If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Rewinding or Fastforwarding on Roku Ultra makes Plex server unresponsive, forcing restart

nathanexplosionnathanexplosion Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 2017 in Roku

Watching a movie, tried to rewind or ffwd a bit and it stopped it 13% ... no way to get it to start playing again, even trying other movies on other clients (web). The Plex server is unresponsive and requires a restart. Was able to replicate.

Edit: Updated the Discussion Title to reflect that this is on a Roku Ultra, not Premiere.

Answers

• lifeaftelifeafte Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can confirm the same problem, ROKU player tried to rewind and it stops at 13% Had to restart the server (sever not found error when trying to start from browser). Restarted the computer, exact same problem occurred on first rewind.

• nathanexplosionnathanexplosion Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Updating this as I had some time this evening to replicate this issue and get the logs for it. Attached zip is the Plex server logs and the .txt file is the log from the Roku (generated using this app: https://plexinc.github.io/roku-launcher/). At approximately 20:43 into the Roku logs is where the issue occurred. (Note that I also enabled remote logging in the Roku app).

What I did here was to restart the Plex application on my Plex server (as it had become non-response due to this very issue), once it restarted, I started up the Plex Roku app (this is on a Roku Ultra, not a Premiere, as the title suggests) ... so I started the Plex Roku app using the roku-launcher app (https://plexinc.github.io/roku-launcher/) then I navigated to a movie and started playing it ... I gave it a minute or so and then tried to fast-forward ... and that is where this error will occur: The fast-forwarding procedure fails as the % counter stops at 13 and will go no further. If you wait long enough, the Plex Roku app will give you an error to check your server.

Once this error has occurred, the Plex server will not respond to any other client request to play a file and instead requires that it be restarted.

Please let me know if you need anything else for this.

Anyone able to give those logs a look?

• Drake718Drake718 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I 've seen the same thing off and on with my Roku Ultra. Might have happened also with some of my older Roku's. I have an Ultra, a 4 and (2) 3's.

PMS1: Windows 10 Pro | 16GB RAM | i7-3770K | HD HomeRun Prime (w/cablecard) & Hauppauge PCIe WinTV-quadHD tuner | Plex Media Server | 5 TB storage (also running Next PVR on the same machine with PCIe Hauppauge 2255 WinTV-HVR Dual Tuner with multicast/multiplexing).
    PMS2: nVidia Shield Pro | HD HomeRun Prime (w/cablecard) | Plex Media Server | 500 GB Storage (more to come)
    Java/C++ Application Developer/IT Manager

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,932Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@nathanexplosion the Roku logs indicate the server is unresponsive, so we'll really need to investigate the PMS logs. The logs included are a bit sparse so we'll need to see another set of them after the error is replicated. Can you follow the steps outlined here to provide the server logs? https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server

Thanks for the assistance. It is greatly appreciated. Updated server logs are attached .... the error occurred @ ~9:15 -- i.e., tried to fast forward and the counter stuck at 13% and eventually timed out (with a "Video Unavailable We're unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to this video." error). No other client can now use Plex as the process on the server must be restarted.

@ljunkie said:
    @nathanexplosion the Roku logs indicate the server is unresponsive, so we'll really need to investigate the PMS logs. The logs included are a bit sparse so we'll need to see another set of them after the error is replicated. Can you follow the steps outlined here to provide the server logs? https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server

Update on this issue ...

In addition to the server logs posted in the comment above, I spent some time this afternoon setting up a new Plex server on a completely separate system -- fresh/new install -- and this issue is present on this new system as well. Playing a movie on a Roku Ultra, let the movie play for a bit and then when attempting to fast-forward, the counter will get stuck at 13% and then the server becomes unresponsive to any client and requires the Plex server application be restarted. Logs are attached from the new Plex server from when the issue was replicated -- the issue occurred at around the 23:03:24.120 timestamp in the first plex server log and required that the server application be restarted.

Bump. Anyone care to give the logs I have posted above a look? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

@ljunkie said:

ljunkie -- I have posted additional server logs here -- can you give these a look?

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,932Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@nathanexplosion thanks for the logs. I will pass these on to the server team to investigate and let you know.

Thanks ljunkie. I do greatly appreciate it.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,884Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just for a point of info on this topic:
    I have an Ultra and I have two Plex servers, one of my Shield Pro and another on a computer. And FF or RW when using either server causes no problems. In fact my Ultra causes no problems and it is the device I use most. I have never had a spontaneous reboot when using my Ultra on either server.

I am using my Ultra for Plex about 10 hours a day.

From that I think that the problem must be something specific to the environment of the OP.

Some details about my setup:
    My entire system is wired.
    I use no remote access and I have secure connections disabled. (I do not neet them at all)
    Most of my media is in a format the direct plays but I do have some that requires transcoding and neither format causes any problems no matter what functions are used.
    My media is on a files server that is separate from my Plex server.

Basically my setup is about as simple as possible for what I do and my Plex server has no other function. I wonder if the problem is due to the Plex server having other functions and interactions are the actual cause.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

Hi Elijah, thanks for giving eyes to this. Note that both of the servers mentioned here -- both our primary Plex server mentioned at the start of this thread and the 2nd Plex server I assembled last weekend for testing this issue, both are dedicated to Plex and both are pretty beefy systems (3770 i7's, 8GB RAM, etc.) and they and the Roku were/are wired to the same Gb network. So they should be capable of handling this task.

• reubendevriesreubendevries Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can confirm this is happening, what i've done to mitigate the issue is to restart the plexmediaservice instead of a full restart. Is everyone on this thread using a Linux box, have we confirmed if it's Linux only I'm using a CENTOS 7 box as my media server.

@reubendevries said:
    I can confirm this is happening, what i've done to mitigate the issue is to restart the plexmediaservice instead of a full restart. Is everyone on this thread using a Linux box, have we confirmed if it's Linux only I'm using a CENTOS 7 box as my media server.

No. I am using Windows and Shield TV and on neither of those do I see any problem with FF or RW.

That does not say that the problem is related to Linux or to a given flavor(s) of Linux, all it really says is that there are two servers using two different operating systems that are not Linux and do not show the reported problem. It is not either exclusive or definitive but rather just two data points that might help find a lead to the root cause.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

@reubendevries said:

I am the OP on this topic and of the 2 Plex servers I have used to reproduce this issue, both were/are Windows boxes (a Windows 7 (possibly 8?) box and a Windows 10 box).

• jlsxjlsx Posts: 5Members ✭✭

haha, damn. i just bought a 4k roku stick last night. it direct plays ~60mbps 4k hdr hevc files ezpz. but if i rewind or fast forward it will freeze up at 13% and force a restart on the plex server. running PMS on windows 10, wired to router, then the roku player is wireless.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@reubendevries said:

No. I am using Windows and Shield TV and on neither of those do I see any problem with FF or RW.

That does not say that the problem is related to Linux or to a given flavor(s) of Linux, all it really says is that there are two servers using two different operating systems that are not Linux and do not show the reported problem. It is not either exclusive or definitive but rather just two data points that might help find a lead to the root cause.

are you saying you have a shield TV in addition to a roku stick? just making sure. because i was going to return the roku stick and buy a shield TV if the shield tv has no issues with ff/rw

@jlsx said:
    haha, damn. i just bought a 4k roku stick last night. it direct plays ~60mbps 4k hdr hevc files ezpz. but if i rewind or fast forward it will freeze up at 13% and force a restart on the plex server. running PMS on windows 10, wired to router, then the roku player is wireless.

@Elijah_Baley said:

@reubendevries said:

are you saying you have a shield TV in addition to a roku stick? just making sure. because i was going to return the roku stick and buy a shield TV if the shield tv has no issues with ff/rw

I do NOT have a Roku stick. I avoid any wireless only device for streaming as I consider them unreliable. I have a Roku Ultra which is what this thread is about.

I do have a Shield pro but I use it primarily as a server. However, when I use the Shield as a client it has no real issues. I very much prefer the user interface on the Roku.

One thing: If you have any plans to use the Shield as a server for Plex get the Pro model because the standard model just cannot hack it and Plex cannot, without rooting and otherwise modifying the Shield, use adopted storage and it needs that extra memory to work reliably as a server.

• jlsxjlsx Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@Elijah_Baley said:

@jlsx said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@reubendevries said:

I do NOT have a Roku stick. I avoid any wireless only device for streaming as I consider them unreliable. I have a Roku Ultra which is what this thread is about.

I do have a Shield pro but I use it primarily as a server. However, when I use the Shield as a client it has no real issues. I very much prefer the user interface on the Roku.

One thing: If you have any plans to use the Shield as a server for Plex get the Pro model because the standard model just cannot hack it and Plex cannot, without rooting and otherwise modifying the Shield, use adopted storage and it needs that extra memory to work reliably as a server.

theres a new roku stick, that supports 4k hdr, with a very upgraded antenna to support it...which fixed all of the older models wifi issues. i have no issues with it other than rewinding.

but i do not have any plans to use a shield as a server, since i have a decently beefy desktop and all of my hdds in there(no need for a dedicated nas, yet)

I just want a plex client that can do 4k hdr 60 mbps hevc files without transcoding, and also be capable of rewinding and fast forwarding.. the roku can only do one of those. i have a shield on the way

• mab9mab9 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

I encountered this same problem today. Very frustrating...

Problem Description:
    This problem appears consistently with certain video files. If the Roku user rewinds or fast-forwards one of these videos, the Roku app will get stuck at that dreaded 13%. After a couple minutes, it times out with the "Video Unavailable" message. After this occurs, no clients are able to access the Plex server, and the Plex web interface is non-responsive. It appears that the only way to revive it is to restart the Plex server.

Observations:
    - This problem appears to be limited to Roku clients. I was unable to replicate the problem using the Web Player, iPhone app, or Apple TV app. All these clients were able to rewind/fast-forward the same video without issue.
    - This problem seems to only occur with videos that have some element that is being transcoded. The problematic video made use of audio transcoding when being played back on the Roku (Video: Direct Stream, Audio: Transcoding EAC3 to AAC). I was unable to replicate the problem with video files where both audio and video are played directly by the Roku.

Client:
    4630X Roku Premiere+
    8.0.1 build 4018-29
    Roku app version 5.0.7

Server:
    Version 1.10.1.4602
    Official Plex docker image (plexinc/pms-docker)
    Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    i5-4590S / 16GB RAM

Server & client are on the same local, wired network.

I have attached a copy of the Plex Media Server and Roku app logs as the problem occurs. The problem occurs at approximately 17:27:20. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide or other debugging steps I can try. This issue is very frustrating and I would like to help resolve it as soon as possible.