If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

iOS App - How to Add Remote Server

PBPlexMoviesPBPlexMovies Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

How do you add a remote server to the iOS Plex app? And why is this so F***ing hard to figure out?

I'm trying to add my brother to my Plex Server (who lives in another state). My Plex app finds my server just fine. I'm also 100% sure the remote access feature on the server works since I can go outside of my network and my iOS Plex app works fine. On my brother's fresh install of the iOS Plex app, however, there doesn't seem to be a way to add a remote server? Am I missing something obvious or did someone royally screw up with this app? Please help. Thanks.

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,733Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204226753-Friends
    It's not that hard. You invite him from the users settings of your server.
    He gets an email. He clicks the link acknowledging he knows you.
    He associates the IOS plex app with his plex.tv account. His plex app sees that you are friends and lists your server as a selection on the main screen of server selections.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.7.4460
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM
  • PBPlexMoviesPBPlexMovies Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Thank you, that does appear to be the solution. It's disappointing that the Plex app development team has made a process that it so simple and works so well on other devices like the Roku (here's your 4 digit code) work so differently on the iOS app (with of course NO documentation or "help" within the app itself on how to do this).

You tell your family about your server and invite them to join. They install the app and then "it doesn't work" from their perspective since there is no way to add your server. Plex needs to do better with this....

• eckartheckarth Posts: 455Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I feel you think it is hard because of a misconception. You are not adding server to a device, you add them to an account. You will open up the plex app with your user credentials and then it will show all servers available to your account. Adding servers to your account happens on the web and not within the app. They become available to the user on every device he is using.

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,733Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 12

I tend to agree with eckarth.
    Your understanding of how to 'invite them to join' was simply not yet correct.
    Of several things in the Plex environment I may not be happy with, sharing with end users is not one of them.

Since it's possible a end user could access multiple servers, a Plex user doesn't (nor should) have to remember what IP or server names to type in to 'add a server' for each one.
    In Plex's case, they simply associate a device with their account (by PIN or login), Plex sees who has shared with them, and they get to see the selections.
    From experience, I have some of the most non-modern-technology-capable family members and friends as part of mine - they would never remember how to add a server when they get new devices - but with Plex current setup, they remember their login and some have even used more than the original device they started with because Plex makes it easier

There are many helpful knowledge base articles intended for you as the server owner so that you can become more familiar with it's features and operations.
    As In most server administrative positions of life, the server administrator is expected to be more educated about it's operations than the end users.

If your question has been answered, please mark the post you found answered so this topic doesn't appear in 'unanswered questions' any longer.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.7.4460
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM