If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Urgent help. No play back on any devices.

mrplex9000mrplex9000 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello there,
I'm hoping to get some expert help. For years plex media server has been running beautifully on my HP proliant n40l server via openmediavault. I have just made the mistake of updating the plex plugin and I seem to have corrupted the install. I have tried everything to fix it to no avail. Instead of reinstalling openmediavault and plex from scratch I have gone down the docker route and installed linuxserver plex container.
The install has been successful, I have managed run the docker container, log into plexmediaserver and to rescan my libraries.
However, I simply cannot play back any videos on any of my devices, including via a web browser on the network, iphone, ipad and my raspberry pi.

On my iphone and web browsers there is an error
"playback was terminated by the server, conversion failed, the transcoder crashed". I can't understand this error as I normally never transcode and run my movies via direct play or stream.

If there is a log file I should add please let me know.
Many thanks

George

Best Answer

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 621Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer
    Nov 14, 2017 23:17:32.232 [0x7f2e97ff9700] ERROR - [Transcoder] Unknown decoder 'h264'

This is the key line for why the transcoder is crashing. You need to make sure that the /config tree (all subdirs) is writable by the abc user within the container. This may require doing a chown on the files or you (I believe) you can change the UID of the user within the container. See the linuxserver's documentation on this since this is not our official container.

Additionally, the /config dir must be located on a filesystem that allows execution of binaries. This has hit a few people and could be responsible for the above line. The codecs are stored within /config and if the filesystem doesn't allow execution, the transcoder cannot load the codec.

BTW, it's transcoding because the client requested it. I see that it decided on a stream copy of the video but a transcode of the audio so perhaps the client cannot play the audio stream in this file.

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,663Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

ZIPped Log files please? (Settings - Server - Help - Download Logs)

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• mrplex9000mrplex9000 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Here are the logs.
    Many thanks

Further to this I took another look at my log with a clearer head.
    There is an message:
    ERROR - Transcoder: Error cleaning old transcode sessions: boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: No such file or directory: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sessions"

This gave me a clue. I had my docker config on the same share as my media files (this was fine with the openmediavault plugin but not with docker).
    I have changed the config folder to another location (my home folder) on my nas.
    All seems to be working for now but I would appreciate further comment if possible.

Cheers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,663Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

Are you running this in Docker on OMV ?

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

@ChuckPA said:
    Are you running this in Docker on OMV ?

Yes.

Thanks. I'll relocate this thread to the Docker forum. Docker is not in my skill set.

Useful links

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 621Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Accepted Answer
    Nov 14, 2017 23:17:32.232 [0x7f2e97ff9700] ERROR - [Transcoder] Unknown decoder 'h264'

This is the key line for why the transcoder is crashing. You need to make sure that the /config tree (all subdirs) is writable by the abc user within the container. This may require doing a chown on the files or you (I believe) you can change the UID of the user within the container. See the linuxserver's documentation on this since this is not our official container.

Additionally, the /config dir must be located on a filesystem that allows execution of binaries. This has hit a few people and could be responsible for the above line. The codecs are stored within /config and if the filesystem doesn't allow execution, the transcoder cannot load the codec.

BTW, it's transcoding because the client requested it. I see that it decided on a stream copy of the video but a transcode of the audio so perhaps the client cannot play the audio stream in this file.

@gbooker02 said:

Thank you for the explanation. All working !! :)