If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unsure if I am able to transcode at all with this NAS and if not how can I make things work.

nbcoulingnbcouling Posts: 3Members

I have a seagate NAS setup on a home network, streaming wirelessly to Amazon Fire TV stick. It appears that the Seagate is unlikely to be able to do any transcoding, maybe none at all, I don't really know how to tell. So I am having the 'not powerful enough' error. Is there something in particular causing this that I can work around? I can't find a pattern to the files that give this error and the files that don't. Also, I have trouble with subtitles. Are subtitles something that is always going to require transcoding? Is there a route that will work best? My head is spinning.

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,480Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Good place to start -
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201373823-NAS-Devices-and-Limitations
    It also links to a NAS compatibility list that shows what some capabilities of some NAS models and chipsets of NAS models can do (which, overall, isn't much)

If some of the stuff you watch works, but others don't, then the working content is able to be direct played.
    I'm not sure if the Fire TV stick understands subtitles, but, I believe many devices require the subs to be transcoded into the video stream.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • nbcoulingnbcouling Posts: 3Members

So I think maybe 1080p may be too much. So far I'm having mostly ok luck with 720p and even subtitles. I set preferences to always enable instead of choosing the option during playback. But then I ran into another problem with a 720 that won't play. it doesn't have any different file type or codec or bitrate that hasn't worked for other files.

I found this about the NAS I have, 'Transcoding is not supported on ARMv7 only remuxing'. So I am attempting to learn what that means.

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,480Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2017

@nbcouling
    Though the article is meant for a totally different subject, it describes transcode vs remux quite well.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201097958-Remuxing-Files-to-MKV

Remuxing, in our context, refers to the process of changing the "container" format used for a given file. For example from MP4 to MKV or from AVI to MKV. It also allows adding or removing of content streams as needed. Remuxing differs from Transcoding in that remuxing a file simply repackages the existing streams while transcoding actually creates new ones from a source.

Video files are containers, that are made of many parts, video streams (VC9,VC8, h.264, h.265), various audio streams (ac3, aac, aac-lc, and even all those vary by channels available), and image/text streams (chapters/subtitles).
    If your Fire Stick can't play a certain container, but the parts inside the container can direct play, then it must be remuxed.
    If one of the parts inside the container can't be direct played, it must be trancoded.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • nbcoulingnbcouling Posts: 3Members

Thank you for responses and help. I'm afraid this is all over my head. I'm really struggling to get things to work and now Plex isn't even recognizing my personal cloud server so I can't even get to the files with it.