If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is there a way to get Plex to not suck?

jeff.johnstonjeff.johnston Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there a way to get Plex to not suck?
Can't find server. (It's on the same computer that's running Plex)
Can't remember movie posters.
Forgets settings.
Can NEVER take ownership of server. (Running on the same computer as Plex.
Crashes constantly.

Comments

• Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 998Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Sorry you're frustrated. Obviously it's not the intention to have those issues! We don't intentionally make Plex suck. Honest! Right, your questions:

Can't find server. (It's on the same computer that's running Plex)

What OS/browser are you using? Are you using the server's bundled app, or plex.tv/web?

Can't remember movie posters.

Are you editing them and they don't stick when you refresh the page? Please can you supply web and server logs?

Forgets settings.

Which settings? This sounds like it could be related to the above. Are you running any extensions in the browser? Again, app logs would be hepful.

Can NEVER take ownership of server. (Running on the same computer as Plex.

Again, could be related to above. Hmm.

Crashes constantly.

What crashes? The server? Please can we have server logs when this happens.

Again, sorry you're having so much trouble. I hope there's a single cause behind all of it! :sweat:

• pkmillspkmills Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm sorry. I have to agree with Jeff. Plex sucks!. I have been running an inhouse Plex server on Ubuntu for maybe 3 years. I try to access my music, movies, and photos from many types of devices, Windows 10, Android, IOS. None of the device apps work the same. It takes tens of minutes to figure out how to find something let alone play it. Artwork for unknown music is incorrectly labeled. Songs get put into "Various Artist" when they reside in a specific artist folder. I have to use the Ubuntu DLNA server just to access a basic playlist. Plex sucks and I don't know why I continue to use it!!!!!!

• DJ-BrianCDJ-BrianC Posts: 395Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sounds like mostly user errors. I have very few issues. Been a lifetime member for over three years. Sure there are things that could be tweaked but nothing you mention is a problem here. It works!

Brian Caouette / www.djbrianc.us
    Running Readynas 316 w/ 6 4tb WD Reds
    Pi2, Roku, Fire Stick, iPad 2, Android phone & tablet, Kindle
    Silcondust Connect & Silcondust Extend w/ OTA roof.