If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku 8.0.0 rebooting with Plex 5.0.5

coneslayerconeslayer Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I recently upgraded from a Roku 2 to a Roku Streaming Stick (3800X) running version 8.0.0 build 3138-55 of the Roku OS. I'm getting frequent crashes with Plex 5.0.5, more than once per hour. First the audio stops, then a second or two later the video freezes, then after a few more seconds the Roku usually reboots. (Occasionally I've had to power cycle the Roku because it didn't reboot and was unresponsive to the remote.)

Other Roku channels that we use frequently (DirecTV Now, ESPN, YouTube) have been working reliably.

Tagged:

Answers

• coneslayerconeslayer Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've changed the transcode format from Automatic to HLS in the Roku Plex channel, and (fingers crossed) this seems to have helped. I've watched 2-3 hours without a crash, including some of the same files that were crashing every 20 minutes or so before.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,763Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

You should also review the Read First: Posting Media Playback Issues on Roku thread pinned to the top of the Plex App for Roku forum. That thread provides instructions for determining if your media playback issue is a Plex app for Roku issue, as well as the information to include in your posts to ensure others can help you resolve the issue.

The Plex for Roku Launcher described in the Roku Logs support document can be helpful for getting Roku logs when the system is crashing or rebooting.

Without this information and log files, the users who provide support on this forum will not be able to isolate and recreate the cause of your issue, which is necessary to find a solution. Also see the "General Help and How To" section of the Forum Community Guidelines

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ