If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Seeking on F6400 for mpeg2 .ts source jumps too far, for many versions now

On my F6400, the plex app works great with one exception, seeking when source material is mpeg2 .ts. The same files seek fine on my OSX machine with Plex Media Player. A 30 second skip forward will jump several minutes and the same for skipping back. An absolute seek using the progress bar will jump most of the show when clicking at about 10 to 15%. The distance always seem grossly exaggerated compared to the request. Seeking works just fine for mp4 source material. Any ideas?

I already posted this issue in the From the Devs Reply Thread which I think was the wrong place. I would delete it there but cannot figure out how to do so. Sorry.

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Seeking in a file on disc is different from seeking in a stream. The video needs to be 'optimized for streaming' to do so.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• karog4karog4 Posts: 4Members

@Orca, so why does seeking work perfectly on my 2 OSX machines with the same files and server but not on my Samsung TV? That would seem to indicate the player.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Posts: 7,382Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Maybe because it's transcoding? , or these players have a build-in fix for bad indexed files.
    The file probably has a broken index table and just needs to be fixed.
    There are enough tutorials on the web that will show you how this can be done.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• karog4karog4 Posts: 4Members

Not transcoding. The files are all recorded with HDHomeRun from FiOS TV. They are .ts ie transport-streams. I don't know how the OSX machines work so well. Before I saw your message just now, late yesterday I remuxed a sample program to .mpg ie program-stream and that fixed the problem. I just would prefer not to have to do that. I record with MythBackend on an odroid-xu4 which also runs the plex server. This device runs the server just fine but is not beefy enough to transcode. It took about 5 minutes to remux a 5.9 GB file running 3 to 4 cpu cores at 100%. I would hate to put the poor little device thru that much for all the many programs I record. I will look around for a fix to the index table that is less resource intensive hoping there is one to be found. I run Arch linux on my odroid.

Thanks for your replies and your fine work on the player.