If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

2017 4K LG OLED - OLED55B7 native client

Answers

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,836Members ✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting on a local LAN to find out if ARC HDMI connection would be a better solution thru a HDR Receiver using a Player like Nvidia Shield or alike.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• ourcontactourcontact Posts: 80Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@colinleeds said:
    In Windows 10 x64, profiles are in '%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\'. These get replaced after a server upgrade so I created a folder called 'Profiles' in '%localappdata%\Plex Media Server\'

The profile used in my case is HTML TV App.xml. You can find the correct one in 'Plex Media Server.log'

Files will be direct streamed for mkv.

Thanks, on my Linux Plex Media Server I found the profiles in
    /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles

after replacing HTML\ TV\ App.xml, I needed to restart the plexmediaserver process
    $ sudo service plexmediaserver restart

Tested before and after changing/restart and I was able to successfully view 4K HDR HEVC MKV with the Native LG Plex App instead of having to use DLNA streaming through the Photo & Video App as I did before the change.

Now I need to understand what you did here and how I can manage my own tweaks in the future as needed!

Thanks again for the easy walk through & template for my first change.

• iglesiabiglesiab Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I️ recently bought the b7 model and contrary to what others have found, the built in Plex app on the LG is the only Plex client that can directly play my 4K hdr content. It is very satisfying when you see the hdr logo pop up in the right hand corner.

As far as the network port.. I️ was concerned about the 100mb connection as well but it has been sufficient for all my high bitrate content. I️ read a post somewhere that broke down how 100mb is enough for even 4K content.

Neither the Samsung built in app or my tv bolt will play the same files without transcoding like the LG does, so I️ am quite happy with the built in app.

If anyone has question on the media files or my setup feel free to ask.

@iglesiab said:
    Hi,

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I️ recently bought the b7 model and contrary to what others have found, the built in Plex app on the LG is the only Plex client that can directly play my 4K hdr content. It is very satisfying when you see the hdr logo pop up in the right hand corner.

As far as the network port.. I️ was concerned about the 100mb connection as well but it has been sufficient for all my high bitrate content. I️ read a post somewhere that broke down how 100mb is enough for even 4K content.

Neither the Samsung built in app or my tv bolt will play the same files without transcoding like the LG does, so I️ am quite happy with the built in app.

If anyone has question on the media files or my setup feel free to ask.

I also have the B7, specifically OLED65B7P WebOS 04.70.07 Plex for LG 3.13.1
    Other combinations of formats/containers would DirectPlay, however I was unable to DirectPlay 4K HDR HEVC MKV with the Native LG Plex App without transcoding until I made the changes to the HTML\ TV\ App profile.

The same files would DirectPlay from the same Ubuntu 16.04 PlexMediaServer 1.9.4.4325 with the DLNA Photo and Video app as well as the demo Xplay app.

edited November 2017

I have the changes listed above for the HTML TV App.xml profile and it did make some improvements.

I have come across another problem video and would like to understand how I can resolve, not just someone fix for me - but that would be nice too....

So this one (Life of Pi 2160p 4K HDR10 HEVC BT2020 DTSHD) again plays perfectly in the Video DLNA app with DirectPlay.
    When I use the LG app I get DirectStream and it ends up with occasional video, but mostly a rainbow of bleeding colors dripping from a line of flashing blocks at the top of the screen.

• pickiepickie Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Totally Fu***d off with official plex for LG, so ive Paid my money to Xplay and now I'm direct playing and HDR UHD, ill be cancelling my plex pass subscription too

go pay for xplay that seems to be the best option, the developer is getting a new LG UHD tv with webOS3+ so will further develop his app

• Apothis68Apothis68 Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@colinleeds said:
    In Windows 10 x64, profiles are in '%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\'. These get replaced after a server upgrade so I created a folder called 'Profiles' in '%localappdata%\Plex Media Server\'

The profile used in my case is HTML TV App.xml. You can find the correct one in 'Plex Media Server.log'

Files will be direct streamed for mkv.

Thanks so much for this, 4k hdr now playing on the native app on my b7 oled. Now if only they would fix the app to work with plex cloud, I'd be seriously happy

• pickiepickie Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

ok last attempt, ive replaced the HTML TV APP.xml with the one offered here, its allowing direct streaming but I cant get HDR to work I know the file has HDR cos the native app and Xplay play the HDR fine, why isn't plex fixing this problem ???

• tluiken@hotmail.comtluiken@hotmail.com Posts: 49Members ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi all, following this thread with great interest. My LG E7 transcodes almost all I try to play. Placed the HTML tv app profile in my profiles folder on Synology NAS, and rebooted that. Behavior seems the same, any ideas? Ik see it works for some of you.

• MattTwinkleToesMattTwinkleToes Posts: 125Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

have you tired just setting default playback to direct play? Synology does not have great transcode support depending on your cpu type.

• tluiken@hotmail.comtluiken@hotmail.com Posts: 49Members ✭✭

@MattTwinkleToes said:
    have you tired just setting default playback to direct play? Synology does not have great transcode support depending on your cpu type.

I did that already, but strange enough after actually rebooting the tv itself it now works!

4K is now playing smoothly including HDR.

Plex still wants to transcode all subtitles though, anyone knows if I can do something about that?

• colinleedscolinleeds Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tluiken@hotmail.com said:
    Plex still wants to transcode all subtitles though, anyone knows if I can do something about that?

The only possibility I can think of is to use mp4 container. I've been meaning to test it.

• antoniojorgeantoniojorge Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tluiken@hotmail.com said:

+1 for that! Also need 4k + subtitles...

• KorT3XKorT3X Posts: 2Members

Hello,

I have a 65B7V and I am not able to play any file without transcoding, even with your .xml, 1080p included.
    I tried with many configuration, including some from Samsung but with no results.

I always have direct streaming disabled in the logs, whereas it is checked in the app on the TV.
    Such a shame this app is not updated.

My 4 year's old Samsung TV woks better, don't know if app is working fine on Samsung but an external HTPC with PHT is definitevely required with LG...

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 470Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Or you use the XPLAY app with LG... I know you have to pay for it... but it does work much much better! I have tried both the native app with the modified xml - also tried to modify it myself but the native plex lg app is sending out what it thinks it can handle... which is wrong! at least with XPLAY which sends a similar header to PHT allows me to really play most things directly.

I wish Plex was more transparent as to what Team is working on what.... i.e. if currently the focus is all on DVR... fine but let us know so we don't make up random stories all over the place... It almost seems like there is only like 5 people working at Plex and if they can only focus on 1 platform at a time, that is fine, but let us know :smile: - or give us a better bug tracker instead of this forum stuff which is great for the community to troubleshoot but not for bug reports.

• jt999jt999 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ourcontact said:
    I have the changes listed above for the HTML TV App.xml profile and it did make some improvements.

I have come across another problem video and would like to understand how I can resolve, not just someone fix for me - but that would be nice too....

So this one (Life of Pi 2160p 4K HDR10 HEVC BT2020 DTSHD) again plays perfectly in the Video DLNA app with DirectPlay.
    When I use the LG app I get DirectStream and it ends up with occasional video, but mostly a rainbow of bleeding colors dripping from a line of flashing blocks at the top of the screen.

I have the same thing on Planet Earth II, rainbow comes in and out

@jt999 try with XPLAY then you won't have those :smile: I saw those too on my plex app with HDR content with XPLAY that is not an issue...

• jt999jt999 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@chaosmaker said:
    @jt999 try with XPLAY then you won't have those :smile: I saw those too on my plex app with HDR content with XPLAY that is not an issue...

Thanks, will try that! DLNA was fine but the interface is less than pretty!

• shanecoleshanecole Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ourcontact said:

Bad re-encode, a proper remux plays fine.