If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How can i edit the Plex Profile on my WD Cloud EX2 Ultra

I got the Plex Server on my WD Cloud EX2 Ultra. When i start to use the Plex Client on another Device, it tells me the Server is not powerful enough for playing. But i know my TV can handle the files. So i need to know how to edit those Profiles.

I got an LG 43UH661V and WD Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB.

Im relativ new to Plex Server

Tagged:

Answers

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 343Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Welcome to Plex!
    I can give a brief overview, but we'll probably have to wait for a more knowledgeable person about the WD Server part to weigh in.

There are several parts that dictate how Plex handles files:
    Plex Media Server - First, there's the server, which does what the name implies, it serves up the files... How it does this is highly dependent on:
    The Client - There are several clients, and all of them have their quirks and specifics of what files they take and what they can't. For example, a Roku can handle a way different set of files than an Apple device can. Depending on those requirements, Plex will either transcode or direct stream the file to the client.
    Getting to the Point - Plex will look at the file and the client and see if there's a match. If so, the file goes through for the most part with no issues. If there's an incompatibility, Plex changes the file on the fly to be compatible. This of course is more intensive on the server side, and depending on the files could prove costly to the processor... perhaps too much so to perform at all.

Hopefully this helps with general understanding. I know this isn't a fix for you, but it could help point you in the right direction.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• FatmanHuntingFatmanHunting Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Thx for your Info. This is what i understand so far :) The Problem is i dont know which file is used for my TV and i dont know where it is located. On a Windows Plex Server i was able to edit it, but not succesfully :D.

You don't really load profiles for devices into Plex. If there's a client available for your device, then Plex has everything it needs built in to do the job. The next things to look at are the file you're trying to play, and the WD Device itself.

I assume the client is installed directly on the TV?
    Also, I assume that it's displaying your library correctly and the menus function?
    What version of PMS is running on the WD? Settings > Server
    What are the specifics of the file you're trying to run?

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

My Plex Server is on Version 3.27.1.
    i installed the official Plex app from the lg content store. The Menü is displaying correctly.
    I tried to play mkv 4K - HEVC - Bitrate 51294 kbps with DTS 5.1 on a Bitrate 1536 kbps.
    The Plex Client for my LG TV doesnt know that it can play this file.
    I tried to use Xplay as alternative and it worked perfectly fine.

my bad my server is on Version 1.9.4.4325

Just looked into XPlay, which looks intriguing. Honestly, if it works, use it. There's probably some technical reason the proper Plex client doesn't want to play nice, which probably led to people developing XPlay as an alternative for LG TVs.

Your PMS is up to date, and your machine should be able to handle it. I don't have much experience in the 4k realm as of yet, but I know those files can be taxing if any transcoding needs to happen.

hmm ok. Im interested in those things so i wanna know :D, maybe someoneelse can help me. But if i dont get futher i pay the 550 rub and use xplay. Thank you for your help.

Well, I may stand corrected. This post popped up today about profiles. Hopefully it can set you on the right path to a solution:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/73702/writing-profiles-for-dlna-devices#latest

thx for that, i just bought xplay yesterday :#