If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

FireTV Plex > Local Server > Local Streaming?

neuikcneuikc Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I've started sharing to a single external family member my Plex library and it appears to be working fine. But for some reason now all my local streams (server and FireTV on same subnet/network via wired LAN connections) appear to be "throttled" as if my bandwidth is being shared when the external user is streaming also.

So my question is, on the FireTV we're required to login to our Plex accounts (I have PlexPass) to take advantage of all the features available to it. Is this connection streaming out of my network and then back into my FireTV instead of directly from the server to the client?

I shouldn't be competing for bandwidth with any external streams, like it appears I am.

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,044Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@neuikc said:
    So my question is, on the FireTV we're required to login to our Plex accounts (I have PlexPass) to take advantage of all the features available to it. Is this connection streaming out of my network and then back into my FireTV instead of directly from the server to the client?

It's possible that this is happening. Depending on how your network is setup, and if you have the security settings in PMS set to preferred, if your Fire TV cannot create a secured local connection, it will then try a secured remote connection. If this is the case, in the Fire TV app settings, there is an option to allow insecured connection on the local network, which will then prefer an insecured local connection. You'll still need to figure out what a secured local connection cannot be made. Reviewing your PMS and app logs may provide some insite.