If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex and Alexa: will multiroom play be supported?

Now that Alexa finally has the option to play music to groups of Alexa devices, or selectively on individual Alexa devices
eg:
Alexa play music everywhere... will play on all Alexa devices in the group everywhere
and
Alexa play music on living room... will play on the Alexa device named living room even if the command is spoken to on another Aexa device

When it comes to Plex and playing files locally stored on my media server, that functionality is not available and that's quite understandable as its brand new on Alexa itself.

Plex will only play files on the Alexa device the command is spoken to like
Alexa tell Plex to play song xyz or Alexa tell Plex playlist xyz
Those functionalities are already fantastic. A lifesaver for all Alexa users who do not want to be locked in into what Amazon allows you to do.

Scripting facilities with the Alexa app, called routines, are still very basic.

Here's what I want to do. I've set up a multiroom system with a few Alexa devices. One of my Echo Dots is close to my computer that runs the Plex server as well. I've written a batch job that plays sound files based on date and time. These sound files are actual Alexa commands that I recorded with the free program Audacity.

That way, based on date and time, the batch job issues Alexa commands via the computers loudspeakers to the Alexa device that sits nearby and listens.

Sadly this will not work with music played by Plex.

My question: is the multiroom function in the pipeline for Plex development? Or even better... the option to tell Plex to which Alexa device it should stream to?

eg:
Alexa tell Plex playlist xyz everywhere (a group of Alexa devices with that name)
or
Alexa tell Plex to play song xyz everyhwere
or
Alexa tell Plex to play song xyz on living room (name of the Alexa device in the living room)

I'm sure that this would be a useful addition to the Plex server.

Thank you

Answers

• BibluBiblu Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was wondering the same myself - like you I guessed it was some way off as its brand new to the Alexa but be interested if it's already on the radar for the developers

• birchhookbirchhook Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that getting music to play on echo devices is the challenge. It's so great that Plex added this. Adding playback to device groups appears to be a minor addition to the skill.

Please add device group playback to the Plex Alexa skill.

Thanks

• kfortkfort Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Marcel try home assistant hass.io to set up your automation. I would love to tell plex to play music everywhere.

• tim.bender@kenziebug.comtim.bender@kenziebug.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 for this feature. would be really nice when nobody home to use all my attached speakers in the house to play music from plex

• talonscotalonsco Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 from me too. We have a couple of Sonos speakers and whilst it will happily play Amazon Music etc via any speaker, asking plex to play in a room will result in just the echo dot playing. It would be great to be able to get it to play to whatever named speaker was requested :smile:

• jsis0718jsis0718 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 - I would love to see this as well.

• dasimserdasimser Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd love to see this too!

• danhe2000danhe2000 Posts: 1Members

+1 I'd love to see this, too!