If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex LG WebOS playback issues

Hi there,

I've recently bought an LG 43UJ701V smart TV with WebOS, however I'm experiencing playback issues with Plex. I have confirmed that both the Plex app and TV software versions are up to date.

The issue i'm experiencing is constant buffering of the video, it's not being transcoded to a different format but is using the "DirectStream" method. I'm unable to see any major load on the Plex server so this does not look like an issue with the server, I have also checked the network and used ethernet to test and this does not improve the issue.

When checking the Plex status in the browser I see that both the audio and video are as "DirectStream" but the status is as "converting (throttled)".

Any help with the issue is greatly appreciated and if you would like me to provide further details just let me know what you'd like and I'd be more than happy to provide!

Many thanks,

Answers

• CamBanfieldCamBanfield Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Just to add to this, it appears it only happens on 1080p content, even if it's transcoded. As soon as I set the quality to 2mbps 720p the stream plays perfectly fine.

Once again to confirm, this is not a network or server issue as both work perfectly fine for my Chromecast and other devices on the network

Thanks

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,749Members ✭✭✭✭

What format is the content and with or without subtitles?

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Hi,

The video is in H264 and the audio AC3 in an MKV container. This is without subtitles

Many thanks

@CamBanfield said:
    Hi,

The video is in H264 and the audio AC3 in an MKV container. This is without subtitles

Many thanks

What "Level" do you have the H.264 files?

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

I would try deselecting AC3 audio on LG Plex app

I've just checked and the files are 4.1. I have also checked the TV app settings and the max level is set at the default 5.1. I will try deselecting the audio now and get back shortly

Thanks

Just given it a go with AC3 disabled and unfortunately it is still buffering every 30 seconds or so :(

Transcoding settings, try different to Auto. There are reports of buffering in the forums. I have a similar issue but it's only every now and then. Say every 20-25 minutes. This only occurs with mkv titles.

Just given it a go, so now AC3 is disabled (says it's transcoding to AAC) and setting the quality to "10Mbps 1080p" now buffers a lot less, so it makes it somewhat usable compared to before.

The original quality was "11.1Mbps 1080p (Original) so it's confusing me that the slight difference of 1.1Mbps has helped. Unless it's because it's transcoding it fully now?

Thanks

• Dr ToneDr Tone Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

From your description it sounds like you have network issues and transcoding to a small enough stream solves the issue. Are you wired or wifi to the TV?

@Dr Tone said:
    From your description it sounds like you have network issues and transcoding to a small enough stream solves the issue. Are you wired or wifi to the TV?

Unfortunately that isn't the case :( I thought this initially when using wifi but later tried with ethernet too and still had the same issues. Other devices on my network also work fine over both wifi and ethernet when streaming / transcoding the same files

Thanks

@CamBanfield said:
    Just given it a go, so now AC3 is disabled (says it's transcoding to AAC) and setting the quality to "10Mbps 1080p" now buffers a lot less, so it makes it somewhat usable compared to before.

The original quality was "11.1Mbps 1080p (Original) so it's confusing me that the slight difference of 1.1Mbps has helped. Unless it's because it's transcoding it fully now?

Thanks

What you can try is a channel change on your wifi router, or try a free app like Netgear genie that assists with Congestion and interference detection. Probably your best bet would be invest in a "Power adapter" if you can not improve your Wifi LAN, better than wires across the floor.

• Dr ToneDr Tone Posts: 123Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 13

@CamBanfield said:

@Dr Tone said:

Unfortunately that isn't the case :( I thought this initially when using wifi but later tried with ethernet too and still had the same issues. Other devices on my network also work fine over both wifi and ethernet when streaming / transcoding the same files

Thanks

Still sounds like a weird network issue to me. No way going lower and lower on the transcode improves the performance if it isn't some type of delivery issue.

Go back to ethernet and confirm the wireless is disconnected when plugged in via ethernet. Better yet remove the wifi connection from your TV config first and then plug in ethernet. A hard reboot of the TV after getting ethernet going would be my next step.

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, I really do appreciate it.

Last night I was trying to watch some more content and this time it wouldn't even play at the 10Mbps 1080p, for it to work correctly this time I had to set it all the way down to 2Mbps 720p before it would play without buffering.

I do see how this could look like a network issue but I really believe it isn't. I have tested with wired ethernet to the TV and it didn't help. This is gigabit ethernet and i'm not using some cheap "home" style network gear. The WiFi is also 5Ghz wifi AC. As stated all of the other devices using the same network play the content perfectly, it's just this device that has issues which makes me believe there is something up with the device, be it the Plex software or LG cheaping out and installing awful hardware in it?

If this isn't resolved I'll probably end up buying a Chromecast Ultra or something similar

Many thanks

Try DLNA function with Media share on the LG. If it stops it may well be plex client setup.

@SE56 said:
    Try DLNA function with Media share on the LG. If it stops it may well be plex client setup.

Given it a go and works okay. Just to add YouTube 4K HDR streams perfectly fine without buffering, same with Netflix for example. I have also loaded up the web browser and performed a speedtest.net on it and shows a good 60mbps download, so the network isn't limiting it here

Thanks

edited November 14

Well the next thing to do, Uninstall Plex on your TV, reset TV back to factory default but take note of your settings prior. Turn power for Tv from the wall socket for at least 2 minutes. Turn back on and go to install the Plex app again. You can now change your TV settings back to your preferred settings. Hope it works out for you.

You could try xPlay for LG WebOS, unfortunately it's not a free app. With your model it's using WebOS 3.5 and have read there are issues mentioned in the forum.

Page for xPlay:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/168315/xplay-webos

I'll give that other client and try and see how it goes from there!

I have also came across this post on the forum: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/292257/streaming-with-webos-3-5
    It appears to be the same issue I'm getting. They were mainly testing with 4k mkv files but also experienced the same issue with 1080p mkv content.

Sounds like there must be some underlying issue with the plex client here, maybe a bug report needs to be logged?

• fahad1404fahad1404 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I have same issue, in my LG smart TV Model: 65UJ634V with webOS 3.5
    But I have another streaming device (Roku3) plays movies without any issue.