If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Samsung TV - I can't play anything...

westyphotography.comwestyphotography.com Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

New here - I have a Plex server running on my iMac - Faultless on the AppleTV and my daughters iPads and Windows laptops.

We have just bought a new Smart Samsung TV, and installed the Plex App. All seemed to be fine, I can connect to the server, can see my playlist / deck etc...

However, when I try to play anything I see a black screen, with on-screen controls, but no content. After 30 seconds or so, I get a playback error.

I have tried both wireless and wired, and get the same issue.

I have even assigned the TV a static IP address, and white listed this in the Plex app... Makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Answers

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 793Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What kind of video files are you trying to play? (codec and container). What version is your PMS?

• westyphotography.comwestyphotography.com Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

All files are iTunes compatible movies. I have the latest PMS version installed.

• westyphotography.comwestyphotography.com Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As I say, all play fine, via Wi-fi to AppleTV and iPad.

Plex works differently on each client for a number of reasons — just because your videos work on one platform is no guarantee they’ll work everywhere which is why I asked about the codec and container.

Are these movies/videos purchased from the iTunes Store?

• brucethevideobugbrucethevideobug Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Could this be DRM related?

No, drm free content. All play fine on other devices.

Any chance you’ll tell us the actual codecs and containers? Otherwise I’d be surprised if anyone will be able to help you resolve this.

Hi, Where can I find that info?

As an example, a file that plays fine on the AppleTV, via Plex, but doesn't on the SmartTV is:

MPEG-4: 4.01 GiB, 1h 52mn
    1 Video stream: AVC
    2 Audio streams: AAC / AC-3
    Overall bit rate mode: Variable
    Overall bit rate: 5 092 Kbps

Video: 4 526 Kbps, 1920*804 (2.40:1), at 23.976 fps, AVC (High@L4) (CABAC / 5 Ref Fames)
    Audio: English, 384 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 6 channels, AC-3 Surround Audio

So that kind of video file can not be played natively by the Samsung SmartTV so that means that your Plex server is having to convert (transcode) it on the fly into a compatible format.

What version of the PMS server do you have installed? Which iMac ("About this Mac?") is your PMS installed on? It may not be powerful enough to transcode your files for the Samsung SmartTV.

Your other devices can handle those videos without transcoding, that's why you don't see this issue on them. One around this would be to buy and Apple TV and connect it to your Samsung but that's not exactly a cheap solution.

via Email
    Many thanks for the help - Could I convert the content to another format that the Smart TV can show?

Is that what optimised version are on PMS?

IMac is a 2017 5K iMac with 32GB of Ram.

@westyphotography.com said:
    Many thanks for the help - Could I convert the content to another format that the Smart TV can show?

No problem though I may not be able to help you all the way.

Is that what optimised version are on PMS?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What I can say is that Plex clients will try to play a video based on the client platform (iPad, Windows computer, some SmartTVs, etc) and if the client can't handle the video format then the Plex SERVER will try to convert it on the fly. How well that works depends on a number of things, not the least of which is the power of the CPU the Plex server is installed on. There are also some Plex server settings that can be adjusted to help.

IMac is a 2017 5K iMac with 32GB of Ram.

What CPU is listed in the "About this Mac"?

via Email
    Hi,

The iMac is: 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5

On 22 October 2017 at 17:17:44, darcilicious (forums+d292650-s6025034@plex.tv) wrote:

Plex Forums http://forums.plex.tv/
    darcilicious answered your question: New Samsung TV - I can't play anything...

> @westyphotography.com said:
    >
    > Many thanks for the help - Could I convert the content to another format that the Smart TV can show?

No problem though I may not be able to help you all the way.

> Is that what optimised version are on PMS?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What I can say is that Plex clients will try to play a video based on the client platform (iPad, Windows computer, some SmartTVs, etc) and if the client can't handle the video format then the Plex SERVER will try to convert it on the fly. How well that works depends on a number of things, not the least of which is the power of the CPU the Plex server is installed on. There are also some Plex server settings that can be adjusted to help.

> IMac is a 2017 5K iMac with 32GB of Ram.

What CPU is listed in the "About this Mac"?
  • gbswales1gbswales1 Posts: 20Members ✭✭

Trying again! _ I have the same issue with ALL files not playing even though the app interface looks fine. I have a new
    Samsung UE49MU7000 and a fully updated server on a PC (so not apple related). I think the file type is a wild goose chase as all the files play fine when I use the TV's built in DNLA interface to play them from the plex server - the problem is ONLY with the App. I also play the files on my old Samsung TV (pre-Tizen) and they work just fine on there. It makes no difference if I use wireless or wired connection and I have a fast fibre connection.
    How can we get an answer from Plex about this issue?

I just downloaded Plex on my new Samsung TV and have no issues playing h.264/mkv files. I have nothing more to contribute until you share the video and file type... (DLNA is a whole other thing that has nothing to do with Plex and how it works to serve video to Plex apps on TVs.)

I have the same problem with a new 7000 series Samsung. I do not believe it has anything to do with file types as the newer samsung TVs play pretty much anything. I also believe I have proof that it is not the file type because if I access Plex using the TV's built in DNLA interface, all content plays fine. It is only with the Plex App that I get the issue - however I much prefer the layout of the plex app (I have it on my old Samsung TV now in the bedroom and it works just fine on that). This is clearly an issue with 2017 TV models. I am running with all the latest updates for Plex and the TV. It is also not an apple issue because my server is on a windows 10 PC

There should be little if any need for conversion of file types - mine are usually MP4. MPG, AVI etc and if they play on an older samsung they should play on a newer one - there is no DRM issue

I posted a comment here but it is not showing!! I have the same issue but with a PC based server
    It is nothing to do with file types because if I play the file from Plext using the TVs built in DNLA tools they all play fine - it is just in the app that the problem manifests. TV is Samsung UE49MU7000 and the server and TV software are up to date and the app was downloaded just today.