If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Num CPUs vs speed: NetGear Nighthawk R9000 over Synology NAS 1812+?

adaptableadaptable Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all--

Our router died so I just upgraded our home router to a NetGear Nighthawk R9000. It looks like this router advertises the ability to host Plex. We currently host Plex from our Synology, and I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth the effort to reconfigure to host it off of the router.

• We have a Synology DS1812+ with Dual Core @ 2.13GHz and DDR3 1 GB memory.
  • The R9000 is advertised as 1.7GHz Quad Core (4 CPU) with 512MB NAND flash, 1GB DDR3 SDRAM.

So basically the memory is the same, but the Synology has 2 faster CPUs vs the Nighthawk's 4 slower CPUs. I have been noticing that our Synology's CPU is often pegged at 95%+ due to Plex, and we do on occasion get "your CPU is not fast enough to transcode" errors, so I'm wondering whether tapping into the 4 x slower CPUs would reduce this for us, or whether single CPU speed dominates here.

We have a couple of Nest cameras, but otherwise no significant bandwidth usage -- no gaming, no VR, and our TV can't handle 4K video, in case it matters.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.

Ramon

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,470Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Try the Router. As you have setup a PMS before it should be pretty straight forward.

BUT the nighthawk only talks to media on an attached USB drive.
    (which is pretty stupid considering it's a router) so it isn't really a replacement for your NAS.

Might have been better to buy a cheaper router (Asus RT-AC88U -$250) and buy a Shield Pro as a server

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• adaptableadaptable Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Aaah shoot, I didn’t realize that. So it cannot mount the Synology volumes and serve from there? That’s unfortunate

• Bartlomiej BaraniecBartlomiej Baraniec Posts: 2,012Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@adaptable I don't know where @spikemixture is taking information from but you can mount NAS volumes.
    I'm using PMS on Nighthawk. It's good enough if you want to Direct Play your media around local network, it will handle 1 transcode, maybe 2 small ones. I wrote up small review few months ago: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/260354/nighthawk-x10-my-mini-review#latest
    Shame that Netgear isn't updating PMS recently but it's still solid device. Poke me if you have any questions.

@Bartlomiej Baraniec said:
    @adaptable I don't know where @spikemixture is taking information from but you can mount NAS volumes.
    I'm using PMS on Nighthawk. It's good enough if you want to Direct Play your media around local network, it will handle 1 transcode, maybe 2 small ones. I wrote up small review few months ago: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/260354/nighthawk-x10-my-mini-review#latest
    Shame that Netgear isn't updating PMS recently but it's still solid device. Poke me if you have any questions.

As you pointed out in your review
    Current firmware supports only USB drives for media storage but Netgear provided me a beta version that allows accessing network attached storage

I obviously have read about network drive not working on the nighthawk - before the firmware update

Anyway good news for the OP - let's hear his experience with PMS and nighthawk

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shield Pros (2017 and 2015)
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick, 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• BenvolioPBenvolioP Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would strongly discourage anybody from running Plex Media Server on the R9000!

Like you I wanted to leave my old ReadyNAS to hold just the volumes and replace an old router with the R9000.

I've been wrestling with this for 3 months now, and to sum it up:
    1.) Flash drives (thumb drives) hosting Plex Media Server consistently overheat and crash (I've gone through three of them).
    2.) Escalated to NetGear's Level 2 Customer Care, their engineering team flaked on our scheduled support calls TWICE!
    3.) 3 hours with an engineer using their license of TeamViewer which only allows for 5 minute connections, so we were interrupted for one minute at five minute intervals over two hours when I then forced Skype upon him.
    4.) The engineer had no clue what Plex was about, or why it would take over an hour to build a Library...
    5.) Once solved (with a USB 3.0 extension cable), the R9000 managed to corrupt the Plex folder two weeks later.
    6.) NetGear's engineering team has not touched my case in over 4 weeks.

It's been terrible. Thankfully there's basic DLNA in my Samsung TV....!

• Craig9747Craig9747 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I couldn't agree more BenvolioP.
    All my old PC does is run plex so its always on. I was looking for an alternative for that and my router was getting really old. The R9000 seemed like a good solution. It was not. When the Plex server works, it very slow and dodgy. Notice I said "when" because this thing is so unreliable. Often the fix is to reboot the R9000. Skipping ahead and rewinding via an ATV4 is very slow. Dont bother trying to edit your metadata, posters, or libraries. It often will lockup and need to be restarted. Ive had it for a couple months now and it is on its 2nd USB drive. They run very hot in the R9000. I tried a couple times deleting everything and starting fresh with a different USB3.0 drives. I first put 10gb of movies on there. It mostly worked except for doing any editing in the server. When adding 10gb of music, it was done. Completely unusable. The more metadata you add, the worse it gets.
    Also as a test, I moved the external hard drive from the R9000 and moved it to my old PC and pointed the PC's plex to it, and it worked fine. The issue isn't with the external drive. I also tried pointing the R9000 to my NAS and had the same issue.
    Its a great **overpriced **router that works very well for everything except for plex. If you need this router to run Plex, save your money!!

• ottugi@hotmail.comottugi@hotmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If you have a very small library then, yeah you won't notice any lags. But for anything else, Plex is so slow that it often times out and disconnects. Netgear stuff have been going down the hill for awhile but R9000 is an overpriced nonsense with Plex.

@adaptable said:
    Hi all--

Our router died so I just upgraded our home router to a NetGear Nighthawk R9000. It looks like this router advertises the ability to host Plex. We currently host Plex from our Synology, and I'm trying to figure out whether it is worth the effort to reconfigure to host it off of the router.

• We have a Synology DS1812+ with Dual Core @ 2.13GHz and DDR3 1 GB memory.
    • The R9000 is advertised as 1.7GHz Quad Core (4 CPU) with 512MB NAND flash, 1GB DDR3 SDRAM.

So basically the memory is the same, but the Synology has 2 faster CPUs vs the Nighthawk's 4 slower CPUs. I have been noticing that our Synology's CPU is often pegged at 95%+ due to Plex, and we do on occasion get "your CPU is not fast enough to transcode" errors, so I'm wondering whether tapping into the 4 x slower CPUs would reduce this for us, or whether single CPU speed dominates here.

We have a couple of Nest cameras, but otherwise no significant bandwidth usage -- no gaming, no VR, and our TV can't handle 4K video, in case it matters.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.

Ramon

Ramon,

Any update on your setup?

• adaptableadaptable Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm still working through the options here, but I have to say that the initial results are pretty disappointing. I was able to mount and connect to the Synology volumes from the R9000, but that's about the only thing that happened smoothly:

• Transcoding of TV shows from Plex DVR was not noticeably better than the Synology.
    • Thumbnails often don't show up in the UI
    • What surprised me was the inconsistent performance: sometimes it was easily fast enough to do dynamic transcoding, other times it could not get started without a warning about Plex server speed.
    • Could not get the metadata editing to work, including correctly mis-identified TV series.
    • Did not encounter the overheating problems mentioned by @BenvolioP.

At the moment I've had to revert to the Synology-hosted Plex so my family can continue watching. My next step is to see if I can get them running in parallel, off of the same shared folder space. That will allow me to continue to try to get the Nighthawk to work more reliably.

Frankly, all of this has made me realize that I'm perfectly happy with the Synology except for the transcoding. What I really want is a pure transcoding box with a set-it-and-forget-it model. I'm avoiding buying a NUC because we're a Mac household and I don't want to deal with maintaining and updating a Windows or Linux box. The ideal would be a NUC that was pre-configured to allow Plex to just offload processing to it, sort of a "plug your supercharged CPU box into your existing server" model.