movie collection is a collection of movies I already know I like :)

Re: transcoding message -- what format / bitrate are those movies in?

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,293Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey guys. The Apple TV UI is certainly not a final thing, and we’re always looking to bring successful design improvements from our other clients/platforms.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

Unfortunately "design improvements" are in the eye of the beholder... I'm not a fan of the direction that Plex has gone with PMP / Xbox, for example.

• ersanersan Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 22

@Karl Blixt said:

I agree with all of these points - the menu button bug has existed for years now and is particularly irritating - for me it mostly happens inside the video player, and I used to sort by rottentomatoes rating all of the time on roku which I can no longer do because I switched to ATV.

Hidden (extremely important) navigation menus don’t make any sense either, there is certainly a lot of room for improvement with the UI

• FatalmuzzaFatalmuzza Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Proper filtering and sorting, e.g. I'd like to see all comedies released in the 80's, sorted by rating. etc.

Also some kind of watchlist. Bookmark some movies or shows for watching later..

• zerolim1tzerolim1t Posts: 407Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The new XBOX update is horrible! can't find things and crashes all the time. What we have is nice and clean. Few things here and there to clean up but good

• Media Center
    • ZeroFlixs.com
    • i5 System 16gigs ram 50 TB 
    • Movies | Tv Shows | Boxing | UFC | Stand-up | Documentaries | Broadway |