If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

DTS Music Playback on Samsung Tizen

Most of us know the DTS 5.1 Playback Issue for Video Files on Samsung Tizen. It's a shame really, as the older SmartHub based Samsung TV's don't suffer this issue and work perfectly fine. While the issue exists in Tizen based TVs, there is a workaround by disabling subtitles (i.e. enabling subtitles will only allow playback on Direct Stream), and Direct Playing the file, so that DTS track is unaffected and plays fine. Now, all this applies only for Video files. For Music files, the situation is worse.

I noticed on my UN70KU6300 Tizen based TV, whenever I play a music file with DTS / DCA Audio, it always gets Transcoded to MP3. (MP3!! - how pathetic is that!), upon investigation of the Plex Media Server.log, I found its been triggered by the Samsung Tizen.xml profile.

The Music file I'm trying to play has the following XML:

<MediaContainer size="1" allowSync="1" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" librarySectionID="32" librarySectionTitle="English DTS" librarySectionUUID="67c4e5ee-6a3b-43a4-be8a-b1ca1a731e49" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1507236901">
<Track ratingKey="1706" key="/library/metadata/1706" parentRatingKey="1702" grandparentRatingKey="1701" guid="com.plexapp.agents.none://1702/3?lang=xn" librarySectionID="32" librarySectionKey="/library/sections/32" type="track" title="Paparazzi" grandparentKey="/library/metadata/1701" parentKey="/library/metadata/1702" grandparentTitle="Lady Gaga" parentTitle="The Fame (2008)" summary="" index="3" parentIndex="1" viewCount="3" lastViewedAt="1509106675" year="2000" art="/library/metadata/1701/art/1508730536" grandparentThumb="/library/metadata/1701/thumb/1508730536" grandparentArt="/library/metadata/1701/art/1508730536" duration="208240" originallyAvailableAt="2000-01-01" addedAt="1508729932" updatedAt="1508729935" createdAtAccuracy="epoch" createdAtTZOffset="21600">
<Media id="1865" duration="208240" bitrate="1411" audioChannels="6" audioCodec="dca" container="wav" audioProfile="dts">
<Part accessible="1" exists="1" id="1896" key="/library/parts/1896/946656045/file.wav" duration="208240" file="/media/Entertainment/Music/English DTS/Lady Gaga - The Fame (2008)/03-Paparazzi.wav" size="36733580" audioProfile="dts" container="wav">
<Stream id="4326" streamType="2" selected="1" codec="dca" index="0" channels="6" bitrate="1411" audioChannelLayout="5.1(side)" profile="dts" samplingRate="44100"/>
</Part>
</Media>
<Extras size="0"></Extras>
</Track>
</MediaContainer>

And, Below is a snippet of the system profile xml file:

<TranscodeTargets>
    <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,mp2,mp3,ac3,eac3" context="streaming">
        <Setting name="BreakNonKeyframes" value="true" />
    </VideoProfile>
    <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3"/>
    <PhotoProfile container="jpeg"/>
</TranscodeTargets>

<DirectPlayProfiles>
    <VideoProfile container="mp4" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,pcm" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="asf" codec="wmv3,wmv3,vc1" audioCodec="wmav2,wmav2,wmapro,wmavoice,pcm" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="avi" codec="h264,mpeg4,mjpeg" audioCodec="mp3,ac3,dca,pcm" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="mkv" codec="h264,mpeg4,mjpeg,mpeg2video,vc1" audioCodec="mp2,mp3,ac3,dca,aac,pcm,vorbis" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="mpeg" codec="h264,mpeg1video,mpeg2video" audioCodec="mp2,mp3,ac3,aac,pcm" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="flv" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,pcm" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="mpegts" codec="h264,mpeg2video,vc1" audioCodec="mp2,mp3,ac3,dca,pcm" subtitleFormat="srt,smi"/>
    <VideoProfile container="3gpp" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac"/>
    <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac"/>
    <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3"/>
    <PhotoProfile container="jpeg,gif,bmp,png"/>
</DirectPlayProfiles>

So there is no DirectPlayProfile for wav container, dca codec, and that's why it's transcoding it to MP3. Simple enough, if I add the proper DirectPlayProfile for MusicProfile, everything should be fine right? - No. Wrong. Let me explain.

I copied the Samsung Tizen.xml to the user profile path and made the necessary modifications. I verified that the PMS is loading the user profile and not the system profile - and indeed it did. (I also temporarily moved the system profile away just to be sure).

On the modified Tizen Profile, this is what I have added under DirectPlayProfiles.

<MusicProfile container="wav" codec="dca"/>

and when I play for file, the Plex Media Server.log shows the following. (Full debug log attached to this thread).

Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.693 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - TranscodeUniversalRequest: using profile Samsung Tizen
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.694 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - Downloading document http://127.0.0.1:32400/library/metadata/1706?includeBandwidths=1&X-Plex-Session-Identifier=zipo8nxsrps8xaqyulzste1t
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.696 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - Auth: We found auth token (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), enabling token-based authentication.
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.696 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - Auth: authenticated user 1 as shafraz@gmail.com
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.696 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - Auth: Came in with a super-token, authorization succeeded.
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.726 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - MDE: analyzing media item 1865
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.727 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - MDE: Paparazzi: Direct Play is disabled
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.727 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - MDE: Paparazzi: selected media 0 / 1865
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.728 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - Streaming Resource: Added session 0xe8d1a4c0:zipo8nxsrps8xaqyulzste1t
Oct 30, 2017 12:29:56.728 [0xf13ff400] DEBUG - Streaming Resource: Reached Decision id=1706 codes=(General=1001,Direct play not available; Conversion OK. Direct Play=3000,App cannot direct play this item. Direct play is disabled. Transcode=1001,Direct play not available; Conversion OK.) media=(id=1865 part=(id=1896 decision=transcode protocol=http streams=(Audio=(id=4326 decision=transcode bitrate=320 encoder=libmp3lame channels=2 rate=44100))))

It says Direct Play Disabled, and ends up direct streaming on MP3 with 2 channels stereo!
But I have Direct Play enabled on the Tizen Plex App. I also have no issues Direct Playing video files. So I wonder why it says Direct Play is disabled, and wonder why its down mixing a 5.1 track to 2 channels.

Could someone please help me with this one? I don't remember having such problems when running Plex on my pre Tizen Smart Hub based Samsung. The version provided by @Orca. That was just solid and amazing. I just don't want to end up replacing the new TV just because of smaller annoyances like this. So please help me in the right direction to have this issue solved. @sa2000

Thanks!

Answers

• shafraz@gmail.comshafraz@gmail.com Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Is this question in the right Category? or Perhaps this should be moved to the Profiles Category?

Such emptiness.... Please help me dynamic folks!

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,209Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

I will discuss this with the smart TV app team

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

@sa2000 said:
    I will discuss this with the smart TV app team

Thank you! I hope that I will be able to fix this issue and live happily ever after with Plex.

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,373Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited November 7

(MP3!! - how pathetic is that!)

Better to transcode than hear no audio don't you think?

Changes to the DirectPlayProfiles section of Samsung Tizen.xml aren't currently picked up by the app on your television. Sorry for the confusion. Looking through the SmartHub app code I can't find any evidence of it enabling WAV+DTS direct play. Weird.

Regardless, I've tested a DTS+WAV file found on https://www.ambientblog.net/blog/the-surround-mix-versions/; I can confirm my 2017 Tizen can direct play the file. We'll get support added in an upcoming update.

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

edited November 8

@mattseeley Thank you very much for your reply.

I do agree, better to transcode than hear no Audio at all. But what got me wondering is, if my old smart hub based TV with the Plex client by @Orca could play it fine, then naturally I'd expect a newer and better TV to do the same or even better. Further, I'm a sucker when it comes to good quality audio. So hearing a downsampled version doesn't make me happy. That's why. :neutral:

Anyway, I guess I need to make a correction to my original post. After reading your reply about checking the SmartHub app code on WAV+DTS, I retested my SmartHub TV, and yes, you're right. The WAV+DTS doesn't play on that at all. I mean, its direct playing it, but all I hear is just white noise. loud hum. So I was wrong about the WAV+DTS. - BUT., yes, there is a but. But, I have some other MKA+DTS files, which seem to direct play on the SmartHub, but on my Tizen, those too get transcoded to MP3 (so looks like I assumed its the same case for WAV+DTS. My bad).

Further, since you said the WAV+DTS Direct Played fine on your Tizen, I went onto the site https://www.ambientblog.net/blog/the-surround-mix-versions/ and downloaded the "ACOUSTICAL ILLUSIONS" track and attempted to play it on the Tizen. It ended up transcoding it to MP3.

So wonder how it Direct Plays for you on your Tizen, but transcodes for me on my Tizen. You mentioned yours is 2017 (Tizen 3.0?), While mine is 2016 (Tizen 2.4). Could that be a reason/ Anything I can do to have my Direct direct playing WAV+DTS like yours? :smile:

Thanks again for replying!

• mattseeleymattseeley HawaiiPosts: 1,373Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey @shafraz@gmail.com .

Further, since you said the WAV+DTS Direct Played fine on your Tizen, I went onto the site https://www.ambientblog.net/blog/the-surround-mix-versions/ and downloaded the "ACOUSTICAL ILLUSIONS" track and attempted to play it on the Tizen. It ended up transcoding it to MP3.

So wonder how it Direct Plays for you on your Tizen, but transcodes for me on my Tizen. You mentioned yours is 2017 (Tizen 3.0?), While mine is 2016 (Tizen 2.4). Could that be a reason/ Anything I can do to have my Direct direct playing WAV+DTS like yours?

I apologize, I should have been clearer! I was running a development version of the Tizen application. I had updated the source code to support WAV+DTS.

It's been pretty challenging to find audio files with DTS tracks. Are there other physical media sources besides SACD?

I'll check out MKA+DTS while adding WAV+DTS, thanks for the suggestion. :)

(Please no private messages for support unless requested, please)

Hi @mattseeley

That's for the clarification. You had me confused for a while there :smile:
    I'm so glad to hear that its working fine on the development version of the Tizen application! Can't wait for the release! I really don't wanna sound pushy, but any idea when is the approximate planned release for it?

As for the DTS audio tracks, I mostly download those. Some free, some paid, and there were a few instances in which I just ripped it off the SACD ISO image.

Most of the DTS tracks I have are either WAV+DTS, MKA+DTS and for the SACD rips, I have it as DSF files (couldn't still figure out the best way to convert it into a WAV or MKA container with DCA audio). The DSF file Codec shows us as DSD_LSBF_PLANAR, and plex plays it just fine (Transcoded of course).

Below is the XML of one of the DSF files.

<MediaContainer size="1" allowSync="1" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" librarySectionID="32" librarySectionTitle="English DTS" librarySectionUUID="67c4e5ee-6a3b-43a4-be8a-b1ca1a731e49" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1509990968">
    <Track ratingKey="1764" key="/library/metadata/1764" parentRatingKey="1763" grandparentRatingKey="1719" guid="com.plexapp.agents.none://1763/1?lang=xn" librarySectionID="32" librarySectionKey="/library/sections/32" type="track" title="Willkommen" grandparentKey="/library/metadata/1719" parentKey="/library/metadata/1763" grandparentTitle="Schiller" parentTitle="Leben (2003)" summary="" index="1" parentIndex="1" grandparentThumb="/library/metadata/1719/thumb/1509919775" duration="74211" addedAt="1509026387" updatedAt="1509026409">
    <Media id="1903" duration="74211" bitrate="16934" audioChannels="6" audioCodec="dsd_lsbf_planar" container="dsf">
    <Part accessible="1" exists="1" id="1934" key="/library/parts/1934/946545455/file.dsf" duration="74211" file="/media/Entertainment/Music/English DTS/Schiller - Leben (2003)/01. Willkommen.dsf" size="157090030" container="dsf">
    <Stream id="4367" streamType="2" selected="1" codec="dsd_lsbf_planar" index="0" channels="6" bitrate="16934" audioChannelLayout="5.1" samplingRate="352800"/>
    </Part>
    </Media>
    <Extras size="0"></Extras>
    </Track>
    </MediaContainer>

Any idea if this would direct play on the Plex Tizen Client? or perhaps on the Plex NVIDIA Shield Client?

I probably could even share with you some MKA+DTS music files, and also the DSF Music file for the above XML, if that might be of any interest to you for testing.

Thank You!