If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Live TV Support for Plex Media Player

riccochetriccochet Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered, i couldn't find it in my searches. So is there any timeline on live TV support in the plex media player for windows? It seems this feature is being very slow to be rolled out to any new platforms.

Answers

• corydorningcorydorning Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

was extremely bummed this morning when i setup my hdhomerun only to find out that pmp didn't have this. figured this is where the feature would've been intro'd first. ugh.

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 976Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Always pays to read the documentation / blog posts first...

• riccochetriccochet Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Shmeh, i knew it wasn't in PMP, but last i read that it was back when the feature launched and then conveniently forgot about it until i tried to view my live TV in PMP. :tongue:
    Just figured there would have been more progress in the last few months to get this to more platforms... especially considering that windows is traditionally one of their primary platforms.

• NogsmokeNogsmoke Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also waiting for Plex Media Player support for Live TV before I bother to get all of that hooked up. PMP is my primary screen. It seems like they're doing all of the other players first.

• clueo8clueo8 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does anyone have an idea when PMP will get DVR/LiveTV?

• shaflikbshaflikb Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yep. Count me in. I'm interested in this too!

• DJ-BrianCDJ-BrianC Posts: 407Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Let them make it work first. Right now it's unstable on all currently supported platforms.

Brian Caouette / www.djbrianc.us
    Running Readynas 316 w/ 6 4tb WD Reds
    Pi2, Roku, Fire Stick, iPad 2, Android phone & tablet, Kindle
    Silcondust Connect & Silcondust Extend w/ OTA roof.

• Personx64Personx64 Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was very confused myself - spent 15 mins trying to find out how to watch live TV using Plex player on windows - turns out it doesn't support it. Is there ETA?

Also in full screen mode the Program Schedule option doesn't exist at all - in window mode it does, but only offers recording.

Never the less, having ability to record TV and watch is great - for now I have to use HDHomeRun app to watch live TV :-(

• Beats_86Beats_86 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1

I'm currently trialling (or rather trying to convince my misses) to use the android app on my shield tab instead of PMP on my HTPC which we have been using for ages (and which we both prefer). Such a shame it's not available with PMP yet.

• pjmbarlickpjmbarlick Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bjzzare that PMP doesn’t support the BIG new feature announced by Plex...Live TV...and yet Apple TV does???
    WTF?

• chipserverchipserver Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I suspect Plex is intentionally making PMP atrociously bad for some reason. There is no way they could continue to deliberately leave out key features and force a completely unusable UI on people unless their goal was to make us hate it. If you have a HTPC, you're better off using the web UI in a browser than using the bespoke desktop app.

• Jan-NiklasJan-Niklas Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still waiting.

• BrianABBrianAB Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree this feature is badly needed. Mine client updated to the new version last night... I got excited hoping it was going to be included. Such disappointment.

Can't believe I can stream live tv through plex on my old Roku 3, which always was notoriously bad at streaming live tv. But can't from Plex on my W10 HTPC.

• RMURMU Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Live TV in PMP would be very nice indeed! Don't understand they don't have it supported yet... and all other "strange" platforms like Roku/Apple TV and even Web are supported.

• ericmatthysericmatthys Plex Employee Posts: 3,222Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We released Live TV on PMP today. Let us know how it is!

• Rainey01Rainey01 Posts: 255Members ✭✭

I got PMP update today, 1.x to 2.4.1.x did not even know there was a version 2.x.
    If the post above is real maybe it is in the new version?

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 2,247Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Rainey01 said:
    I got PMP update today, 1.x to 2.4.1.x did not even know there was a version 2.x.
    If the post above is real maybe it is in the new version?

That is the new version.

• mikeyman22mikeyman22 Posts: 102Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I have PMP v2.4.1 .... but where exactly is Live TV in the UI ?

edited February 9

@mikeyman22 said:
    So I have PMP v2.4.1 .... but where exactly is Live TV in the UI ?

Are you in Desktop or TV FullScreen mode?

If you are in TV Full Screen Mode see below: