If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't stream from an iPad to Apple TV?

ademanueleademanuele Posts: 109Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have an iPad Pro with Plex and cannot stream content to my Apple TV (my regular Plex server is in for repair!). I have the latest OS on my iPad and Apple TV and latest version of the Plex app? I can neither stream or fling content to Apple TV... Any ideas?

Answers

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 596Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Do you use AirPlay or the Apple TV app?

• ademanueleademanuele Posts: 109Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 8

I have tried AirPlay from the iPad to the Apple TV and also flinging the content from Plex on the iPad to Plex on Apple TV, neither are working...

Since posting I see that others are having issues
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/288202/airplay-from-plex-on-ios-11-broken/p1
    Do we have a timescale for resolution/app update?

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 596Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The issue from that thread you just linked is already solved, so whatever happens to you seems something different.

What happens if you play content directly from the Apple TV app (using the Apple TV remote)? Does it work there?

My server has died (in the process of being repaired) which is why I am using my iPad at the moment... It was working fine until last week so the issue is with the iPad. I have tried streaming to 2 different Apple TVs (Gen 4 and Gen 4k)...

Ohhh sorry, so you mean you're trying to stream synced content? Is that correct?

Enable Settings -> Sharing -> Synced content and see if that works.

OK, had not thought of doing it this way. I have enabled sharing and can see my iPad from Plex on the Apple TV 4K and see all the content. When I try and play content I get the spinning gear wheel and looks like it is trying to play but the goes back to a screen showing "Playing next"...

I should add that I can stream all other content from my iPad to AppleTV without any issues e.g. YouTube, PowerPoint, Videos... Seems to be a Plex issue. Running iOS 11.1 on my iPad Pro 10.5" and TV OS 11.1 Latest versions of Plex on both iPad and Apple TV.

Yeah that seems right. Could you reproduce the issue and immediately after share your client logs with me? (either here or privately)

Instructions: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201636593-iOS-Logs

Thanks, have just sent you the logs via a message...

Sorry I don't see them anywhere :(

Just resent as a message...

I see something but not sure if related to your issue. What steps do you follow exactly? Because I don't see anything in the log saying you tried to fling synced content to your Apple TV, but maybe I just missed it :flushed:

Sorry, I tried to cast to my Apple TV at work, I will need to test iPad sharing when I get home tonight (don't have Plex app on this Apple TV). Will send you logs... Thanks again for your help.

Interesting. Back home and using a different Apple TV (Gen 4), I have 4... I noticed that there was a new version of Plex on this Apple TV (I have not used this in a week so not sure when released)... When I went to the Apple TV Plex I could now play content from my iPad using sharing. I could also fling content from my iPad to my Apple TV, but could not get content to play using streaming (selecting screen mirroring). I have attached the logs...

Thanks for the logs @ademanuele ! What do you mean with this exactly?

but could not get content to play using streaming (selecting screen mirroring)

I usually stream content by selecting the cast icon (Chromecast) and selecting my AppleTV but this is not working.
    I also tried selecting my iPad (Plex server) from AppleTV and could not get this to work.
    I did a fresh install of iOS and deleted/reinstalled Plex and issue persists...