If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

The Plex Sync Functionality Thread

Tbonesteak4dinnerTbonesteak4dinner Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello everyone,
I wanted to create a central resource for people waiting for the issues with Plex Sync to be cleared up. I will keep posting back if nothing else just so this thread sticks around. Everybody has a different use case, but there's an underlying theme that Sync works sometimes and other times not at all. Since this is a paid feature and also fairly essential functionality for a lot of us, I feel it should be a priority to at least get it to a functional state.

My use case: I have a music library of about 6,000 items taking up about 88GB that I want to sync in Original quality. I have both a phone and tablet with ample room to store this information. I don't want to use my data plan to stream lossless content all the time, nor do I want to actively manage what I'm syncing every day. I'm looking for a consistent media experience across all of my devices, simply mirroring one another.

Currently: Plex will sync the first 20GB of items begrudgingly; I do need to restart both PMS and the App multiple times. After that it keeps ticking down the amount of files remaining without transferring a single one. All files are compatible with my devices. PMS and the Android App are fully up to date. There are no communication or permissions issues in my network.

Expected Use: Plex should have no issues syncing as many items as you have space for.

I don't mean to be harsh, and I've used Plex for years and really enjoyed it. However, the idea of syncing content between devices is older than iTunes and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be functional in Plex regardless of use case. As a company Plex has been really good about addressing functionality issues, at least in my case, so I have no doubt this will be addressed. It's just a little surprising that it hasn't been yet.

Answers

• epgulbrandsenepgulbrandsen Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Commenting to be notified about updates. I've resorted to syncing my audio by artist, instead of the entire library, and that allows me to get the content on my device. My issue, however, is that even though the content is on my device, the files get "lost" according to my "local and synced content" section, even though when I switch to my server, I see the audio files with the "download" arrow to signify that the content is also local. I can start playing the files, then turn off all radios, and the music keeps playing, further signifying that the music is local.

• mcouvillmcouvill Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've given up on Sync working. Been a long time Plex user and supporter (one of the original life time guys back when it was really cheap) and sync has seldom, if ever, worked consistently enough to be useful. I am now faced with the ever so not helpful message of "There was an error processing this file." which tells me nothing about why it isn't working. For functionality that is essentially file copying not to work after so long is just pathetic.

• Tbonesteak4dinnerTbonesteak4dinner Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mcouvill said:
    I've given up on Sync working. Been a long time Plex user and supporter (one of the original life time guys back when it was really cheap) and sync has seldom, if ever, worked consistently enough to be useful. I am now faced with the ever so not helpful message of "There was an error processing this file." which tells me nothing about why it isn't working. For functionality that is essentially file copying not to work after so long is just pathetic.

I don't know if this will help in your case, but when faced with a similar issue I needed to go into the server logs and find out why the files were erroring out. For me, I needed to add a couple of missing direct play profiles to the Android.xml and otherwise convert files that were incompatible natively with my device. Each android device has different supported audio/video formats, but the biggest thing to note here is that the standard supported Android audio/video formats are not all included in the Plex Android.xml and will need to be added manually. If your device is fancy and includes extended support for other non-standard audio/video formats, those will be missing for sure.

With all of that said, even when correcting all of my errors, Sync is still not functional and loses track of where it is in the transfer. So it may not even be worth it to correct these things right now unless you use very small playlists. :/

• mrmeesmrmees Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sync has always been trash, made exponentially worse by the lack of information it provides. I think it honestly needs a rework from the ground up (maybe including the ability to sync between servers!). Whatever they're using now is incredibly unreliable.

• NaakiNaaki Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am really sorry that I didn't know sync doesn't work before I paid for a subscription...

• oztikoztik Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Long time plex user and lifetime plex pass holder. Really disappointed that they have essentially abandoned sync functionality and all inquiries go unanswered.

• Tbonesteak4dinnerTbonesteak4dinner Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just a little bump. I'd like to keep this as visible as possible until we have a solution or a game plan of some kind.

• jstintonjstinton Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the update. It seems there has been no “official” response or acknowledgement from Plex for the sync problem or has there been?

• SORANYSORANY Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

for serious, fix this ****.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 186Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sync never ever, since 2015 (!!!), worked reliably for me. It's just another half-baked feature waiting to be completed.

Plex your conduct towards us customers is unbearable!!!

I've evaluated and setup Emby and am currently in the process of fully moving to it. I can only encourage all users who are conscious of their privacy to do the same.