If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Intel Nuc with embedded Kodi and Plex addon. Trouble playing 4k (not local)

beeftrashbeeftrash Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having some issues with my HTPC which is a Intel i5 NUC. It has Kodi embedded with Libreelec and Plex add on. I have my home synology server with a couple of 4k movies. Those movies play fine. The issue i am having is when i connect to another server that has 4k and outside my network. I have 300mb download speeds and shouldn't have an issue with streaming but when I play those movies get jerky video and it doesn't syn with the audio.

I am newbie to all this so whatever help you can give me would be great.

Tagged:

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,324Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

just because you have a good download speed doesn't mean the person you are streaming from has a good upload speed.

i dunno what sort of bitrate the file is compared to their upload. also if it is transcoding their server may not be powerful enough to keep up. HEVC can take a lot of processing to transcode

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/articles/201869908-log-files/
  • beeftrashbeeftrash Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel thanks that makes sense. I believe that they have 1GB up and down. Are there any ways for me to test the nuc to make sure it can handle the 60FPS/UHD?

• WireisWireis Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i don’t have much experience with 4K files but is your Nuc getting a gigabit connection from your router?

This could be a potential cause..

• beeftrashbeeftrash Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I will check but i believe it is.

• ersingletonersingleton Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

On the remote PMS system what do they have under Settings>Server>Remote Access>Limit Remote Stream Bitrate? If it is set to anything other than "Original" it will be forcing a transcode to a remote client regardless of the clients capabilities.