If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is OpenPHT still in development ?

Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 1,938Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OpenPHT is still my main app for Plex. I use it daily on 3 PCs hence the question about it's future. Development still active?

Best Answer

Answers

• lukecrolukecro Posts: 65Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Awesome - I can’t wait! Thanks Kwiboo!

• GittalonglildoggiesGittalonglildoggies Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Kwiboo
    Yippee, looks great. Appreciate your efforts.

My rig:
    OpenPHT - HTPC - Intel NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition, 16 GB ECC memory, Dual core 1.9 GHz, 500 GB PCIE SSD, 1 GB Ethernet.
    PMS - HTMac Server - MacPro (late 2013) - OSX 10.12.3, 12GB ECC memory, Quad core 3.7 GHz, 1 TB PCIE SSD, 1 GB Ethernet. All media stored on NAS, mounted via smb.
    NAS - Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d: firmware v3.2.14.30167, 4 - 1 TB Western Digital Black (enterprise 1.5 million hrs MTtF), all services disabled except for CIFS. Dual homed 1 GB nics.

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 1,938Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Looks very interesting, can't wait to use it.

• davidvermilliondavidvermillion Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why a rewrite? I could be wrong, but the current version of OpenPHT doesn't seem too unstable. Is it hard to maintain code-wise?

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 608Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Rewrite for the new Kodi version I suppose... @Kwiboo you rock dude!

• KwibooKwiboo Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@davidvermillion said:
    Why a rewrite? I could be wrong, but the current version of OpenPHT doesn't seem too unstable. Is it hard to maintain code-wise?

A mix of what @Coxeroni said and maintainability.

Current OpenPHT 1.8.0 is a mix of Xbmc Frodo (v12) with different subsystems backported from Gotham, Jarvis or Krypton (v15/v16/v17) making it hard to incorporate new cool features such as RetroPlayer in upcoming Kodi Leia.
    Also the way the current version interacts with PMS makes it hard to extend support for new features such as Hubs and Live TV.

@Coxeroni said:

• coz2001coz2001 Posts: 274Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Many thanks @Kwiboo much appreciated.
    Does any of you know how to play HDR content in the future using OpenPHT since it's still my preferred client and don't see this change anytime soon, right now i'm using the Odroid C2 which I believe can't play HDR?

• wally007wally007 Posts: 1,255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 3

@Kwiboo said:

@davidvermillion said:

A mix of what @Coxeroni said and maintainability.

Current OpenPHT 1.8.0 is a mix of Xbmc Frodo (v12) with different subsystems backported from Gotham, Jarvis or Krypton (v15/v16/v17) making it hard to incorporate new cool features such as RetroPlayer in upcoming Kodi Leia.
    Also the way the current version interacts with PMS makes it hard to extend support for new features such as Hubs and Live TV.

@Coxeroni said:

Hello Kwiboo,

Very much looking forward to OpenPHT. It is my main Plex client and without it I'd have left Plex.
    Will it be possible for skinner (myself) to create 'home hub' ? One thing i like about the new iOS Plex clients is that on the front page I can see Recently added files for all section types grouped. so for example if I have 3 TV Shows section, I see one Recently Added TV list.

This is not possible currently as far as I know. It would be cool if these lists (such as "Continue Watching" , Recently Added TV/Movies/Videos/Music etc ) were exposed to skinners (and documented somehow).

• KwibooKwiboo Posts: 196Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wally007 said:
    Will it be possible for skinner (myself) to create 'home hub' ?

The general plan is to use as much Kodi as possible, so skinning will be possible and at the moment all media metadata has been mapped to regular Kodi infolabel/bools, plex specific infolabel/bools will only be added when absolutely needed.

@wally007 said:
    It would be cool if these lists (such as "Continue Watching" , Recently Added TV/Movies/Videos/Music etc ) were exposed to skinners (and documented somehow).

Below are some notes I made almost a year ago of features and options I would like to have for the new Home Window.
    This do not fully reflect current ideas but the general idea is to provide a good default and have lots of options for the user to customize what is shown on the home window.

For skinners it should mainly be about implementing templates for hubs, media items etc and consuming dynamic lists of items. Exactly how this will be done is still unclear, development of OpenPHTv2 will be much more open then previous versions and I encourage anyone who can to participate in the development.
    Still need to remove Kodi branding and get build infrastructure fully up and running before current code can be pushed to a public git repository for continued developement.

Two modes to choose from: Discover (Hubs) and Browse (Libraries/Sections)

Discover (Hubs)

• Show hubs/libraries from one selected server
    • Show library hubs when a library is highlighted
    • Possible to change the selected server

• Defaults to nearest owned server
    • Option to include/exclude types of hubs (all, continue watching, movies, tvshows etc)

• Option to include/exclude plex.tv hubs (watch later, playlists? etc)

Browse (Libraries/Sections)

• Show libraries from all servers
    • Option to select types of servers to include/exclude? (all/owned/shared/sync/secondary/plex.tv etc)
    • Options to select types of libraries to include/exclude (all/movie/photo/tvshows/channels/playlists etc)

• Option to select types for a specific server? advancedsettings.xml?
    • Option to include shared libraries in the libraries list or grouped as a single "Shared Libraries" item

• Always trim the display name of libraries to allow reorder hacks using space characters

• Option to sort/cluster by server, server+type or type

• How do we define the type sort order? advancedsettings.xml?
  • wally007wally007 Posts: 1,255Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That sounds great (hubs) , I'm really looking forward to writing rich home window (the list of features sound like A LOT of work though :-) )

• GrownUps_GrownUps_ Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@Kwiboo ...this is great news looking fwd to having a customisable PHT with potential to skin.

would there be scope to import existing Kodi skins?

• Daily_PlanetDaily_Planet Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any estimated timeframe for release?

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Posts: 608Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Daily_Planet said:
    Any estimated timeframe for release?

First rule of community releases: never ask for an ETA :D

• aweaton74aweaton74 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Really looking forward to this coming. Running an Intel NUC here and frustrated with the lack of 4K HDR and HBR audio pass-through support. Fully appreciate these issues are of Intel's making.

Looks like HBR audio for Intel Nuc is coming in LibreElec 9 https://libreelec.tv/2017/10/libreelec-krypton-8-2-0-release/

• tickticktickboomtickticktickboom Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It looks great!

• occamsrazoroccamsrazor Posts: 88Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Would really like to switch from my ancient Plex Home Theater to OpenPHT, but I just can't live without the clean list views of the now ancient Mediastream skin, and despite tweaking Black Edition and Aeon Nox, I can never get them to come close enough. I guess I'm too old-school.

Mac Mini
  • GittalonglildoggiesGittalonglildoggies Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 11

@Kwiboo
    I've got some spare time this weekend. I'd be glad to kick the tires even if it's still beta.
    Thx, Ken

My rig:
    OpenPHT - HTPC - Intel NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition, 16 GB ECC memory, Dual core 1.9 GHz, 500 GB PCIE SSD, 1 GB Ethernet.
    PMS - HTMac Server - MacPro (late 2013) - OSX 10.12.3, 12GB ECC memory, Quad core 3.7 GHz, 1 TB PCIE SSD, 1 GB Ethernet. All media stored on NAS, mounted via smb.
    NAS - Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d: firmware v3.2.14.30167, 4 - 1 TB Western Digital Black (enterprise 1.5 million hrs MTtF), all services disabled except for CIFS. Dual homed 1 GB nics.

• AlitchyAlitchy Posts: 150Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 18

I’d like to put a request to incorporate the cinema vision add on into the new openpht client. It’s really the only thing I’m envious of in straight Kodi, and wish I could use it in the current openpht version

• plexburkeplexburke Posts: 496Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Looks amazing. I’ve been really happy with openpht and very excited for V2!