If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Steps Im doing to keep my stuff private - is this OK?

TelluryeTellurye Posts: 1Members

Hey, Folks!

First post, so lots of areas greyed out for me, so sorry if this isnt the proper location - one of the few it would let me post in.

I searched and got tons of documents on Plex talking to the internet and none apply to me, as Im not sharing, dont have a plex pass, Im not using Linux, I dont need VPN as I just said...etc. I just have the free version that I want to only stream on LOCAL network only.

All I want to know is how to keep my stuff private. Let me explain what Im doing:

1. I launch Plex on Windows, make sure its updated, then update libraries, etc.

2. I take the Plex Windows server OFF the internet - I simply keep it on the LAN - so it no longer connects to Plex.tv, or anywhere on the internet. That entire machine is now off the internet, but still reachable on the LAN.

3. I launch my Plex app on my PS4 (which IS on the internet), and I go to the settings and under "manual server", I enter the IP and port number in the fields for my Plex media server.

4. Im then able to watch / play content like a charm.

Is that a good way to make sure that when I stream, it never leaves my machine? Reason I ask is the Plex App on my PS4, next to my name when I click it, it lists my server, but says "Remote". Why? Is it somehow going back out to Plex.tv?

Goal is to hide it from my ISP. I got a warning from my ISP which is BS because everything I own I have PAID FOR. I just like putting stuff on my Plex because its a much nicer format than Windows media server, but my ISP saw a movie I BOUGHT and thought I was sharing it (wtf?)

I want to make sure my ISP doesnt see what Im watching because it is flagging false positives. If the above steps I did, you guys say are correct, then the only thing I can think of, is when I brought my Plex server online to update it and the libraries, it saw my movie, and thought it was pirated and being shared. You think that's what happened?

Sorry for my rant, just getting ticked off that my ISP is threatening me re: movies which I LEGALLY bought and paid for, I just have them on my Plex.

Any help, I will owe you guys big time.

Regards,

Tellurye

Tagged:

Answers

• KraevinKraevin Posts: 1,148Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Tellurye said:
    Hey, Folks!

First post, so lots of areas greyed out for me, so sorry if this isnt the proper location - one of the few it would let me post in.

I searched and got tons of documents on Plex talking to the internet and none apply to me, as Im not sharing, dont have a plex pass, Im not using Linux, I dont need VPN as I just said...etc. I just have the free version that I want to only stream on LOCAL network only.

All I want to know is how to keep my stuff private. Let me explain what Im doing:

1. I launch Plex on Windows, make sure its updated, then update libraries, etc.

2. I take the Plex Windows server OFF the internet - I simply keep it on the LAN - so it no longer connects to Plex.tv, or anywhere on the internet. That entire machine is now off the internet, but still reachable on the LAN.

3. I launch my Plex app on my PS4 (which IS on the internet), and I go to the settings and under "manual server", I enter the IP and port number in the fields for my Plex media server.

4. Im then able to watch / play content like a charm.

Is that a good way to make sure that when I stream, it never leaves my machine? Reason I ask is the Plex App on my PS4, next to my name when I click it, it lists my server, but says "Remote". Why? Is it somehow going back out to Plex.tv?

Goal is to hide it from my ISP. I got a warning from my ISP which is BS because everything I own I have PAID FOR. I just like putting stuff on my Plex because its a much nicer format than Windows media server, but my ISP saw a movie I BOUGHT and thought I was sharing it (wtf?)

I want to make sure my ISP doesnt see what Im watching because it is flagging false positives. If the above steps I did, you guys say are correct, then the only thing I can think of, is when I brought my Plex server online to update it and the libraries, it saw my movie, and thought it was pirated and being shared. You think that's what happened?

Sorry for my rant, just getting ticked off that my ISP is threatening me re: movies which I LEGALLY bought and paid for, I just have them on my Plex.

Any help, I will owe you guys big time.

Regards,

Tellurye

That's not how it works...

Your ISP is not going to care what you watch on Plex or your PS4. In your case what happened is you, or someone on your IP, was sharing illegal media. More likely from torrenting. Your IP was flagged and a letter sent to your ISP with a warning. From there your ISP sent you a warning about sharing media. Millions of people around the world, use Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, iTunes and tons of other sources that contain legal media and no issues from their ISP's.