If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct Play does NOT work on iOS or Apple TV!

SkylandiaSkylandia Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Direct Play does NOT work on iOS or Apple TV! This is hugely annoying. Direct play should be the easiest best way to stream files, but lately any time my server is direct playing to the Apple TV or any of my iOS devices, it is incredibly glitchy. It stops to buffer every three minutes or so. This does NOT happen when the audio or video are transcoding. I have an incredibly fast router, I used Wi-Fi Sweetspots to check the local speed I'm getting at my ATV, and it's upwards of 500 mbps. Even in the slowest room in my house I'm getting over 100 mbps. The router is a beast and my server is hardwired in via Ethernet to the router . I used Apple's AirPlay to play Brave Heart the other night, and it buffered the entire movie in under 5 minutes, all 8 GBs. Speed is not the issue. Direct Play is broken. Please fix it! I have virtually all my movies encoded in MP4, H264, AC3, and they all direct play. I hate having to sacrifice 1080p quality by telling the server to transcode down to 720p simply to ensure smooth streaming.

If anyone has any tips or workarounds that can help with this I would love to know! Thanks!

Answers

• cephus5cephus5 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also get constant pausing/buffering on my IOS devices when doing direct play from Plex Cloud Server. I found that watching the videos via the website's player (plex.tv -> launch) the whole movie plays without a hitch. Probably a bug in the iOS app???

• mcmcgheemcmcghee Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am experiencing this also and came here looking for a solution. Very annoying. I've tried every combination of settings to make it stop without success.

• karlmitchellkarlmitchell Posts: 46Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. In particular, I get "network speed" issues. Several months ago I didn't. When I switch to Direct Stream it seems to be better, but I still have occasional glitches on iOS. Note that I use an ARM-based server without hardware encoding, and so transcoding is not an option, so right now my Plex setup is effectively broken. I've started using a game console instead.

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 438Members ✭✭✭

Streaming to the Apple TV 4(K) in general is very much not working properly. But Plex is doing all they can to ignore the problem.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 286Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:
    Streaming to the Apple TV 4(K) in general is very much not working properly. But Plex is doing all they can to ignore the problem.

And in that they show really great enthusiasm and competence. You have to respect that.

For what it is worth, direct play as such is technically working for me, I 'just' have the wonderful "Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your Network." issue constantly, so I have to transcode everything to 2-4 Mbit/s for Plex to playback anything properly. All other streaming services work perfectly, so it is only Plex **** up, and that on my own LAN. But apparently the Plex team is acting as if that is a feature.

• Dr ToneDr Tone Posts: 136Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 10

My 4k h265 aac mp4 play back flawlessly to Plex on my Apple TV wired. I assume maybe Plex needs a much larger buffer for wireless to work as everyone expects.

100mbps wireless won't stream 1080p blu-ray quality, period. 500mbps might have trouble as well due to fluctuation as wireless throughput isn't very consistent.

• marcelhehlemarcelhehle Posts: 286Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 10

mp4 plays fine, mkv doesn't. D'oh!

And NO, converting all my mkv's into mp4's isn't a solution to the problem.

@marcelhehle said:
    mp4 plays fine, mkv doesn't. D'oh!

And NO, converting all my mkv's into mp4's isn't a solution to the problem.

mkv play fine for me, a simple remux unless they contain subtitles. h265 video doesn't work in mkv currently without a full transcode but the server fix is coming for that.

• darding12darding12 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

My iPhone X running the latest iOS seems to Direct Play perfect, but my Apple TV 4K will pause after a few minutes with "Your connection to the server is not fast enough to stream this video. Check your Network."

I tried streaming directly to my LG C6 and that seems to work flawlessly as well.

NOTE: these are all Wireless connections

• Martin...Martin... Posts: 62Members ✭✭
    edited January 10

Sadly it's because the player does not work.
    Find more info in this thread:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1588903#Comment_1588903

@Dr Tone said:
    My 4k h265 aac mp4 play back flawlessly to Plex on my Apple TV wired. I assume maybe Plex needs a much larger buffer for wireless to work as everyone expects.

>

100mbps wireless won't stream 1080p blu-ray quality, period. 500mbps might have trouble as well due to fluctuation as wireless throughput isn't very consistent.

And how would you then explain that other non-official Plex clients can direct play the exact same content, from the same servers, just perfect? Heck, there's even clear proof that the tvOS and iOS clients buffer the wrong way in another thread! Even an un-compressed Blu-ray doesn't max out a 100 Mbps wireless connection.

So please take your periods and read up on stuff, before you try to act all knowledgeable about them.

edited January 11

Even an un-compressed Blu-ray doesn't max out a 100 Mbps wireless connection.

So please take your periods and read up on stuff, before you try to act all knowledgeable about them.

Really? There is no way in hell a 1080p blu-ray rip will stream problem free on a 100mbps wifi connect as the original poster indicated and I was replying to. In fact a wifi connection indicator of 100Mbps won't stream a uncompressed blu-ray properly either, overhead and regular wifi signal/strength fluctuation will make it a stuttering mess.

PS) M = megabyte ... m = megabit

Do a little research and be knowledgable before posting.

• darding12darding12 Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dr Tone said:

MB=megabyte Mb=megabit

Also, my videos are 1080p 5.6Mbps that are not Direct Playing correctly on Apple TV. They play fine on LGtv OS. So this isn’t a bandwidth issue

edited January 11

@darding12 said:

@Dr Tone said:

MB=megabyte Mb=megabit

Also, my videos are 1080p 5.6Mbps that are not Direct Playing correctly on Apple TV. They play fine on LGtv OS. So this isn’t a bandwidth issue

Yes correct, my bad. A blu-ray rip is up to 55Mbps and a wifi network connection indicator of 100Mbps is maximum and will vastly fluctuate below and won't deliver it without stutter and buffering no matter the client. I spent allot of time trying to get my blu-rips to play over strong wireless N over the years and just gave up.

I have lots of 1080p approximately 5.6Mbps content and they direct stream fine to my Apple TV over a strong wireless AC. I assume you mean direct stream? Direct Play on an Apple TV would require a mp4 container, h264 and aac and already burnt in subtitles if there were some.

PS) I have a plex server capable of 5-6 full on blu-ray transcodes. So with direct stream remuxing, it doesn't break a sweat.

• Northstar666Northstar666 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have noticed that I was able to watch all of my movies from my Plex server running on my Win7 computer, however something has changed in the last 6 months odd and now it will only airplay MP4 formatted movies, it wont play AVI, MKV or any other format than MP4. I haven't changed any of my settings so I'm guessing its actually happened via the Plex Server updates. My apple TV is gen 3 so the updates stopped for that a while back, it is really annoying and I'm thinking maybe I find an old Plex server version and reinstall it ....