Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Source code

jwrayjwray Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,268 Plex Pass
A number of you have asked if or where the source code is available either for contributing and/or hacking on your own private version. Well, here it is:

https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public

go at it.

Of course, you'll need to sign up for the Roku developers program (it's free) and read the documentation to figure out how to understand the code (it's written in brightscript, their own language) and upload modified code to your Roku.

Jonny

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,326 Plex Employee
    Bring it on, awesome Plex community :)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• jdavis83jdavis83 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 61 Plex Pass
    Thanks for this Jonny! I've been wanting to learn Roku programming and I always learn best if there is something I can reverse engineer!

P.S. I'm still loving plex on the roku. I'll be ditching cable today because everything I need is on Plex...and now plex is in every room thanks to you (and the Plex team of course!!)
  • MaddMartiganMaddMartigan Members Posts: 10
    Posting this as requested by Alan Morgan.

I'm interested in changed the default graphics for the "icons" on the Roku side for the categories. I followed the route listed below.

Since it's installed in Windows it seemed fairly straightforward to just go and look at the files themselves and find the graphics that looked like what I see on the Roku side. With that in mind, the files that I *thought* would be the ones to change are found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Graphics

The file names are movie-fanart.jpg and show-fanart.jpg. At least those are the two that I'm concerned about. I have searched the rest of the folders for PMS and I don't see any other graphics and certainly not any that are what I see on the Roku. I have also removed and re-added my PMS to the Roku and that didn't change anything. I've rebooted the Roku with no luck. I have three of them running and I've only checked one so far.

I'm not sure I would call this a bug or issue but it would a "nice to have". No offense to the developer but I'm not a fan of the existing graphics. I love it otherwise.

Since the channel is added on the Roku side via the web I'm guessing that these graphics aren't coming from the PMS. It may be a coincidence that I was able to find the same graphics on the PMS.

Thread is here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/36651-how-to-change-default-graphics-for-icons/
  • stormeriderstormerider Members, Plex Pass Posts: 759 Plex Pass

Posting this as requested by Alan Morgan.

I'm interested in changed the default graphics for the "icons" on the Roku side for the categories. I followed the route listed below.

Since it's installed in Windows it seemed fairly straightforward to just go and look at the files themselves and find the graphics that looked like what I see on the Roku side. With that in mind, the files that I *thought* would be the ones to change are found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Graphics

The file names are movie-fanart.jpg and show-fanart.jpg. At least those are the two that I'm concerned about. I have searched the rest of the folders for PMS and I don't see any other graphics and certainly not any that are what I see on the Roku. I have also removed and re-added my PMS to the Roku and that didn't change anything. I've rebooted the Roku with no luck. I have three of them running and I've only checked one so far.

I'm not sure I would call this a bug or issue but it would a "nice to have". No offense to the developer but I'm not a fan of the existing graphics. I love it otherwise.

Since the channel is added on the Roku side via the web I'm guessing that these graphics aren't coming from the PMS. It may be a coincidence that I was able to find the same graphics on the PMS.

Thread is here: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/36651-how-to-change-default-graphics-for-icons/

Not what I meant. I meant to follow the link here and post an issue on github. The direct link is here: https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/issues/new

Thanks!
    Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

watched-fanart.jpg
  • StormwaveStormwave Members, Plex Pass Posts: 73 Plex Pass
    I've already made a Roku channel, so this will be quite interesting, thanks for sharing.

What should we do if we make changes that could be added to the main version? One thing I would like is skins and more options for views, but could I make changes and offer them to be used in the official channel?
  • schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,786 Plex Employee
    Stormwave wrote:

I've already made a Roku channel, so this will be quite interesting, thanks for sharing.

What should we do if we make changes that could be added to the main version? One thing I would like is skins and more options for views, but could I make changes and offer them to be used in the official channel?

Sure! It's hosted at GitHub and I'd say the standard GitHub rules apply. From the repo's README:

Did I already mention we love contributors? Please fork and hack away. Let us know in the forums what you're working on. And of course there's GitHub's standard notes on how best to contribute:

1. Fork it
    2. Create your feature branch (git checkout -b my-new-feature)
    3. Commit your changes (git commit -am 'Add some feature')
    4. Push to the branch (git push origin my-new-feature)
    5. Create new Pull Request
  • J.TylerJ.Tyler Members Posts: 120
    Is this client still under development?
  • mannpmannp Members, Plex Pass Posts: 317 Plex Pass
    J.Tyler wrote on June 11 2014, 7:39 PM: »

Is this client still under development?

If it is then this source code repos is not in sync with the current roku app.

Unraid (6.2)

Synology 1512+

• schuylerschuyler Plex Dev Team Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 3,786 Plex Employee

The public repo has been updated. It was intentionally delayed while the app was being reviewed, and then lagged an extra week as an oversight.

• barry_21kbarry_21k Members, Plex Pass Posts: 56 Plex Pass

anyone got a basic guide to modding the plex app as I would like to learn and see if I can make some tweaks and some ui changes

• coastalstevecoastalsteve Members Posts: 1
    edited January 2015

Just a quick question.  If I was to download the source code and modify it to not have a 30 trial limitation.  Would that be against the licensing?  Im all for supporting roku but there seems to be no legit way (apart from purchasing another plexpass) to install it on a NowTV box.

I realise this account doesnt have a plexpass icon but I do have a plexpass on my other account.  This account is for a friend who wants to be able to watch my shared content but not affect my "on deck" etc.

• Mark SMark S Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

Install/sideload RARflix on NOW TV box thats how I did it.

Download below.

Another user might be tricky?

• cavemanukcavemanuk Members Posts: 8 Plex Pass

Rarflix hasnt been updated for ages.

• cjcoxcjcox Members, Plex Pass Posts: 235 Plex Pass
    cavemanuk wrote on January 22 2015, 7:39 PM: »

Rarflix hasnt been updated for ages.

Ages = months

Just to be clear.  Not years or anything like that.

• Mark SMark S Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

RARflix works perfectly even if not recently updated.

• ZarkbeastZarkbeast Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

How can you watch the Roku channel when at another location with your Roku. Like on vacation and you take your Roku with you. Can you do that or do you have to have your own server and account.

Today is a major day for us, as the completely rewritten Roku channel has graduated from its Plex Pass preview period and is available, for free, to everyone as the v4.0.0 update to the official channel. It also happens to be exactly three and a half years since I personally started working on the Roku channel (+5 days, because the release got delayed since I wrote this). Back then, we had no "official" involvement with the channel, it was the fruit of some truly awesome community members. As such, it was always an open source project and I/we worked closely with the community on new features.

Over time, we were able to devote more of our own time and resources to making the Roku great, and one by one our community members found that "real life" was making it harder to pitch in. For a long while now, we've been doing 100% of the development internally. And with the rewritten version that uses custom screen types, we're not really even sharing a kernel of the old channel. And so, we've decided that it won't make sense for this new channel to be open source. This doesn't change anything about the existing plexinc/roku-client-public repo at GitHub. It will continue to be there, publicly visible, and it is the basis for the (also free) Plex Classic channel. We won't be continuing to develop that channel as we focus on the new version, but you are certainly welcome to it.