If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Xbox One X and 4K X265 HDR / Dolby Atmos

BK89BK89 Posts: 7Members Plex Pass

Every 4K file I've tried with Plex just simply transcodes. Even if the hardware iIplay it on supports it. Which leaves me to think I'll have to wait for yet another update from Plex.

When the file is played with the "Movies & TV" app the files plays without a hitch, but as soon as I try the same file through the Plex app it fails horribly. Refuses to use DirectPlay and transcodes the file instead. And fails because the server is far from powerfull enough.

What's going on? What is holding Plex back here?

Both server and Xbox is connected by gbit ethernet.

Answers

• DomBlackDomBlack Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the same issue. The HEVC file has a TrueHD stream and an AC3 5.1 stream. Selecting the AC3 stream, the audio direct plays, but the video get transcoded to x264.

However the “Movies & TV” app can direct play that file from the Plex server without any transcoding.

• deslessdesless Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, HEVC transcode and AVC direct play/stream. A bit annoying, as the X decode HEVC just fine by hardware.

• morpheus2n2morpheus2n2 Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The App doesn't support HDR Currently its being looked at, MS have locked down things like Atmos to only AAA Games and the Blu-ray app, not even Netflix or amazon have access to Atmos on the Xbox.

The Xbox One S & X can both play 4K HEVC files just fine but the Audio needs to be in AAC or AC3 (AAC is far more compatible on the XO) anything like DTS-MA, Atmos, Dolby-HD etc will courses plex to transcode the file as the Xbox will refuse to play it.

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 571Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@morpheus2n2 said:
    The App doesn't support HDR Currently its being looked at, MS have locked down things like Atmos to only AAA Games and the Blu-ray app, not even Netflix or amazon have access to Atmos on the Xbox.

The Xbox One S & X can both play 4K HEVC files just fine but the Audio needs to be in AAC or AC3 (AAC is far more compatible on the XO) anything like DTS-MA, Atmos, Dolby-HD etc will courses plex to transcode the file as the Xbox will refuse to play it.

Netflix has Atmos on Xbox One: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Plex will get it eventually.

@mbarylski said:

@morpheus2n2 said:

Interesting seems MS did unlock it then :)

@morpheus2n2 said:

Well, not for me. Only 4K I can play is AVC.

HEVC with AC3 sound buffers every 30 sec due to transcoding. Not one single HEVC file have I've been able to play, on the S and the X.

Is it something with the DLNA profile I have to change? Will subs like Pgs or srt make it transcode?

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 571Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@morpheus2n2 said:

@mbarylski said:

@morpheus2n2 said:

Interesting seems MS did unlock it then :)

Yep, wasn't that long ago though. Maybe only a month or 2.

@mbarylski said:
    Yep, wasn't that long ago though. Maybe only a month or 2.

That explains it, I know for the longest of time its was locked down for App's so its good that MS have started to open the core system up more for App to utilise :)

@desless said:

Well, not for me. Only 4K I can play is AVC.

HEVC with AC3 sound buffers every 30 sec due to transcoding. Not one single HEVC file have I've been able to play, on the S and the X.

Is it something with the DLNA profile I have to change? Will subs like Pgs or srt make it transcode?

I think its more to do with the New app, as on the Old Plex App my HEVC files would play just fine with Direct Play/Stream, When looking at the Known issues it seems for a few of the Issues your asked to turn Direct Play off so that says to me they broke something between apps :(

• chansearringtonchansearrington Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any update on this?

• emma24xiaemma24xia Posts: 99Members ✭✭

The Xbox One X models are capable of playing content at a 4K output resolution. Native playback of 4K content is supported so long as it meets the following criteria:
    Resolution: 4096x2160 or smaller
    Video Encoding: H.265 (HEVC; both 8-bit and 10-bit) and mpeg4
    The content is being Direct Played
    No subtitles are enabled

Tip!: If you have 4K content with a different encoding (such as H.264), it cannot be played at 4K and will instead be transcoded down to a maximum of 1080p.

• ianheat83ianheat83 Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi Plex Forum Admins,

Will Plex app for Xbox One receive an update to support Dolby Atmos?

Thanks

Ian

• jordi.ferez@gmail.comjordi.ferez@gmail.com Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Yes please add Atmos support via Diret Play in XBOX ONE X

• sardino73sardino73 Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please could you give us any information on dolby atmos coming to xbox one x plex app?
    Thanks
    Regards
    David

• chansearringtonchansearrington Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@emma24xia said:
    The Xbox One X models are capable of playing content at a 4K output resolution. Native playback of 4K content is supported so long as it meets the following criteria:
    Resolution: 4096x2160 or smaller
    Video Encoding: H.265 (HEVC; both 8-bit and 10-bit) and mpeg4
    The content is being Direct Played
    No subtitles are enabled

So do s this mean the Xbox App now supports HDR?

• Jonoc4Jonoc4 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@DomBlack said:
    I am having the same issue. The HEVC file has a TrueHD stream and an AC3 5.1 stream. Selecting the AC3 stream, the audio direct plays, but the video get transcoded to x264.

However the “Movies & TV” app can direct play that file from the Plex server without any transcoding.

Is this true? I've tried the Movies & TV app multiple times to stream UHD rips over DLNA from windows media DLNA server and it definitely doesn't work. I've not tried the Plex DLNA server though since i heard only NVidia Shield TV can direct stream 4k HDR over plex

edited January 10

resume:
    XBOX ONE X + NETFLIX ---> Atmos + HDR working well
    XBOX ONE X + PLEX ---> Mkv only works HDR + Dolby 5.1 (same Mkv on PC works Atmos + HDR)

I think Direct Play is not support yet in PLEX for XBOX ONE

@jordi.ferez@gmail.com said:
    resume:
    XBOX ONE X + NETFLIX ---> Atmos + HDR working well
    XBOX ONE X + PLEX ---> Mkv only works HDR + Dolby 5.1 (same Mkv on PC works Atmos + HDR)

I think Direct Play is not support yet in PLEX for XBOX ONE

MKV is a sample of dolby ATMOS , only one audio track , on my AVR the ATMOS is not detected

@Jonoc4 said:

@DomBlack said:

Is this true? I've tried the Movies & TV app multiple times to stream UHD rips over DLNA from windows media DLNA server and it definitely doesn't work. I've not tried the Plex DLNA server though since i heard only NVidia Shield TV can direct stream 4k HDR over plex

Same goes for me, Movies & TV app on the Xbox can direct play HDR ripped movies but Plex can't.

• v8marov8maro Posts: 12Members ✭✭

When will this be fixed?!? All of my h.265 / atmos content is transcoding to h.264 and it's super annoying.

• DocACE911DocACE911 Posts: 208Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BK89 said:
    Every 4K file I've tried with Plex just simply transcodes. Even if the hardware iIplay it on supports it. Which leaves me to think I'll have to wait for yet another update from Plex.

When the file is played with the "Movies & TV" app the files plays without a hitch, but as soon as I try the same file through the Plex app it fails horribly. Refuses to use DirectPlay and transcodes the file instead. And fails because the server is far from powerfull enough.

What's going on? What is holding Plex back here?

Both server and Xbox is connected by gbit ethernet.

Movies and TV app will SEE the plex server AND PLAY 4k HDR today. I will NOT trnascode audio.

PLex app transcodes the 4k HDR and ATMOS to 4k washout out crapola and 5.1

The NVidia shield works 100% with plex.