If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video on iPhone X wrong

WAYFLIXWAYFLIX Posts: 430Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 3 in iOS

Plex didn’t seem to follow the guidelines of the iPhone X. Video does not stop at notch and stretches all the way across screen and off the rounded corners clipping a lot of the video image. Disappointing indeed after I saw the app had been “updated” for the iPhone X.

FYI I am not in zoomed/cropped mode.

PMS: 2013 i7 iMac, OSX 10.13.X

Storage: Drobo 5D DAS via Thunderbolt.

Connection: XFINITY 1000/35, Internal Network Cat6 1GBs wired, 802.11ac wireless.

Comments

• kevinbarrekevinbarre Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This most definitely needs to be fixed. Or give an option.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,202Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@WAYFLIX said:
    Plex didn’t seem to follow the guidelines of the iPhone X. Video does not stop at notch and stretches all the way across screen and off the rounded corners clipping a lot of the video image. Disappointing indeed after I saw the app had been “updated” for the iPhone X.

FYI I am not in zoomed/cropped mode.

Thanks for your feedback. I will discuss with the development team

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,202Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@WAYFLIX any chance of a screenshot

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• stephenpontesstephenpontes Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Confirming that I get the same behavior. Screenshot doesn't show the "notch", obviously, but here are two screenshots from what is shown when clicking play, vs double tapping to "zoom".

Regular

Double tapped

From other device

Figured this would be more helpful - what it looks like on the device itself!

Regular

Double tapped

Controls

Thank you. I have raised it with the development team

• WAYFLIXWAYFLIX Posts: 430Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 4

@stephenpontes said:
    Confirming that I get the same behavior. Screenshot doesn't show the "notch", obviously, but here are two screenshots from what is shown when clicking play, vs double tapping to "zoom".

Thanks @stephenpontes. I was just going to post the same info.

Connection: XFINITY 1000/35, Internal Network Cat6 1GBs wired, 802.11ac wireless.

• WAYFLIXWAYFLIX Posts: 430Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sa2000 said:
    Thank you. I have raised it with the development team

Thanks!

• DannyboyayyoDannyboyayyo Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. Thanks for sa2000

• zurramaruzurramaru Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've also noticed that the Home Indicator is not auto-hiding during video playback. Aside from being an eyesore, it could also present a problem for shows that have subtitles in that same space:

• sean.o.williams7@gmail.comsean.o.williams7@gmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@zurramaru said:
    I've also noticed that the Home Indicator is not auto-hiding during video playback. Aside from being an eyesore, it could also present a problem for shows that have subtitles in that same space:

My home indicator auto-hides just fine. Also it seems to be only cropped movies (no top and bottom black bars) that expand over the notch. I have mostly full blu-ray rips that display correctly.

• Avinash92Avinash92 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also get that when in "Zoomed Mode" the subtitles are cut off. More specifically the second line of the subtitles.

• zurramaruzurramaru Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sean.o.williams7@gmail.com said:
    My home indicator auto-hides just fine. Also it seems to be only cropped movies (no top and bottom black bars) that expand over the notch. I have mostly full blu-ray rips that display correctly.

I reinstalled the Plex app on my phone, and now the Home Indicator is hiding properly. It also fixed the placement of some UI items that were clashing with the Home Indicator.

• kurohououkurohouou Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 5

I noticed the same thing with most videos extending into the "notch" area. The ideal for me would be to end right before the notch on one side, then on the other end right before the corner starts to round. That way you maximize the size of the video while keeping it perfectly square in the corners.

Also, really need to add support for HDR 4K direct streaming now that the iPhone X supports it :) Ultimate wish right there!!

• scream88scream88 Posts: 17Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 6

On my iPhone X I got problems with video playback at all. If I play the video all works fine until I switch something (volume with button or pause the video with the touch screen). If I do that, the video freezes but audio is still playing. All other things stop responding and I've to wait until the phone is killing the app completly.

Some other with this issue? (iOS11.1 on iPhone X... as I can see also other Apps with video players are affected. YouTube for example is working fine).

• SteveW25561SteveW25561 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm definitely in the camp for avoiding the notch with video! The Apple (iTunes) video player handles this properly.
    I like @kurohouou's suggestion above, or do as Apple is and shrink symmetrically to avoid the notch. Apple's way keeps the video centered, while @kurohouou's mazimizes the video size but it will be slightly off center.

Offer all 3 (notchless centered, notchless maximized, notched fullscreen) - in that order. Make notchless centered the default to keep in line with symmetry and Apple's own design, then double tap to move between the 3 options.

Using Tapatalk
  • uberman15uberman15 Posts: 176Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any update from the devs? Do they agree this is wrong and will fix in a future update. Makes Plex on my iPhone completely unusable for movies.

A fix for the issue reported here is being progressed and will make its way into the release cycle

• jscolemanjscoleman Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sa2000 said:
    A fix for the issue reported here is being progressed and will make its way into the release cycle

Any chance to get mini control options in the notch areas?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/295713/iphone-x-full-screen-video-notch-area-ui-idea