If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Amazon Echo does not play music tracks to end

Answers

• stetherzstetherz Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass

Going to add a "me too". Am happy to provide logs if it will help.

• ice_burg333@yahoo.comice_burg333@yahoo.com Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Playback on the echo now seems to work for some songs but others are still giving me the error that it couldn't reach the skill.

I'm tracking anything I find in this thread

• Geoff555Geoff555 Posts: 94Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@gtph I don't have any Dream Theater but it played an afternoon worth of Yes who have some pretty long tracks and it played without a fault. Until today it wouldn't finish even short tracks.

I am still puzzled as to why it has suddenly started working.

• gtphgtph Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Just tried again today and still doesn't work. Maybe we should all report the Plex Skill to Amazon as faulty. Probably they will listen to them.

Plex Server 1.10.1.4602
    Echo Plus 595530520
    Echo Dot 597464620

• mikehadfieldmikehadfield Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I followed the instructions from dseanjj and now my Echo is playing music from my plex server ok. But I have the track stopping before the end problem that many are reporting.

edited December 2017

@mikehadfield said:
    I followed the instructions from dseanjj and now my Echo is playing music from my plex server ok. But I have the track stopping before the end problem that many are reporting.

Try leaving your Plex media server and Echo on overnight. For some reason the skill is known to work in the morning. Worth a try.

Have spent the day playing various things. My library contains both mp3 and flac files. It is only the flag files getting cut off. I notice that the mp3 files are showing up as "direct play" in the now playing page on the plex server, but the flac ones are showing as "transcoding flac to mp3".

So, it looks like whatever is causing the problem is related to the plex server transcoding.

• coldfire84coldfire84 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@mikehadfield said:
    Have spent the day playing various things. My library contains both mp3 and flac files. It is only the flag files getting cut off. I notice that the mp3 files are showing up as "direct play" in the now playing page on the plex server, but the flac ones are showing as "transcoding flac to mp3".

So, it looks like whatever is causing the problem is related to the plex server transcoding.

I'd just come to a similar conclusion through testing this evening, my older content, which is predominately MP3 files, plays right through, the more recent content I have is FLAC and will not play through.

@Geoff555 said:
    Try leaving your Plex media server and Echo on overnight. For some reason the skill is known to work in the morning. Worth a try.

@mikehadfield said:

I took both advices and I was able to listen a 24 minutes song (MP3) completely. I'll continue testing in the following days but the result is promising:

1. I optimized my database, which is in theory what Plex does after midnight
    2. I selected make my CPU to suffer as transcoder quality

Did some more testing this morning. I have 2 Echo's. The original version 1 (tall unit) and the new version 2 (half the height, cloth surround).

The original Echo played a whole album of flac files through from start to finish, no stopping.
    The new version 2 paused on every track of the same flac album.

Random flac tracks did the same. The original echo played them through ok, the new echo stopped playback.

Both echo's played an album of mp3 files from start to finish fine.

So I am now sure it's a plex server issue when converting flac to mp3 to stream to the newer Echo devices.

Another thing I have just noticed that may help plex getting to the bottom of this....

I have just played a whole flac track from start to finish - from the same album that failed on earlier tests. The difference this time was that at the same time I had someone else connected to my plex server and they were playing something. So, could it be the server going to sleep when nothing else is playing. But it didn't continue and start playing the next track.

I have noticed watching the now playing screen on the plex server that when the echo is playing something, the item disappears from the now playing screen well before the end of the track.

• romandesignromandesign Posts: 9Members ✭✭

Music cuts off for me when transcoding, but works great when I used car version of my library, which is MP3 only, no FLAC or other lossless codecs. No it doesn't cut off.

• romandesignromandesign Posts: 9Members ✭✭

It works fine for me when my whole library is in MP3 - no FLAC or other transcoding from lossless.

@gtph said:

@Geoff555 said:

@mikehadfield said:

I took both advices and I was able to listen a 24 minutes song (MP3) completely. I'll continue testing in the following days but the result is promising:

1. I optimized my database, which is in theory what Plex does after midnight
    2. I selected make my CPU to suffer as transcoder quality

I have more than a week testing and it's being working completely fine. I have tried with very long songs, double albums and they have all being reproduced from start to finish. All MP3s, by the way.

• dyer64225@gmail.comdyer64225@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

I have an Amazon Echo, but when playing a music Amazon Echo doesn't play a track.Then I solved the problems by doing this steps.First of all open the Alexa app. Tap the menu button at the top left.In this option, you can see music & videos option.select this option, when you can select the icon you see the music unlimited option. In this option select the playlist icon. Under this option, you can see four icons. Mood & activities,genres,decade and artists. Then select a category. It should start to play on your device. You can then use voice commands to play, pause and so on with the help of Alexa.For more info, you can visit this link.https://echoalexasupport.com/echo-setup-troubleshoot/

@dyer64225@gmail.com said:
    I have an Amazon Echo, but when playing a music Amazon Echo doesn't play a track.Then I solved the problems by doing this steps.First of all open the Alexa app. Tap the menu button at the top left.In this option, you can see music & videos option.select this option, when you can select the icon you see the music unlimited option. In this option select the playlist icon. Under this option, you can see four icons. Mood & activities,genres,decade and artists. Then select a category. It should start to play on your device. You can then use voice commands to play, pause and so on with the help of Alexa.For more info, you can visit this link.https://echoalexasupport.com/echo-setup-troubleshoot/

I think you are referring to Amazon's Music Unlimited service. The discussion under debate here is in reference to the Plex Skill which enables you to play your own music from your plex server through the Echo's own speaker.

edited January 16

I think I have made progress in getting to the bottom of this issue.

I have recently installed Plexpy to monitor my plex use.

This has uncovered the issue. All my music is mp3 and so transcoding should not be the issue. However, through Plexpy I have noticed that certain mp3 tracks use Direct Play whilst others use Direct Stream.

All the tracks that fail to play to the end are Direct Stream! Conversely all the Direct Play mp3s play without a problem.

So the question is why are some mp3's using Direct Play and others using Direct Stream?

Update - I have tried various batch converters to try and convert my mp3's to mp3's that Alexa will Direct Play. I was looking at batch converters as the issue tends to be with the whole album rather than individual tracks within an album. To date I have only found one that does it (and I have no idea what the "it" is!). That converter is Audacity.

I have no idea what the issue is with the offending mp3's but having converted them with Audacity they play without issue!

edited January 18

The Audacity solution detailed above is working fine. It also keeps the tracks Tags intact.

I think the issue could possibly be with certain mp3's having a DC Offset as this is something that it removes when it recodes to the mp3 again.

If this is the issue is it an issue with the Echo not playing mp3s with a DC Offset or is it something the Plex Skill can overcome?

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex Voice Control Posts: 789Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We shipped an update yesterday that should address this for most people. I'd be interested in a PMS log dump if it keeps happening while music is transcoding.

Projects I currently develop or maintain

Classic Forum for Plex - A forum skin that aims to replicate the classic forum experience as best as possible without taking away some of the better things about the new forum.

PlexWink - A Plex Channel that monitors Plex and controls your smart lights based on playback.

UASViewer - A Plex Channel for the Unsupported App Store that lets you browse channels right from Plex.

• mbanks850mbanks850 Posts: 4Members ✭✭
    edited January 31

@vanstinator said:
    We shipped an update yesterday that should address this for most people. I'd be interested in a PMS log dump if it keeps happening while music is transcoding.

Is this an update for the skill in Alexa, or for the server that runs on Windows?

This discussion has been closed.