If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Hanging video never plays, regardless of the hardware thrown at it.

GuineaGuinea Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I built a FreeNAS based media server using the following hardware configuration:

• Chassis - Supermicro 846BE16-R1K28B
  • Motherboard - Supermicro MBD-X10SRH-CLN4F-O
  • Memory - Crucial 16GB ECC RDIMM DDR4-2400 x2 (32GB)
  • CPU - Intel Xeon E5-1640 v4
  • CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9DXi4
  • Boot Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 120GB
  • HDD - 8x WD Red 4TB's
    The setup should be able to handle a pretty significant amount of transcoding. I am ripping Blu Ray movies from my collection using DVDFab's MKV Passthrough functionality to get 1:1 lossless quality MKVs (since storage isn't really an issue). I am accessing them through my PS4 as a client right now. Other movies play fine, but one in particular (I haven't tested all of them yet), Toy Story 3 just sits there with a Buffering and Throttling notification the web UI server when I play it. It never loads and just gives me a timeout error.
    Is there somewhere I can grab logs or find out what is actually happening to prevent this? My hardware has to be plenty strong enough...

The issue is specific to Playstation. My question is concerning the transcoding. It said it was transcoding from DAV to AAC (or something similar to that) when I access the stream on the web UI. I can see it buffering but it never plays. The movie in question is the lossless rip of Toy Story 3. I don't understand because I assumed the hardware I threw at it would be able to handle any amount of transcoding necessary to make it play. Is this not the case? Is there a way to correct this issue?

Answers

• GuineaGuinea Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Should I just enable logging and post the logs here?

• GuineaGuinea Posts: 55Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No one has any idea about this issue? I remember these forums being a lot more responsive.

• brucethevideobugbrucethevideobug Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have you tried ripping hhe bluray again?

• brucethevideobugbrucethevideobug Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also might try a repost with the model nas in the title. I think the community here is broke up into tribes with different setups more than it was. I know little about your hardware. People pay more attention if the hardware is like thier's. 5 years ago there were fewer types of setups and the community was smaller but less fragmented.