Our forum migration to Discourse will be going on starting late today June 19 to 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post here for more information https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/319354/well-be-moving-the-forums-to-discourse-heres-the-scoop/
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Suggestions for the future: Headless RPi support!

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 6,981Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We've been using it locally and it's solid, so just need to essentially:

1. Get a one page sign in put together for initial setup.
    2. Package (AppImage or Docker).
    3. Profit!

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• tomsimmonstomsimmons Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, before anyone says it, I'm impatient.

Though I prefer to call it keen.

So, Elan, any update on this? Pretty please.

Tom

• stedanielsstedaniels Posts: 72Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Docker :-)
    armv7, armv7hf, or armv7l and x86/x64 images :-) With all these projects going on you need a full timer packager/package automator!

• christopherruchristopherru Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't wait for the headless version for use on my pi. :)

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 6,981Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Sorry, been away skiing for a few days (I know, the nerve!) Hopefully in the next week or so we can figure out some basic packaging...

• AlekTAlekT Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also have a Raspberry Pi with a Digi+ and currently the only way I've been able to get it to act as a Plex player is via RasPlex, which doesn't come with Shairport Sync. With Plexamp on Pi, I can have both! Looking forward to it!

OK, I am impatient, it's been 11 days already, I'm nearly bald, the Wife has left because I wouldn't shut up about it...

For the sake of world peace, is there an release date pleaseeeeeee

@tomsimmons ~ So sorry, we've been spending some time resolving a few issues (e.g. resuming playback on Windows was slow). I'll see if we can have a look this weekend :sweat_smile:

edited February 28

Thanks Elan

@tomsimmons ~ working on it, promise ;)

@elan - Thanks. I'll keep checking in

@elan - any idea on a release date for this?

Sorry, @tomsimmons ~ been a crazy couple of weeks for me personally, had family in town. I promise I'll get you something to play with in the next week or so :sweat_smile:

Out of curiosity, @elan, is your Pi version of Plexamp set to output bit-perfect audio? Would it be any easier to add support for that in this version considering it's only targeting Linux/ARM?

@AlekT ~ it's not, because I prefer crossfading and loudness leveling, but we'll looking to make bit-perfect mode an option in the future.

What is bit-perfect?

Am I labouring under a misunderstanding that Plex Server and the various players are serving up and producing faithful reproduction of the CD's I tediously ripped at full CD quality using FLAC to preserve the full original audio?

@tomsimmons I wouldn't worry about it. It's to do with sending the correct bit and sampling rate combo to your DAC, making sure that there's no conversion or resampling being done on your operating system. It can be important if you have files at different sampling rates and such, and want to be sure there's no resampling being done. If you've just got CD rips and your audio is set to 16-bit at 44.1kHz, you should be fine. FLAC is lossless, so the audio is exactly the same as on your CDs and the arguments for 'hires' audio with higher sampling rates and bit depth are tenuous at best.

Honestly, you're better off not worrying about it, I was just curious. I'm probably going to set aside some time to go through and replace all the 24-bit/96kHz files I have with 16-bit/44.1kHz files so that I don't have to worry about whether something's 'bit-perfect' or being resampled.

@AlekT Thanks for the explanation.

Having convinced my Old Man that Plex was great and the quality was exactly the same as his CDs and spent all Christmas ripping all his collection to FLAC also...

When all else fails, use foobar2000 or something with the ABX plugin and see if you can tell the difference. I am embarrassed to report that my ears can't tell the difference from 320kbps and VBR MP3.

Better get Barkley on guard duty, @elan! That kind of heresy'll get the Golden Eared Ones after you. Or maybe not, they're probably too busy buying hard-drives to store their 24-bit/192kHz vinyl rips.

Last time I tried it I couldn't tell the difference between decent MP3s and lossless either, and I was probably around 18 so my ears will have deteriorated significantly since then. But then you spend too much money on nice headphones, DACs and amplifiers and find yourself spending too much time faffing about over sampling rates and bit perfection …