If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Alexa/Echo music playback issues

Grooverider2016Grooverider2016 Posts: 44Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi

This has been reported a lot but is there any sign of a resolution yet? I bought my Amazon Echo for its ability to play back music through its own speaker.
The interface works really well and it can browse my library fine. The issue is that it only plays around 20-30 seconds of the song then stops.
I have done some minor testing and it would appear that if after the song stops playing you say “Alexa Play” then the song playback will resume and play to the end of the song. If you say “Alexa Next” however, it jumps to the next song but then stops playing after 20-30 seconds again.
It’s almost like it doesn’t buffer enough of the song on first load but when it’s resumed it has managed to complete buffering for the whole song and so can play it back in its entirety.
Please can we have a resolution to this as soon as possible as at the moment it means Alexa and Echo are pretty useless for music playback

Plex 1.7.2 running on Dell PowerEdge 2950 III x64 dual Xeon, 24GB RAM (ECC), Raid 1 SAS 2x 320GB 15k HDD, 2x 1Gbps Teamed Intel NIC, 4TB Buffalo Terrastore NAS

Answers

• TrinityMaTrinityMa Posts: 21Members ✭✭

Yes i know what you mean they still have not fixed this issue i posted about it on Nov 27th and still have the same problem with long playing songs. short song of only a few mins work fine for me but long tracks. such as the Moonlight Sonata just stop after a few mins. Getting a bit feed up with this issue. Movies play perfectly. but ever since they change it to mp3 music to play though echo speakers it has been a issue. I like it before when it would play mp3 though the player and just had it hooked to my stereo. As you can see here i asked echo to play Moonlight Sonata it started at 8:03 am then stopped after 14 mins of play. and i try to restart it again and it started at the beginning. Moonlight Sonata is 2 hour long mp3 track. Why does it stop if all echo does it send the info to play the track to my server it should not stop the mp3 is fine and plays manual just fine if i use the computer plex player. Fix this somehow.
    Pic included and logs.

• riverbend97riverbend97 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I want alexa to play my music on my AVR and not the echo dot. Is this possible?

• otiswotisw Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Today I learned about the ability to play to Amazon Echo devices from Plex. I found that asking plex to play an audio file does not work on the second generation Echo Dots. It does work on the original Echo Dot and original (big) Echo and Amazon Tap. Possibly this is a firmware issue with second generation Echo systems.

Note that I have 3 of the second generation Dots that will not play, although it accepts the command and responds as if it will play the music. No audio comes out after the response, nor does the server activity show something is playing (both of these work find on the original Echos).

• tillvattier@yahoo.co.uktillvattier@yahoo.co.uk Posts: 1Members

I have an Amazon Echo plus and have any time a new song starts to play it stops after 10-20 second. I then need to say "Alexa resume" for it continue. Sometimes is stops again. Really annoying and does not incite me to upgrade my plex account.

• randalstrouprandalstroup Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Don't bother dealing with a broken system...Check out My Media for Alexa, it's still not perfect, but it'll get the job done, just no bells/whistles like artwork display or a fancy GUI, and perhaps a couple bugs yet also...nothing nearly as serious as Plex's though...
    https://www.mymediaalexa.com / https://www.amazon.com/bizmodeller-My-Media/dp/B06XPP135L

I sure wish the Plex folks would get their acts together and get their issues fixed...their best investment of resources might be to simply buy/implement the My Media folks' tech...if they don't fix the problem soon, they might lose a lot of their customer loyalty/future revenue!! (hint, hint)

edited January 13

I forgot to mention that to get adequate audio quality, currently, I've got my Dot connected directly to my PC speakers via 3.5mm audio cable/line out/in. Not perfect, but it's decent and could work without the PC being on, except for the fact it's serving my music library. It's also worth noting that the Dot/Alexa do not natively support FLAC, so transcoding is needed, which is simple to setup under the "settings" tab of the MMA UI...however, it doesn't seem to work very well, so you'll need to convert your tracks to MP3 or another compatible file type.

edited January 13

(redacted)

edited January 13

(redacted)

edited January 13

(redacted)

Another tip...be sure to either disable Windows Defender firewall or open the appropriate port for MMA.

• amartuccip@gmail.comamartuccip@gmail.com Posts: 5Members ✭✭

@otisw said:
    Today I learned about the ability to play to Amazon Echo devices from Plex. I found that asking plex to play an audio file does not work on the second generation Echo Dots. It does work on the original Echo Dot and original (big) Echo and Amazon Tap. Possibly this is a firmware issue with second generation Echo systems.

Note that I have 3 of the second generation Dots that will not play, although it accepts the command and responds as if it will play the music. No audio comes out after the response, nor does the server activity show something is playing (both of these work find on the original Echos).

My echo works fine and its second generation.

• amartuccip@gmail.comamartuccip@gmail.com Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I have the firmware dd-wrt, I had a similar problem when I upgraded my router to the latest version, I told him to play a song and he said he was going to play it but he did not hear anything, so I downgraded the router and went back to work, I do not know if this has something to do, but they can try to install dd-wrt to the router and they try. I am sorry for my bad english