If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't select local library from iOS app

trolleytrolley Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 2 in iOS

When I tap the Location switcher in the iOS app I see my home server and my local server for synced content, but tapping the local server does nothing. I deleted the app and reinstalled to see if that would fix it but it's the same.

If I browse to the media I've synced on my home server it shows the synced icon, but if I try to play it I get an error:

Couldn't create the playback session for this item

This is on iOS 11.1 with Plex 4.20.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• trolleytrolley Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

OK I figured it out, but I don't know why: the problem phone is a company-issued phone that automatically connects to my work's wi-fi network through a pushed config. It's only while it's connected to that wi-fi network that the local server becomes unavailable. If I disconnect wi-fi I can connect to the local server no problem. This was not happening yesterday.

Answers

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 596Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can you reproduce both issues and immediately after sends us your client logs? Instructions: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs

Hi @sergiou87, here you go. The first timestamped one is for trying to switch to my local library and the second is for trying to play the synced media by selecting it from my remote server.

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 596Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for those logs, @trolley!

Seems like iOS "killed" the socket for the internal server at some point (5:58:19) and it couldn't recover. So I understand you can sometimes access and play synced content? But at some point it stops working until you kill the app, and then it works again for a while?

Is that the behavior you see?

I haven't been able to recover at all. I tried force killing the app (from the app switcher) and that didn't work, so I did a hard reboot (lock button and home button until it shut off, came back on, and shut off again), and finally deleted the Plex app and reinstalled it.

I have another iPhone running the exact same iOS and Plex app that is working fine. The only difference is the working one is an iPhone 7 Plus and the one that doesn't work is an iPhone 6S.

Accepted Answer

OK I figured it out, but I don't know why: the problem phone is a company-issued phone that automatically connects to my work's wi-fi network through a pushed config. It's only while it's connected to that wi-fi network that the local server becomes unavailable. If I disconnect wi-fi I can connect to the local server no problem. This was not happening yesterday.

Interesting! That's probably useful info for the server team, thank you!

Did this happen with the previous app version? (4.19.x)
    Also, have you tried to install Plex Media Server in a machine connected to your work's network? I think that server should show the same behavior, but I'd like to confirm if possible.

This is the first time I have seen this problem so it's possible it was new in 4.20. I'm not going to be able to install PMS here though, our work computers have pretty heavy restrictions what software we are allowed to install.

I'll try my personal phone on my personal wi-fi when I get home to see if the problem happens there.

4.20 includes a new version of the internal Plex Media Server that fixes many issues, but since has a lot of changes it could introduce some regressions too. We already fixed all we found during the beta period, but we'll need to fix more now.

I've passed this info to the server team hoping they can understand what's happening. If you learn anything new, please let us know.

@trolley Could you send me logs after switching off your work's wifi?

Something like this:
    1. Make sure work's wifi is enabled
    2. Try to access and play synced content
    3. Switch off wifi
    4. Try to access and play synced content
    5. Share logs with me

I'd like to see the different behavior when wifi is enabled and when it's not.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Also can you check if there is anything unusual in your phone's IP address when you're in your work's wifi and when you're not?

Checking the logs, the requests you make while you're in your work's wifi are detected/considered as WAN:

Nov 02, 2017 05:42:19.574 [0x16bb67000] DEBUG - Request: [127.0.0.1:49659 (WAN)] GET / (1 live) GZIP
    Nov 02, 2017 05:42:19.578 [0x16bb67000] DEBUG - Completed: [127.0.0.1:49659] 401 GET / (1 live) GZIP 0ms 416 bytes

But requests that succeed are detected as Loopback:

Nov 02, 2017 05:50:00.675 [0x16bb67000] DEBUG - Completed: [127.0.0.1:49788] 200 PUT /library/optimize (2 live) GZIP 127ms 195 bytes (pipelined: 1)
    Nov 02, 2017 05:50:11.106 [0x16b5ef000] DEBUG - Request: [127.0.0.1:49788 (Loopback)] PUT /library/optimize (2 live) GZIP

And only loopback requests to the internal Plex Media Server are allowed.

• MiloPlexMiloPlex Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue, however, mine is on my home network.
    Only happened since update to the latest version of the iOS app.
    Server version is fully up to date.

@MiloPlex Can you reproduce the issue and immediately after sends us your client logs? Instructions: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs

@sergiou87 Thanks.

Reproduced and I've got the client logs. When you say "sends us your client logs"...do you mean attach in a reply here?
    I also ticked the "Send logs to Plex" with verbose logging on, then reproduced (if that helps).

Thanks

@MiloPlex yeah, sorry, you can either attach them here or send them to me in a private message if you prefer :smiley:

So from what I've seen in the logs, the issue seems to be in your networks: they're using an IP range that is not within the private network range: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

The internal PMS therefore treats the request as coming from an external network and rejects the request for security reasons.

We're gonna try to workaround this particular issue, but having a private network configured with an IP range like that will probably bring more issues somewhere else, hard to detect and to fix without degrading security, so please fix those networks if you can.

For mine, I can obviously adjust my network range, but that may not be the case for everyone (especially the original poster who is on work WiFi).

So it would be good to have the Plex client work around it (as you mentioned in the private message, it shouldn't cause a security exception when trying to connect to localhost).

Thanks for all the investigations and assistance!

• Tmargo101Tmargo101 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just noticed this issue myself, in my case it only occurs while on my School's WiFI. Quite annyoing, I hope this can be fixed soon!

Just to confirm @Tmargo101 , what's the IP of your phone while you're in your school's wifi?

• Tmargo101Tmargo101 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 7

@sergiou87 My IP on the university network is 129.21.138.32. It does not fall within the private IP address ranges, as I believe we have a large enough IP block reserved for all devices on our network to have an external IP address.

EDIT: The Plex app has always been able to connect to the local server while on our WiFi, I believe this bug first appeared with the last update.

Thanks!

Yeah, the latest release includes an update in the internal Plex Media Server (which has been stuck in version 0.9.x for a very long time), including some security fixes like the one I just mentioned, that results in this issue.

We have already a workaround in place in the client, but we want to test it thoroughly to make sure it doesn't introduce regressions :confused: