If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plexamp: A few thoughts on Plexamp

Morten AndresenMorten Andresen Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited December 2017 in Plex Labs

First off: What a wonderful new little app. It's absolutely perfect for daily usage at the computer – something I've not felt the previous Plex apps were as suited for.

A few thoughts:

• If I'm working I'd like not to be distracted by the shifting album artwork, so I'd typically hide the app with command+H on my Mac. Making the app reappear is a bit difficult. As far as I can see, I have to go into the menu, and select some option that changes the app size or the about link, and it'll pop back up. Could the shift+command+space combo be enhanced to "resurface" the app in these scenarios? This could allow for easy purely keyboard-based use of the app.
  • It seems impossible to surface any sort of search UI in the nihilist app size? (See the issue about about "resurfacing" the app)
  • It's probably related to some sort of other installed app and not a fault of Plexamp, but the rating shortcuts are not working for me. I've tried checking the keyboard section under system preferences, but can't see any other apps that have registered those keyboard combos. Do Electron apps allow for publishing these action shortcuts as system services or similar so the keyboard shortcuts may be overriden/modified, or so I can somehow make Plexamp take precedence?
  • The CPU usage of Plexamp is somewhat higher compared to regular iTunes usage. For me iTunes will typically use 0,5–1% CPU while playing, while Plexamp and its helper use a combined 10–18%. Is this an unavoidable function of the Electron base, or could this be an area for optimization in the interest of prolonging laptop battery life? :smile:

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Thanks for the great feedback!

• We'll look into that "app resurfacing" usability issue.
    • Not sure about the rating shortcuts. We don't currently have a way to override those, but I'll make a note (some can be overridden by editing a JSON file).
    • The visualizers definitely take up a fair amount of CPU; we could also probably do a better job of doing less if just album art/soundprint is enabled. First make it work, then make it fast? :lol:

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• Morten AndresenMorten Andresen Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

Great. These are already very minor nitpicks seeing as this is the first public release. It's really something I've wished for many times over the past years, and something I can finally see ditching iTunes as a daily music driver for.

It just occurred to me that concerning the keyboard shortcuts, the search UI shortcut might actually be more in need of the ability to customize the shortcut than my personal ratings problem. Several apps seem to end up competing for those [modifier keys] + space combos, including Spotlight, Alfred, and OmniFocus.

But again, wonderful work!

• mmccurdymmccurdy The Official Mike M Posts: 842Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Pro Tip: you can customize the "activate" key right now if you go in to your config.json (lives in the app support directory), add keys under ui, and set a value for activate:

"ui" : {
        "size" : 200,
        "soundprints" : true,
        "keys" : {
          "activate" : "Shift+CommandOrControl+Space"
        }
    }

• nosaj72nosaj72 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mmccurdy said:
    Pro Tip: you can customize the "activate" key right now if you go in to your config.json (lives in the app support directory), add keys under ui, and set a value for activate:

Sweet! I just changed the ui size to 600, and it got rid of my issue of the window being too small.

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 664Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

sounds garbled on a macbook pro.. a bit better through bluetooth headphones but when the input for the headphones microphone is also selected the audio gets much worse and completely unusable ... so if I am using my computer with the headphones on and want both audio out and audio in (for taking phone calls etc) it doesnt work

also, what, no EQ, no preset EQs, no spatializer, nothing?

is audio leveling supposed to be working right now with the latest plex pass beta server? if so, not sure that is working either.

• jonathangreenejonathangreene Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mmccurdy said:

}
    }

thanks for this! The largest size was still too small for me so being able to set the UI to 600 is a big help!

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,779Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@dragonmel said:
    sounds garbled on a macbook pro..

That sounds like an issue with your MacBook Pro :wink: The audio path is high quality, and it uses whatever your default audio/midi settings are in terms of sampling rate/bit depth.

Nope. It's a small app with big opinions.

is audio leveling supposed to be working right now with the latest plex pass beta server?

Yes, but only if your audio files have been analyzed (e.g. by butler).

• dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 664Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan said:

@dragonmel said:
    sounds garbled on a macbook pro..

That sounds like an issue with your MacBook Pro :wink: The audio path is high quality, and it uses whatever your default audio/midi settings are in terms of sampling rate/bit depth.

PMP and itunes sound better, so cant comment on your comments only to say the source files and settings are the same and the audio is worse.

Nope. It's a small app with big opinions.

I have no idea what that means.. big opinions sounds like marketing jargon and how does that translate from ‘lacking an EQ’ ?

is audio leveling supposed to be working right now with the latest plex pass beta server?

Yes, but only if your audio files have been analyzed (e.g. by butler).

And how pretel can we tell if the butler has analyzed files for leveling.. the library was setup for premium or pass music.. whatever your marketing buzword is for the music section for pass owners... which still lacks as an experiance even to itunes.. which I detest...

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Posts: 213Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can anyone help me find the elusive config.json on a Windows install?

i5-2500K | 20GB DDR3 | 4x3TB WD Red RAID1 | Windows Server 2012 R2 | Plex Media Server
    i7-6700 | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 980TI | Windows 10 Pro | Plex Media Player | PlexAmp
    Samsung UE40K5500 | Plex SmartTV App
    Raspberry Pi 3-B | Plex Media Player Embedded
    LG V30 | Android 7.1.2 | Plex for Android

• nosaj72nosaj72 Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Mine is in this folder:

C:\Users{USER}\AppData\Local\Plexamp\Plexamp

where {User} is the name of my windows account. This is Windows 10.

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Posts: 213Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@nosaj72 said:
    Mine is in this folder:

C:\Users{USER}\AppData\Local\Plexamp\Plexamp

where {User} is the name of my windows account. This is Windows 10.

Thanks! I'm a numpty- was hunting around in roaming appdata! Merci!

i5-2500K | 20GB DDR3 | 4x3TB WD Red RAID1 | Windows Server 2012 R2 | Plex Media Server
    i7-6700 | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 980TI | Windows 10 Pro | Plex Media Player | PlexAmp
    Samsung UE40K5500 | Plex SmartTV App
    Raspberry Pi 3-B | Plex Media Player Embedded
    LG V30 | Android 7.1.2 | Plex for Android

• dwhitmarshdwhitmarsh Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan said:
    Thanks for the great feedback!

• We'll look into that "app resurfacing" usability issue.
    • Not sure about the rating shortcuts. We don't currently have a way to override those, but I'll make a note (some can be overridden by editing a JSON file).
    • The visualizers definitely take up a fair amount of CPU; we could also probably do a better job of doing less if just album art/soundprint is enabled. First make it work, then make it fast? :lol:

I'm also unable to use the ratings shortcut on Mac. Can anyone verify that it works for them?

• solitaryreignsolitaryreign Posts: 23Members ✭✭

Nope, rating via shortcuts doesn't work.

PMS 1.10.1.4602 on QNAP TS-251+ 4.3.4 64bit
    Clients: Mac OSX 10.11.6 OpenPHT 1.8.0 // iOS 10.3.3 Plex 4.24.1 // RPi RasPlex

That's our bad, it's actually Shift+Command+Control+Option+[0-5]. Just tested and it works. Will be configurable in the next release as well.

• solitaryreignsolitaryreign Posts: 23Members ✭✭

Works as stated above but not with the numpad!

PMS 1.10.1.4602 on QNAP TS-251+ 4.3.4 64bit
    Clients: Mac OSX 10.11.6 OpenPHT 1.8.0 // iOS 10.3.3 Plex 4.24.1 // RPi RasPlex

• Morten AndresenMorten Andresen Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan said:
    That's our bad, it's actually Shift+Command+Control+Option+[0-5]. Just tested and it works. Will be configurable in the next release as well.

Way to activate all the fingers there :tongue: But yeah, that combo works – and on the plus-side the combo is probably not already in use for something else! :smile:

I know, I feel like I'm playing piano :lol:

In the next release, you'll be able to customize the shortcuts if you so desire.

• mdeetermdeeter Posts: 14Members ✭✭

@mmccurdy said:

}
    }

Any "key" setting for play/pause? For some reason my system media controls aren't working (Win8).

The next release has full customization of keybindings.

• mdeetermdeeter Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Awesome, thanks!