If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Casting from Chrome to Chromecast, audio transcoded OK; from Android to Chromecast, not OK

EL RODEL ROD Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Hi.

Plex Server (Windows) -> Chromecast -> Stereo Receiver

Using Chrome Browser, casting to Chromecast, audio transcodes AC3->AAC, so there's audio output (expected) :) :

Using Android App, casting to Chromecast, no transcoding happens, it only shows Direct Play, so no audio (unexpected) :/ :

Direct Play is disabled on the server and I thought Chromecast.xml on the server controlled the transcoding behaviour globally.

Not sure what else to check.

Can anyone help?

Cheers.

Answers

• EL RODEL ROD Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Nothing? Anyone?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

When casting, the video/audio compatibility is actually based on the casting device. From your Web it shows AC3 -> AAC and mobile it shows direct play, would would indicate that on your mobile device, you have audio support for AC3 enabled, so the cast is trying to also use AC3. Turn off AC3 support on your device before casting.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    When casting, the video/audio compatibility is actually based on the casting device. From your Web it shows AC3 -> AAC and mobile it shows direct play, would would indicate that on your mobile device, you have audio support for AC3 enabled, so the cast is trying to also use AC3. Turn off AC3 support on your device before casting.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

These are my settings:

Is there anything else I need to check/uncheck?

@MovieFan.Plex ? Hello? Can you help me?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Ah, you are using the old Android Media player. This has different codec support and probably ignores those other settings, which is interfering with the determination of what can be played. Turn this off.

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Ah, you are using the old Android Media player. This has different codec support and probably ignores those other settings, which is interfering with the determination of what can be played. Turn this off.

@MovieFan.Plex what do you mean old Android Media player?

I'm using the app from the Play Store, version 6.9.0.2683, dated November 13 2017.

Is there a newer/better version of the app? Where can I find/download it?

Also, when you mention "Turn this off", what needs to be turned off, and where?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.

edited November 16

OK, I think you mean the checkbox on the first screen.

Will try right now and let you know.

Cheers.

Same result without the checkbox, DirectPlay only from the mobile app. :(

@MovieFan.Plex any other ideas, am I using the wrong app, something else?

Please try again, then provide me the log from the Android app and your PMS.

@MovieFan.Plex OK, will do.

@MovieFan.Plex there are a lot of personal details on the logs.

Is there any way to send them securely to you?

Please let me know.

Cheers.

edited November 19

You can PM the logs to me. Click on my name, then send message.