If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Raspberry Pi 3 plex media server

Paul29Paul29 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

I have been using my raspberry pi 3 as a server for yonks now and it has proved almost bullet proof! I genuinely do not you could get better bang for your buck!! I have a 4tb drive connected to it with about 95% of the content being mp4 which means almost everything is direct play or if not its just the audio being transcoded. Saying that I have transcoded other video formats on my home network which has proved fine. After a rather unscientific test I was able to stream 8 direct plays on my home network and two direct plays on my outside network working at 80%CPU which i think is amazing!

I think the vast majority of people who probably have a server for themselves and maybe a few friends and family this set up is very cheap and efficient. After all who wants their power hungry PC on 24/7!!

Anyhow I am always seeing the most complex instructions online explaining how to set up PMS on a raspberry Pi using rasbein etc etc. I tried and failed at this and found it far too complex not user friendly so here is my VERY simple set up..

install openmediavault on your SD card and install as you normally would...
install PMS as a plugin, mount your drives, set your permissions

away you go perfect...

Here's the video I used from Richard Smith which explains everything

Comments

• henk_vd_boschhenk_vd_bosch Posts: 28Members ✭✭

Can it also transcode movies? or is the CPU not fast enough?

• alancurtis2alancurtis2 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That is also the critical question for me...any info on how a Pi3 does with video transcoding needs?
    Especially when coupled with a digital tuner for live DVR things?

Alan

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 898Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

@alancurtis2 said:
    That is also the critical question for me...any info on how a Pi3 does with video transcoding needs?
    Especially when coupled with a digital tuner for live DVR things?

DVR is not a problem, but transcoding is. If you require transcoding get a x86 server. Just take a look at the other threads in the RPi section of the forum.

http://forums.plex.tv/categories/pms-raspberry-pi

Official instructions for Plex Media Server on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : armhf and arm64 Debian Repository
    My PMS hardware: RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon