If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Which are the advantages?

natopigronatopigro Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I am going to buy the new Sonos One. I guess Sonos has an its own mediacenter with a well working app. Why shoud I prefer to stream music through plex?
Which are the advantages?

Second question: is plex compatible with the Alexa voice assistant built in? Can I ask to the Sonos One somothing like: "Alexa, play song XXX from Plex"?

Ty in advice
G.

Best Answer

Answers

• natopigronatopigro Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Thank you very much for your feedback!

What set of speakers would you buy today?
    I'm very attracted to th alexa/google assistant voice commando possibility built in the Sonos One, are there some good sound quality alternatives?

• wwwizzarrdrywwwizzarrdry Posts: 292Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@natopigro said:
    Thank you very much for your feedback!
    What set of speakers would you buy today?

I don't know, I was looking at some Martin Logan speakers back when I was debating which way to go. The ease of transferring the Sonos room to room has been wonderful though.

Update on using Plex with Sonos:
    So I thought it would be great to wake up to a Plex mix in the mornings so I set my Sonos alarm to Plex music library. Problem is, over the last 30 days, the alarm has only worked 1 - 5 times. The rest of the mornings, Sonos fails to connect to https://app.plex.tv and the Sonos Chime just rings instead.

You read that right. The Sonos Labs Plex Beta doesnt even use your local network to Play music. It has to dial home to plex.tv and hairpin back in over SonosNet. That handshake is where everying falls apart.

• natopigronatopigro Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I don't know, I was looking at some Martin Logan speakers back when I was debating which way to go. The ease of transferring the Sonos room to room has been wonderful though.

But they don't have the voice assistant, aren't they?

@natopigro said:

But they don't have the voice assistant, aren't they?

Not that I know of. Voice assistance isn't a requirement for me, but I would probably just get a Google Home speaker and work it into my system if it were.

I'm really disappointed Sonos partnered with Amazon for their new speaker. That stupid war between Google/Amazon only hurts customers and I won't support it (i.e. Amazon blocking YouTube access, removing Chromecast from the store, etc). It's all very silly, and I've used the Alexa skill with Plex before and I don't see anything exceptionally functional about it, aside from those times your hands are full of wet dough in the kitchen and you literally can't sit through 3 minutes of of a mediocre song that comes on...

Any way, have you decided on your speaker configuration? Curious what you've decided on!