If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Say's playing artist but instead closes and doesn't play

DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 114Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 2017 in Voice Control (Alexa)

I have the Amazon Echo Dot and was able successfully link it to my Plex server via the skill. It is able to detect my server as well as it's titles. When I tell it to play music on Chrome it will play it on my PC with no issue. But when I ask it to play an artist on the Echo Dot it says it is playing it and then proceeds to do nothing, then I have to reopen Plex and try again.

PMS:Version 1.9.7.4460

I also have Enable local network discovery (GDM) enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• DafreakzoDafreakzo Posts: 114Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Tried again today and same results. Plex Team, any word on this for a paying customer?

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 916Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

Some changes were made early last week that enabled this new ability to playback on the dot speakers as opposed to a client like chrome, so brand new feature.

I use this functionality myself which does work.

How are you asking it to play on the dot?
    When did you first enable this skill?
    Did this ever work for you?
    Do other skills like iHeartRadio or Amazon music work on your dot for music playback on the dot locally?

edited November 2017

Thanks so much for the assist!

How are you asking it to play on the dot? "Alexa open Plex" "Play Black Sabbath". She then proceeds to say that she is going to play it, then does nothing

When did you first enable this skill? Either 10/23 or 10/24

Did this ever work for you? The Plex skill activates and Alexa say's what she is supposed to say, but she never plays the music. So I guess not.

Do other skills like iHeartRadio or Amazon music work on your dot for music playback on the dot locally? Amazon Music works fine and is the only music I have tried on the device besides Plex.

Another important note, I received an email from Amazon about this:

"I'm sorry for the issue you are facing in playing music on your Alexa Device.

Please do not worry there is nothing wrong with the device.

I regret to inform you that we are receiving lots of customers having the same query and the basic troubleshooting is not working for this issue. Hence, we have informed it to our technical team. Our technical team is aware of this issue and working on a fix.

However, I've also reported your concern to our technical team, and they're working on taking care of it. Errors like this are usually corrected shortly after they're reported.

​I would kindly request you to please wait a little longer so that it will help us to complete our research, there are times that it may take us a little longer as it is in this case. I truly apologize for this delay.

​Situations such as this are rare, and our goal is to help resolve any problems you encounter as quickly as possible. Please try to use Alexa app settings later."

So first you don't need to say "open Plex" you can but that takes forever to listen to instructions.

You can simply say, "Alexa, ask Plex to play black Sabbath" which should yield the same result but much less effort and patience on your end.

Second can you try that and see, once she says she is playing back if it is silent still can you say "Alexa next" and see what her response is and if she play the next track?

Last if you can post your log files that might provide additional information.

• ShayCShayC Posts: 2Members

Same issue here. Everything seems to work except no sound. My Alexa app shows the artist playing on Plex.
    Is there a specific log file I can check for errors?

• AceThatThingAceThatThing Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here too. When you say "Alexa next" she says "What do you want to play".

edited November 2017

@nokdim here is a link to a video of me performing what you suggested. - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dUjBKBgY8rojPnVRMCK2W3w4aenxPtgP

I also attached the logs I downloaded. Please note, Black Sabbath is currently the only music I have in my Plex music library, that is why I said Black Sabbath again. Plex has no problem detecting Black Sabbath in the library and playing it on any other device. Would you like me to add an additional artist and try?

Yeah I see the API hit for the search when you asked for black sabbath making it to your Plex Server in the logs:

Let me see if I can ring some bells for this.

@nokdim said:
    Yeah I see the API hit for the search when you asked for black sabbath making it to your Plex Server in the logs:

Let me see if I can ring some bells for this.

Thanks a bunch!

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex Voice Control Posts: 707Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can I get one of you to provide a sample file that's failing and PMS logs: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

I've got a consistent error message from AVS for all of these cases but I need example files and PMS logs to get a handle on it. Keep in mind it's Thanksgiving week in the states. Availability is limited

Projects I currently develop or maintain

Classic Forum for Plex - A forum skin that aims to replicate the classic forum experience as best as possible without taking away some of the better things about the new forum.

PlexWink - A Plex Channel that monitors Plex and controls your smart lights based on playback.

UASViewer - A Plex Channel for the Unsupported App Store that lets you browse channels right from Plex.

• ShayCShayC Posts: 2Members

Follow up on this for me.
    I am sure that my remote access was working when I checked at the weekend, however, today it was marked as not accessible outside my network.
    This wasn't an oversight, Alexa only reported this as an issue today.
    Anyway, I ended up doing a port forwarding and it's working now.
    Absolutely delighted to have it working.
    So others having the same issue, maybe try a port forward and see if that helps.

• Virgil74Virgil74 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

@vanstinator said:
    Can I get one of you to provide a sample file that's failing and PMS logs: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

I've got a consistent error message from AVS for all of these cases but I need example files and PMS logs to get a handle on it. Keep in mind it's Thanksgiving week in the states. Availability is limited

I'm having the exact same problem that Dafreakzo is having.

There are a LOT of files in the .zip from that guide. Which one do you need? I'd like to get this working and I'll upload anything from that zip for you.

(I found my IP pretty quickly in that zip, I'm not going to post the zip here.)

Other info: I'm behind an intentional double NAT and I had to do a port forward on both routers to get a green dot indicating that "enable remote access" is activated. Also, my music files are on a NAS device mapped to the machine that the Plex server is running on.

It looks like the Alexa skill is only for controlling playback devices like a browser or smart TV or whatever in lieu of a remote control. That's an OK feature, but I really want to stream my music and playlists from my NAS to play on whatever Alexa device I'm talking to.

@vanstinator said:

Was anyone able to provide this for you? I have long since deleted the files that I was using.

• vanstinatorvanstinator Plex Voice Control Posts: 707Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Dafreakzo not yet. your last post didn't contain any logs either. if you're able to repro again and PM me the zip that would be helpful. Still trying to repro on my end.

Projects I currently develop or maintain

Classic Forum for Plex - A forum skin that aims to replicate the classic forum experience as best as possible without taking away some of the better things about the new forum.

PlexWink - A Plex Channel that monitors Plex and controls your smart lights based on playback.

UASViewer - A Plex Channel for the Unsupported App Store that lets you browse channels right from Plex.

Sorry, I guess I lost track on where we were in troubleshooting this problem, and forgot that that feature was recently added.

Logs sent to vanstinator.

• klishbklishb Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@vastinator Same problem for me. I just PM'd you the logs

edited December 2017

@vanstinator said:
    @Dafreakzo not yet. your last post didn't contain any logs either. if you're able to repro again and PM me the zip that would be helpful. Still trying to repro on my end.

Unfortunately I no longer have the mp3 that I used in the logs that I provided in the zip that I posted above. But those logs do include the information in regards to when this took place. I hope this is helpful!

• aml1973aml1973 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is also the case for me, with my entire music collection: They play fine on Roku, my phone, my tablet and my Samsung Smart TV. On my Echo plus and Dots, however, Alexa either says "sure thing, boss" (paraphrasing) and then no music is heard, or she simply hangs and says "sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Plex skill right now".

• DudiDudi Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I have the same problem. I ask alexa to play the music, and it says she's playing it. I hear nothing in my device.
    Looking in the server's Now Playing status it even states that it is playing the music in Alexa. I have only one Alexa device (Eufy Genie), so I'm guessing it's not playing somewhere else...
    Any resolution on this?