If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Would a NAS work okay as an external hard drive?

mushtangmushtang Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I have a Seagate personal cloud NAS and it works well for now. I'm avoiding most transcoding issues by only using .MP4 files, and going with 720p instead of 1080p.

Some movies just will not play in the same format as others will and I don't have a good understanding yet of what the problem is.

I might be replacing my laptop soon and thought that I could use the i7 core to do any work I need which is almost certainly powerful enough to transcode anything I have. So if I ran Plex on my laptop instead of the app on the server, and only used the Seagate as an external HD to the laptop, like this:

TV <-(HDMI)-- Roku ... Wireless Router <-(cat5)-- laptop running Plex <-(HDMI)-- Seagate

... would that work better than running the Plex app on the Seagate?

All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and unlimited power!

I don't go joy-poppin' with bubble-gummers! My friends can handle their highs!

Best Answers

Answers

• mushtangmushtang Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Thanks. I'm not 100% sure what some of that means, but I'm happy knowing that this is possible when it comes time to replace the laptop with something else.
    It may be 6 months or so, but I'm hoping sooner because I'm tired of some movies not playing.

• mushtangmushtang Posts: 12Members ✭✭

My confusion came from the fact that I didn't fully understand how Plex can be set up as a server on two locations, both pointing to the same drive. I had a lightbulb moment as I did some more digging into these forums after your post and I think I get it now.

It also explains why after I moved all my movies off of my laptop onto the NAS I still had an option, within the Plex app, to point to my laptop as a server. I no longer had any movies on it but didn't understand why it was still showing up. But I think I understand what is happening now. Thanks!!

I'll do a few tests soon and see if movies that won't play via the Seagate Plex app will be able to play via the laptop server. If so I'll know that's the future of my setup. If not, I'll have to start saving for a movie file server that's more powerful than the Seagate.

I'd still love to know what specific thing in these files results in Plex being unable to play them in my current setup.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,470Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@mushtang said:
    My confusion came from the fact that I didn't fully understand how Plex can be set up as a server on two locations, both pointing to the same drive. I had a lightbulb moment as I did some more digging into these forums after your post and I think I get it now.

It also explains why after I moved all my movies off of my laptop onto the NAS I still had an option, within the Plex app, to point to my laptop as a server. I no longer had any movies on it but didn't understand why it was still showing up. But I think I understand what is happening now. Thanks!!

I'll do a few tests soon and see if movies that won't play via the Seagate Plex app will be able to play via the laptop server. If so I'll know that's the future of my setup. If not, I'll have to start saving for a movie file server that's more powerful than the Seagate.

I'd still love to know what specific thing in these files results in Plex being unable to play them in my current setup.

Yep format, size, audio, sub titles , codec all relate to the end streaming result.

Undoubtedly you could re-encode you current media to play perfectly on your set up.

Download a free program called Vidcoder (it uses Handbrake backend) and re encode a few of the current media that fails.

Plenty of posts here on the most /best formatting of your media.

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !