If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

help with menus

dandare2017dandare2017 Posts: 21Members ✭✭

hey all have plexserver running on my comp and client on pi2 rasplex, everything was working fine but now when i go onto rasplex the only options in the menus are; search and watch plex.tv. used to see those and also movies, tv programs etc. i reckon something has accidentally been pressed on the keyboard as pi is on all the time and keyboard is on the sofa so dogs and kids poss walked over it/sat on it.
any tips
dan

Best Answer

• dandare2017dandare2017 Posts: 21Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

hi not sure the exact cause but something to do with trying out a vpn, i thought it was all turned off but the download speed was terrible and ip had changed. so something was running away in the background
    anyhoos uninstalled everything to do with the vpn, upgraded the os as there was one available, turn off/on the router, re installed rasplex and it went back to the expected ip and download speed and linking to the pi client. think my plex client couldnt connect due to the ip changing unsure exactly but its all back working and ill be leaving it like that until i understand a bit better whats going on with and how to use vpn.

Answers

• nilsvnilsv Posts: 110Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You pi cannot reach the plexserver or plex anymore.

This often means that:
    1. Your pi has lost network connectivity (check cable/wifi) or
    2. Your pi is signed out of plex. Connect your pi to your account agaib

My configuration:

Server: PMS 1.5.5 (PlexPass) running on Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) KVM with 3 vCPU on Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz and 2GB mem
    Main player: RasPlex 1.8 on a Raspberry Pi 2
    Additional: Google Pixel C (Android 7)), ChromeCast, OnePlus 3 (Android 7)

i was messing about with a vpn this morn would that cause issues. it was a freebie from windscribe which i was trying. think its messed with other settings as cant listen to some radio on bbc: not available on worldwide service. tried to stop in running in terminal but doesnt sound like i managed.

seems to be connected to my comp. redid the code to connect them but still no menus other the search watch plex.tv over and over

re installed rasplex incase i had messed up something. install went fine connected with th code to pms still displaying with out the server menus available? when i go back to pms i can see the pi has accessed a minute ago. so think its a setting i need to adjust any ideas?

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 311Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are you using the correct user?

another reason could be that your switch or firewall in the pc its blocking all connections

Accepted Answer

hi not sure the exact cause but something to do with trying out a vpn, i thought it was all turned off but the download speed was terrible and ip had changed. so something was running away in the background
    anyhoos uninstalled everything to do with the vpn, upgraded the os as there was one available, turn off/on the router, re installed rasplex and it went back to the expected ip and download speed and linking to the pi client. think my plex client couldnt connect due to the ip changing unsure exactly but its all back working and ill be leaving it like that until i understand a bit better whats going on with and how to use vpn.

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 311Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The problem with a VPN is that it will aisle you form your local network so the Rpi wont see you and all connections will have to be routed through internet.

Yes, you can make it work with rasplex but its beyond the point and instead of a local video connection you are going to have a connection from the server to the vpn on the internet back to your rpi in your local network.

i dont fully understand it and seems like a faff for me. so ill be keeping it as is for the time being.
    thanks for all the pointers.
    dan