If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

2017 4K LG OLED - OLED55B7 native client

13»

Answers

• MrMarblesMrMarbles Posts: 6Members ✭✭

So I want to update the profile for LG B6V and downloaded the .xml file posted here earlier and put on my FreeNAS server under /mnt//plexmediaserver_1/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/share/plexmediaserver/Resources/Profiles

I see the file in that folder, but Plex app for WebOS is still transcoding. The file is called HTML TV APP.xml

Do I need to change the name or do anything else? Also I restarted my entire FreeNAS server to be sure that it could detect the new profile.

• elFunghielFunghi Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@colinleeds said:
    In Windows 10 x64, profiles are in '%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Profiles\'. These get replaced after a server upgrade so I created a folder called 'Profiles' in '%localappdata%\Plex Media Server\'

The profile used in my case is HTML TV App.xml. You can find the correct one in 'Plex Media Server.log'

Files will be direct streamed for mkv.

Did I get this right that you copied the profile HTML TV APP.xml into the folder you created '%localappdata%\Plex Media Server\Profiles'? And I'm not only having this issue with the WebOS Plex app but also with Chromecast Ultra, so could I also drop the chromecast.xml profile into the same folder? Would that work too?

• elFunghielFunghi Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@shanecole said:

@ourcontact said:
    I have the changes listed above for the HTML TV App.xml profile and it did make some improvements.

I have come across another problem video and would like to understand how I can resolve, not just someone fix for me - but that would be nice too....

So this one (Life of Pi 2160p 4K HDR10 HEVC BT2020 DTSHD) again plays perfectly in the Video DLNA app with DirectPlay.
    When I use the LG app I get DirectStream and it ends up with occasional video, but mostly a rainbow of bleeding colors dripping from a line of flashing blocks at the top of the screen.

Bad re-encode, a proper remux plays fine.

I must disagree, I have a C7P and the very same problem with 4K movies being transcoded. So I followed the steps described by @colinleeds and finally got direct stream but then every so often I also got those rainbow flashes. I tested then the XPlay app and guess what... It runs just fine. :/

• MetasyntacticMetasyntactic Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can only buffer at ~12mbps even over ethernet. I get identical results with the XPlay app. This is not enough to play almost any 4k content

The issue is that tv only has 100Mbps ethernet (which translates to the 12MBps rate you're getting). Unfortunately, you need to use the wifi if you want to do 4k as it is 802.11ac . This can give you up to a theoretical 166MBps which is more than enough for 4k.

• mrbraxmrbrax Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I replaced the xml file, but now it's transcoding instead, and hdr still doesn't work

• pickiepickie Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Looks like plex has been updated to better support LG, finaly :)

• robertormpcrobertormpc Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The server is installed on a unraid server...
    I created a Profile folder and placed the HTML TV App.xml file there, though my native Plex app is still not playing natively its transcoding everything.

I tried out the Xplay to have a frame of reference and I have no issue there.

Can anyone give me a hand?

• ZekesdadZekesdad Posts: 236Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ourcontact said:
    I have the OLED65B7P and am interested to know what the problems are. As far as I know Plex is ok other than 4k.

Also what troubles are there with the network stack and how does that impact the TV?

GOSH, that probably wouldnt matter EXCEPT THAT ITS A DAMN 4K TV!!!

• chaosmakerchaosmaker Posts: 538Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you want std 4K the current version of the app does really well now. Just make sure you don't have an old HTML client profile messing it up. Alternative is XPlay which seems to play pretty much anything.

So nothing to complain anymore :smile:

• HydroMonkeyHydroMonkey Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have an OLED55C7V with the same problem. Transcoding everything!
    Xplay does work but will cost me around 8 dollars or so and is russian :#
    I wrote the following profile and my 4K HDR HEVC(x265) video files are playing flawlessly in original format and HDR is detected.
    For subtitles Plex MUST transcode so, no subs.

1. Place in C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Profiles (if profiles dir is non-existent, Create it.)
    2. Name the profile exactly the same as the Client Name (the name your TV is sending plex for identification) If you don't know it, in PMS settings --> General --> Enable Plex Media Server debug logging. Then play something from your tv and check the Client Name. If it is in URL format then use this site to make it useful in your profile.
    3. In the profile replace the Client Name with your own Client Name.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Gatto_MannaroGatto_Mannaro Posts: 105Members ✭✭

@HydroMonkey said:
    I have an OLED55C7V with the same problem. Transcoding everything!

Hello!
    I'm going have somehow the same set in a few days. Sorry for the newby question but where have I to copy this file?

• SarcasSarcas Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I enabled TrueHD sound in Plex and this solved the 'transcode everything' problem, without changing profiles. But transcoding still happens with subs and this breaks HDR...

• arokharokh Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just got my OLED65B7V and Xplay definitely offers the better experience at the moment. It lets you choose subtitle and audio track before playing a video and also can jump by clicking the progress bar with the magic mouse.

• SE56SE56 Posts: 2,178Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@arokh said:
    Just got my OLED65B7V and Xplay definitely offers the better experience at the moment. It lets you choose subtitle and audio track before playing a video and also can jump by clicking the progress bar with the magic mouse.

You can do all that with PLEX

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

You certainly can't, which is why I wrote that.

• SE56SE56 Posts: 2,178Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 4

@arokh said:
    You certainly can't, which is why I wrote that.

The controls at bottom for Title, far left for subs etc. Now if you pause play and then use fast forward all using magic mouse standard on a LG smart TV(WebOS). It will jump to point your desire.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV WebOS 1.4, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

edited April 6

You just described different (less effective) ways of doing it.

EDIT: I always want to select subtitles, having to start the movie then pause it and go into menus again is quite annoying. And jumping 30 seconds at a time is going to take you a very long time if you want to skip 1 hour. Pointing at the time you want is way better. I find it odd that these two things aren't implemented in the LG app.

13»