If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Home members to watch Live TV????

sjones0812sjones0812 Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I received an email this morning talking about how we can now enable Plex Home members to watch Live TV.

In the link of learn more...it tells you how to enable it, but that option is not there.

I am on the latest Plex update and there is not an update pending.

Am I missing something?

Best Answer

• sjones0812sjones0812 Posts: 51Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

For the new "Share Live TV" option here is how you use it.

This needs to be done on your local Plex web console. The online web app doesn't have the share option under friends.

If you do not have a tuner or the DVR option setup this will not work.

Go to Settings, Users. Select either Home users or Friends users and under Restrictions select the "Allow Access to Live TV" option.

Then the user should see a "Program Guide" option on their list now.

Answers

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 367Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same for me Version 1.11.0.4633

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    3 iPads, 2 iPhone 6, 1 iPhone 7 Plus & and iPhone X. 2 x Mac Mini & 2 iMac.

Works at: DigiRAW Disc-to-Digital

• littlegeeklittlegeek Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

upvote lol i too do not see this option

• msroestmsroest Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. I was just trying to set this up last week when I found it wasn't available. This is awesome that it will be now but seems like it's not actually turned on yet.

• misticalmistical Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

It's available now (or at least rolling out). It's under Users > Restrictions settings.

edited December 2017

Great, guess Plex can push stuff without a server update. Never knew that.

I tried it, but it didn’t seem to work

So now that I have the option I see this....

Allow access to Live TV
    Enabling this option will allow this user to access Live TV streams. It requires a library on the Plex Media Server that has DVR configured to be shared with the user.

Anyone know what this means?

• wmunirwmunir Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I still don't see the option there, despite having Plex pass and home users set up. Any suggestions to get the option activated? Thanks.

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 367Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wmunir said:
    I still don't see the option there, despite having Plex pass and home users set up. Any suggestions to get the option activated? Thanks.

Ditto - Plex Employee to the rescue?

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    3 iPads, 2 iPhone 6, 1 iPhone 7 Plus & and iPhone X. 2 x Mac Mini & 2 iMac.

Works at: DigiRAW Disc-to-Digital

Looks like it is working now for “Home” users. I do have the option under friends to enable live TV. But it doesn’t work

• littlegeeklittlegeek Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just checked again today any its there. I don't know if i like the idea that plex can magically receive updated options. but i have it and its working great.

So I logged in via plex.tv, and setting showed up. If I login via my local Plex server IP address, the setting does not show up at all.

Despite setting it to on, my home users still don't have the ability to watch live TV.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Accepted Answer

This needs to be done on your local Plex web console. The online web app doesn't have the share option under friends.

Go to Settings, Users. Select either Home users or Friends users and under Restrictions select the "Allow Access to Live TV" option.

@sjones0812 said:

Instructions are great, only not working for me. Following this exactly, but the setting actually shows up in the online web console for me but not on my local server. And either way, still doesn't actually work.

Any suggestions on how to fix? Running latest 1.10.x server on shield TV. And guide and tuner work fine on master user account just can't get home users set up. Thanks.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,875Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@wmunir said:
    So I logged in via plex.tv, and setting showed up. If I login via my local Plex server IP address, the setting does not show up at all.

Despite setting it to on, my home users still don't have the ability to watch live TV.

Any ideas? Thanks.

The latest Plex Server bundle does not have the web client bundled with the necessary changes to do live TV for users. For now you have to go through plex.tv and use the online web client.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

I am running my server on Windows 10, wonder if there is any difference running the server on Shield TV?

Here is what I am seeing- Version 1.11.0.4633

Plex.tv web app:

Home users: settings, users, (username), click on the pencil, restrictions, then check Allow access to Live TV.
    Friends: settings, users, Friends, (username), click on the pencil, restrictions, no option to Allow access to Live TV.

Local web app on my server:

Plex.tv web app:

Home users: settings, users, (username), click on the pencil, restrictions, then check Allow access to Live TV.
    Friends: settings, users, Friends, (username), click on the pencil, restrictions, then check Allow access to Live TV.

When I enable those options in both the web app, and IOS app I see a Program Guide option and it work for both Home users and friends.

Very strange. I have the exact opposite experience in terms of where the option shows (ie in web app but not local server app). Only I can't see the program guide or live TV info in the home accounts.

• fm5150fm5150 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had the same problem and then I noticed I was on version 1.10.1.4602 and there were no updates available according to the GUI. I had to enable the beta update channel to get 1.11.0.4633. The setting is in Settings/Server/General at the bottom of the page. After the update, the Live TV setting is available on the local web app in addition to the Plex.tv web app, and the program guide is now available for all my shared users from within the web app and the android clients.

• terag1eterag1e Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

FWIW I could only get this to work for Home Users, not Friends and not Home Users that I graduated up to Home Status when adding a new Home User. As far as I can tell, this works for Managed Users (that is the specific terminology seen under the user name in the Home section). I also had to upgrade to the 1.11 version even though I did not have a banner indicating a new server update was available.

• terag1eterag1e Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

UPDATE: This works for Home Users that are "friends" that have been invited to the Home group. I confirmed this earlier tonight with a family member. Disregard the comment implying it only works for Managed Users.

• grodiusgrodius Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wmunir said:
    Very strange. I have the exact opposite experience in terms of where the option shows (ie in web app but not local server app). Only I can't see the program guide or live TV info in the home accounts.

this is the same for me. the option appears in the web app only, but even when enabled the option to stream does not appear on any of the home accounts.