If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

2017 4K LG OLED - OLED55B7 native client

Hello,

Is there any plans to address the official plex client for the new (2016+) LG OLED TV's? It does not have the correct profiles set for the tv. For this platform am I being forced to purchase a 3rd part app (XPlay) because plex dropped this platform 1+ Years ago?

I know the network stack is junk, but it would be nice to have a official client that worked.

Best Answer

• sheptardsheptard Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

once again you must explain?

Hey thats great, but the clients still crap. I'm now now using the plex client for the nvidia shield tv which is only slightly less terrible.

Answers

• ourcontactourcontact Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 24

I have the OLED65B7P and am interested to know what the problems are. As far as I know Plex is ok other than 4k.

Also what troubles are there with the network stack and how does that impact the TV?

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,749Members ✭✭✭✭

@sheptard said:
    Hello,

Is there any plans to address the official plex client for the new (2016+) LG OLED TV's? It does not have the correct profiles set for the tv. For this platform am I being forced to purchase a 3rd part app (XPlay) because plex dropped this platform 1+ Years ago?

I know the network stack is junk, but it would be nice to have a official client that worked.

Really, please explain your statement of dropping support of LG WebOS. As far as I know this statement is absolute rubbish.
    I'm not being personal but please explain where and why you have come to this conclusion?

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Lol, I sure hope it was an automated system marking your comment as an answer.

The LG App store says the client hasn't been updated in a year.

This TV has been out for a year and plex hasn't figured out how to use the built in media player on the TV itself to play 4k content?

The network stack sucks because the ethernet port is only 100mbit, and the wifi is junk with the 2 ap's I've tested so far, and makes it impossible to watch 80mbps 4k hdr content so far. 50mbps plays kinda okay on wifi, but still far from ideal. far less than the 1300 mbps claimed by LG that the TV can achieve.

Once again I must explain. The app is automatically updated. If you check your app on TV, settings/about . You will find current app version, also in PMS/settings/devices you will find it also.

This page will list all the updates:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/132141/plex-for-smart-tvs-tivo#latest

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Accepted Answer

Hey thats great, but the clients still crap. I'm now now using the plex client for the nvidia shield tv which is only slightly less terrible.

• tomyuntomyun Posts: 43Members Plex Pass

The LG content store app doesn't seem to display the version numbers correctly. Maybe it's showing the first version it was registered.. I don't know. Once the app is installed, you'll find it newer than what it actually displayed on the store. The best way to check the actual version of Plex is looking at the app settings menu as explained above.

In the mean time, it's also true that the latest version (3.13.1) of Plex app is not available to at least some LG models (2017) on webOS 3. I have an open issue for asking updates, but no luck as of yet.

edited October 29

@sheptard said:

Why do i need to explain a known fact that i have shown you with proof.

• djsat2djsat2 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah it would be good if people can answer questions instead of being so hostile, I also have an Lg Oled and the Plex client is pretty poor, for example as i can't play anything that is transcoded, direct play is fine but as soon as transcoding kicks in the app fails to play the stream - server says its transcoding but all you get is an error on the tv.

Why do you think it the app and not the beta Plex media server. The server does the trans coding.

• emma24xiaemma24xia Posts: 91Members ✭✭

I have the same issue with you, Plex's official page for Smart TV only lists the direct playback support for the 2013 NetCast Models

Additional Direct Play video support:

• ASF container with vc1 or wmv3 video encoding
    • MKV container with H.264 video encoding
    • MPEG-TS container with mpeg2video video encoding

Additional Direct Play music support:

• ASF container with wmav2 audio encoding
    • OGG container with vorbis audio encoding
    • WAV container with pcm_u8 or pcm_sb16e audio encoding
  • DoubleDotDoubleDot Posts: 8Members ✭✭

I have stopped using the Plex app all together, and use the built-in DLNA client. It works well, and will mark content as viewed when you finish it. (Which is about all i need). I'm missing out on all the extra movie info though. The PlayX app seems to have a few quirks too.

Didn't know the B6V (or 7 series) only has a 100mbit ethernet port, thats just.. pathetic. Now i see why it was stuttering so bad when using high bitrate 4k movies.

• pickiepickie Posts: 49Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hmm ok so ive got a 4k clip of Elysium with an overall bitrate of 60Mbps, video is HEVC at 57Mbps, using the built in player from LG it runs butter smooth and looks fantastic and I can see network activity at around a constant 52Mbps, and plex reports its Direct playing, yet the official plex app will only transcode ??? why

• colinleedscolinleeds Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@pickie said:
    Hmm ok so ive got a 4k clip of Elysium with an overall bitrate of 60Mbps, video is HEVC at 57Mbps, using the built in player from LG it runs butter smooth and looks fantastic and I can see network activity at around a constant 52Mbps, and plex reports its Direct playing, yet the official plex app will only transcode ??? why

Need to edit the profile file. Works beautifully then, including HDR :*

• ourcontactourcontact Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@colinleeds said:
    Need to edit the profile file. Works beautifully then, including HDR :*

Mind helping with a detailed post or link to what how-to fir what exactly should be changed?
    I am sure I can RTM and eventually get there, but if you have it figured out or followed some other post it would be greatly appreciated!

where is this profile file kept ?? I'm running windows 10

also which log file shows what profile it is using ??

• colinleedscolinleeds Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 7

In Windows 10 x64, profiles are in '%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\'. These get replaced after a server upgrade so I created a folder called 'Profiles' in '%localappdata%\Plex Media Server\'

The profile used in my case is HTML TV App.xml. You can find the correct one in 'Plex Media Server.log'

Files will be direct streamed for mkv.

so why hasn't plex themselves sorted this out if its just a simple file edit ??? why is there no LG or WebOS profiles ?

edited November 7

I'm only guessing but would it be Generic.xml or even Universal tv.xml

• sbrudenellsbrudenell Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a LG C7P. I tried the modified profile XML posted by @colinleeds, and it works. I was able to play back HDR content natively. However the TV's networking is so slow it may not matter.

My plex server is remote, not local. Using a NUC with embedded PMP, I can buffer content at 250mbps+ -- enough to saturate my cable connection. However using the LG native app + modified profile XML, I can only buffer at ~12mbps even over ethernet. I get identical results with the XPlay app. This is not enough to play almost any 4k content.

The likely explanation for this limited bandwidth is a low receive buffer on the TV. RTT to my server is 20-25ms, so I calculate the TV has a receive buffer of about 32k. This is actually small enough to matter even over a local network. If you have a local plex server, but you're connected to it over wifi, your RTT may be as high as 5ms. A 32k receive buffer means you'd only get ~50mbps. This seems to match reports by other users.

I haven't found any way to confirm the TV is capable of better. It seems likely it's a fundamental limitation. For now, I'd assume that if you want to play back e.g. a UHD bluray natively on the LG, you at least need a local plex server and the TV to be connected to it by ethernet.