If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Live TV Issue

avmasalaavmasala Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

First of all, it's great to finally have live TV on Roku. I realize the app is in beta, but I am having an issue that I have not seen in any other threads. When watching live TV, when I attempt to switch to another channel, I get a live TV playback is not available error. If I switch back to the channel I was previously watching, it works just fine, but it will not allow me to change the channel. PMS reboot solves the issue. Even if the Roku app is not releasing the previous channel, it shouldn't matter, as my HDHomeRun has multiple tuners available. This has only started happening in the past week. Prior to that all was well. I have a Roku 2, a Roku Premiere+, and a Roku Ultra. This happens on all units. Any suggestions?

Answers

• glennselbyglennselby Posts: 7Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey avmasala. I am preparing to switch all of my TV services to go through PMS using Roku on both TVs via the Homerun Prime with a cable card. Have you had any resolution to your issue and do you have any advice in my preparation. Thanks.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,763Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

You should first review the Read First: Posting Media Playback Issues on Roku thread pinned to the top of the Plex App for Roku forum. That thread provides instructions for determining if your media playback issue is a Plex app for Roku issue, as well as the information to include in your posts to ensure others can help you resolve the issue.

Without this information and log files, the users who provide support on this forum will not be able to isolate and recreate the cause of your issue, which is necessary to find a solution. Also see the "General Help and How To" section of the Forum Community Guidelines

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• avmasalaavmasala Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

glennselby...no resolution yet, but I do think I am narrowing down the issue on this end. Part is OTA reception issues here and part is the PMS. It isn't the Roku app, as I originally thought. On rare occasions, a passing car will briefly cause a blip in the signal on some channels (considering the amount of traffic that passes on my street, I should be thankful it doesn't happen more often). While this blip doesn't appear to affect the operation of the HDHomeRun (it recovers and continues as normal), that same blip will cause a freeze in the Plex recording. At that point, it behaves as others have posted on here...recording complete message, but the PMS thinks it is still recording. This causes that particular channel to be inoperable through PMS until I shut down and restart the PC. The recording itself will then show in my recently added items and will play to the point where the PMS couldn't recover from the signal blip. Because you will be receiving cable signals instead of OTA, I would recommend the setup you are considering. Unless you don't have a good quality cable signal, it will likely work perfectly for you!

• avmasalaavmasala Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

shopgirl284...as I stated above, it doesn't appear to be a Roku app issue at all, but a PMS error recovery issue from an OTA signal blip while recording. This does appear to be an issue only since the most recent update of the Linux version of PMS. Before that it worked perfectly.The next time it happens, if I can't resolve it myself, I will post logs.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,763Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@avmasala said:
    shopgirl284...as I stated above, it doesn't appear to be a Roku app issue at all, but a PMS error recovery issue from an OTA signal blip while recording. This does appear to be an issue only since the most recent update of the Linux version of PMS. Before that it worked perfectly.The next time it happens, if I can't resolve it myself, I will post logs.

If this is not an issue with the Plex app for Roku and instead an issue with Plex Media Server, then it should be reported to the section of the forum for Plex Media Server on your operating system. Users there will be much more familiar with your operating system, Plex Media Server logs, and common issues and solutions for Plex Media Server on that operating system.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ