Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Chromecast Live TV

megabitemegabite Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited October 2017 in Android (mobile)

still confused after having reviewed forum posts.

my Android says, "Unable to play Live TV", "Live TV playback is not currently supported when connected to a remote player..."

is casting live TV supposed to work?

Best Answers

• megabitemegabite Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

oops. sorry. finally found the FAQ. no casting of live TV.

kind of waste $$ on HDHomeRun. Xbox 360 Media Extender is still better than Plex.

what's the point of live TV if you cannot watch it on a TV?

Answers

• megabitemegabite Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

oops. sorry. finally found the FAQ. no casting of live TV.

kind of waste $$ on HDHomeRun. Xbox 360 Media Extender is still better than Plex.

what's the point of live TV if you cannot watch it on a TV?

• uvbeenzaneduvbeenzaned Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really hope that they implement this. It's the only way I use my TV's at home.

• vertig0730vertig0730 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know if it's a fluke, but I am casting from my computer to my Chromecast right now. Watching the falcon's distroy the cowboys. I am not casting my desktop.

Plex beta, latest chrome browser, original Chromecast.

• athroenerathroener Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As vertig0730 said you can cast from web using chrome but you have to right click on the video player and select cast. Do not select the cast icon on the top of plexweb.

• astoelastoel Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone know where this is on the roadmap? My TiVo died and need a replacement. Might have to buy Nvidia shield for this.

• warbwarb Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Keen to see this also! :)

• mjsalingermjsalinger Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bump. This is really needed.

• dhettingerdhettinger Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Picked up a HDHomeRun and an antenna just to be able to watch the Olympics to find out this is the case.... Plex needs to resolve this issue or make it a large bullet point at the beginning of the Plex DVR page stating that streaming is a no go streaming to a Chromecast and what ever other devices are not supported. Now I'm left with a HDHomeRun that doesn't meet my families needs and I may still need to drop more money on a Streaming TV Sub. Disappointed.

• a454novaa454nova Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 10

I too just went through tonight and got it all set up and found this out. Any insite on if and when? I have found a work around to to use the google home app and cast your screen. It not to bad.

• justinfreidjustinfreid Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 11

I could cast live TV from after starting a channel stream from the Plex web app - and it worked.
    I've changed some settings and now the video is garbled and pushed up to the top of the screen when casting.
    I'm using an HDHomeRun EXTEND so maybe it has something to do with the built in H264 encoding.
    EDIT: setting transcoder quality to High quality (30fps limit) fixed it.
    EDIT 2: now the aspect ratio is off in the web player, but channels look good on Chromecast
    EDIT 3: even while a live channel stream is working 100% on Chromecast and listed as playing Plex in the Google Home app, Plex's Now Playing tab doesn't show the stream

• tommyarnold424tommyarnold424 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass
    edited March 15

Same as above, I just started watching TV on the web app and after it started playing, i could click the cast button in chrome (not in the corner of the window) and a pop up says "would you like to continue playback on chromecast? Yes/No". Clicking yes starts the stream on the TV with the name "Live Session garbled letters and numbers". Quality looks great. But, the only playback controls that work are play/pause and mute. Nothing shows up in the activity menu, but the transcoder is running in the background. It's better than nothing, wish it was supported from the android app.

• Andriy LishchytovychAndriy Lishchytovych Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I need it too

• sky2xnosky2xno Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have bought chromecast to watch live plex dvr from my ios plex app to chromecast and it’s not working waste of money

• sky2xnosky2xno Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex plublicity page