If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Fire TV video freezing

LoungeFlyZLoungeFlyZ Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have one of the new Fire TVs (not the stick).

I'm using it for Live TV ... however when I start a channel it plays for a few seconds before the video freezes. However the audio keeps playing.

I am using the hard-wired ethernet adapter for it (100Mbps) and have no issues playing 4k content on the Fire TV from other apps like Netflix and Amazon Video.

I currently have speed settings in the Plex app set to 20Mpbs for local and remote just to try and see if that helped but it doesn't seem to have.

I also see the "now playing" in the Plex status with Direct Play ... so it's not transcoding by the looks of it. I was doing this with an HDHomeRun PRIME and Frontier Fios TV ... channel 505 (NBC i think).

I am new to diagnosing issues like this, so any helpful pointers would be great.

Answers

• ruckruck Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Bought a lifetime plexpass and an HDHomeRun just for this. Kind of disappointed with the how buggy it is on the fireTV. Interestingly, I can open the sam channel on my phone using the plex client for Android on my phone it works perfectly. 100% smooth no stuttering at all. Seems to be something with Fire devices in general. I am using AC wireless. Will keep monkeying with setting to see if I have any luck

• ruckruck Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 9

@LoungeFlyZ After playing with this over the past few hours, I can only come to the conclusion the liveTV functionality isnt remotely ready for prime time. I just installed the HDGrandSlam plugin and it works flawlessly. I fear I have paid for useless feature. Curious if you have the same experience with the plugin.

https://github.com/jumpmanjay/HDGrandSlam.bundle/releases/tag/v1.6.3

Update: Only issue now looks to be interlacing

• LoungeFlyZLoungeFlyZ Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks. I have resorted to the HDHomeRun App for Fire TV for live TV until this gets resolved. It's pulling directly from my HDHomeRun, bypassing plex currently, and working really well.

I will try the HDGrandSlam plugin too. I tried HDHRViewer and had some success.