If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

What exactly does Plex sync? it seems to be WAY too much data!

eidyloneidylon Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 12 in Android (mobile)

I wanted to sync down my entire music library to my phone and use Plex as my media player on the go rather than having multiple apps installed. So I deleted all my MP3 files on my SD card to make the room and then started Plex on syncing my music library.

Now, my music library is about 54GB. So, I set the Plex app to use no more than 75GB of space on the card for syncing.
I figured even including album art and some meta data, 75GB should be more than enough for a 54GB library.
Well, after 3 or 4 days of syncing, it has gotten through less than half of my library, and already used up the 75GB allocated!!!

So based on the numbers it is downloading almost twice as much meta data as actual music data!
What in the world is going on?????

Answers

• eidyloneidylon Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 12

As some additional information to confuse things, using FX File Manager, to check the size of the files, the Plex data folder reports only containing 20GB of data.

So now I'm even more confused!

• eidyloneidylon Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 13

Well, that's that. Not going to try to synch my whole music library via Plex anymore.
    Now I can't delete the sync (it actually filled up my SD card), can't delete the apps data, can't even uninstall the app it seems, without it crashing the phone and causing it to reboot after 10 or 15 minutes of processing.

Clearly it is better to just local copy all my MP3s onto the SD card, and then use a media player app. :(

Hopefully I can manage to get rid of the app, and then reinstall it (without sync) without needing to factory reset my phone!