If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Live TV with no cable, antenna or satellite

Sorry in advance, but I have not been able to find a definitive answer on where or not you need to have cable, antenna or satellite. I have internet through my local service provider, but I have no need for cable. I barely watch television and tend to binge watch hulu, netflix and youtube when I do.

Do i have to have Cable, Satellite or an Antenna to be able to get LIVE TV with a Ples Pass? I can't use Antenna's where I am because of interference from local mountain ranges.

Tagged:

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 27,309Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,531Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As far as I know live TV or DVR functionality requires some external signal source that can be tuned by a supported tuner connected to your computer.

I do not think there is any alternative to that.

I never watch live TV because of the same problems you have. I use Sling TV to record various sporting events but I cannot access those, or the live TC part of Sling, through Plex.

I wish there was an interface to allow one of the TV services to be recorded through Plex but I think that is impossible without the service's cooperation and that is EXTREMELY unlikely for all the TV services I know of. But that is one Plex extension I would support.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• xpistosxpistos Posts: 2Members

Olk.

So like every other option available, this is also worthless. I only watch about 7 live events a year, Thanksgiving parade, Academy Awards, Tony Awards and a few others. I used to us USTVNOW, but that isn't working anymore so I am out of luck.

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 695Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You could... set up your Plex server at a friend/family member's house with all the hardware and such to do the job. Then you could watch all of your material remotely over your internet connection.
    Not ideal, and would require a very cooperative partner.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,531Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AmazingRando24 said:
    You could... set up your Plex server at a friend/family member's house with all the hardware and such to do the job. Then you could watch all of your material remotely over your internet connection.
    Not ideal, and would require a very cooperative partner.

Yes, that would work. In fact I have a system setup with a friend on the other side of the mountain range that blocks me BUT I do not use Plex for that. I have a low powered computer that has a tuner and records what I want and zips the files up and downloads them once a day to my system in the wee hours of the morning.

I sometimes miss a recording but that is rare. That system is set for full remote maintenance and my friend almost never has to do anything to it except about once every couple of months it needs a hard reboot.

I would not recommend running a full Plex system that remotely. A properly set up Plex system does not require a lot of maintenance but it does require a lot more than my simple setup needs and I can see many problems trying to run a full Plex system remotely.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 695Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

True, it's not ideal at all... but if you have no signal alternatives... I definitely wouldn't run it that way unless I had no other choice for OTA.
    Also, TeamViewer makes up for a lot, other than the physical pressing of the power button.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"