If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android Battery Drain

HuskyoffHuskyoff Posts: 118Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've noticed that recently, Plex on Android (8.0, Pixel 1) is draining the battery in the background. Anybody else? I drive 15 min, streaming, then sitting in the background paused (like normal), yet, hours later, I shows 23% battery going to plex since last charge, this am.

I re-installed the app, played no music, and an hour later, 2% gone too plex in the background. I only opened the app after re-install.

Anybody else having issues?

Comments

• HuskyoffHuskyoff Posts: 118Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 14

Nobody has this issue? The app, paused in the background is just sucking the battery down..... 1106Mah. I used Plex to and from work, streaming music, then paused when the car was shut off and slowly draining. The drain seems to happen when Plex is paused in the background.

This is not normal. Something changed about a week ago, maybe 2.

48% of the battery went to Plex for about 45 min of playing music.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,038Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can you grab the logs from the app and post them here?

• filippo333filippo333 Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex has always drained a huge amount of battery for me as long as it runs in the background. Even if your device is locked and nothing is playing, it’s constantly trying to communicate with the server.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Can you grab the logs from the app and post them here?

Logs sent directly.

@filippo333 said:
    Plex has always drained a huge amount of battery for me as long as it runs in the background. Even if your device is locked and nothing is playing, it’s constantly trying to communicate with the server.

I've not seen that historically. Only in the last few weeks has it drained so much. It takes all day, but by the end of the day, it's consuming ~45% of the total battery.

Update for today... So far. And not played any music since the drive in.

Update, still have not used the app, only paused in the background....

Last update.....let me know if you want today's logs.

• tylerversion2tylerversion2 Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 15

I'm having a similar issue. My phone is getting quite hot for a long time. Its clearly burning lots of CPU. Sync appears to be "Updating information" for a long time...it never seems to complete, or it finishes and immediately starts again. I do have many items synced, but this problem is new.

I say it's burning CPU because my phone is extremely sluggish while Plex updates information. Good luck playing any video until you pause sync.